12 day Sun

debnjoe1438

Just thought I'd tell a little good bad and ugly about my 12 day Sun. Really was a great trip.

The only UGLY, was the nasty cold (possibly flu) I picked up on the last day of the trip. One week later and I still don't feel normal yet. On disembarkation, our room steward had the sniffles. I sure hope Jerico didn't feel as bad as I did. He was a sweet kid and good room steward. Always smiling and singing.

A couple of negative - buyer beware, some of the Aft section of the Sun still has the sewage smell. A couple DH and I were traveling with had an aft balconly on deck 9. They could not use the balcony as the smell was so bad. The first couple of days they were told they could not be moved as the ship was full. One day there was a "temporary" fix done. Fix didn't last long. At Cartenagna they were moved to a balcony on 10 which was much better. Apparently someone was to meet the ship at Cartagena and didn't. Issue resolved. :)

IMHO if NCL can't fix the issue maybe they just shouldn't book the affected cabins.

On day one and two there was a buy 20 beers for $75.00 special. (Beers around the world). Waiter on day 2 of the special stated "can't get this, it was a missprint". Next day told the hotel director about the issue, got the 20 beers for $75.00. Issue resolved :) (It wasn't a missprint)

DH and I came across only one person who was less than friendly. This lady worked in the Jewely shop on the Sun. (Columbia Emeralds) I wanted to see some gold chains, and she acted like it wasn't worth her time to show them to me. Well, DH spent quite a bit of money at a Jewely store on St. Thomas. NCL's loss, St. Thomas's gain. :)

One highlight of our cruise was Key Lime Pie. At the meet and greet the Chef stated, if you want something, ask for it. On night 2 10 of us at dinner asked our waiter George about Key Lime Pie. He told us it was on a rotation. DH repeated what the Chef had said. George special ordered Key Lime pie for us to have the next night. The key lime pie on night 3 for the 10 of us was wonderful. Better than the first night. On day 11 we once again asked for the pie. One our last night we had another wonderful Key Lime Pie.

George was great, DH and I would request his table most nights. I was surprised on the last night. Went to Four Seasons and requested George. We were told George was in the Garden Cafe. Ok fine, Joe stated George had put in a special order for us. (He was wanting to know if another waiter would be able to get this.) At that moment the hostess went and asked the Resturant Manager if George could come back to the Four Seasons and someone else take his place at the Garden Cafe. We were plesantly surprised, George was brought back to the Garden Cafe for us.

Overall it was a wonderful trip. The Cruise director and his staff were wonderful, entertaing, and just nice people. We enjoyed all the shows, some better than others. The weather was fantastic and ports of call great. Unfortunately, at the moment, the memory is foggy, and the body is getting weak.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer. :)

Glad to hear you had a great trip. We're on the Sun in just a few days! I will have to remember what you said about the Key Lime pie. Great tip.

Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?

No we didn't do any specialty restaurants. Haven't done any in years. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

If you see George in Four Seasons, please tell him the group of ten who ordered the pie miss him. :)

Look out for "Hector the crazy Mexican" he is a hoot. :) (Part of Cruise director staff)

Welcome back! I am sorry you got sick but at least it was at the end of the trip!

We are with Mrs. Squirrel, boarding next Thursday and I have been hoping for reviews so thanks so much!

Hope you feel better!

Jai

Welcome back! I am sorry you got sick but at least it was at the end of the trip!

We are with Mrs. Squirrel, boarding next Thursday and I have been hoping for reviews so thanks so much!

Hope you feel better!

Jai

Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

For anyone interested we were in cabin 0312, inside, under the pool. The cabin was a great size, with plently of room to move about and lots of storage. As for noise from the pool deck, not much. Every morning I heard deck chairs being moved, and I figured that was my alarm clock. :)

Every night after the show Richard, the cruise director "had a story". Most were lame, but cute none the less. :)

FYI, Modernos, up on deck 11, is a good place for a quick breakfast. They advertize this as a "contential breakfast". However, you can get eggs fried to order, omlets, waffles, pancakes, french toast, boiled and scrambled egges, various fruits and meats, sweet rolls and bread. Also, coffee, milk, juice, tea, water.

Thank you for your review. Glad you had a good but sorry to hear you are sick. Lots of colds/flu going around. Just a quick question about the bucket of beer special - $75.00 for 20 beers. Do they give you all 20 beers at once?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No they didn't give all 20 at once. (Might could have gotten all 20) Anyway they give a card for 20 differernt beers. Everytime you get one they punch a whole in the card for the one received. DH did get several at time. (bucket) The beer was shared amoung the group.

Just thought I'd tell a little good bad and ugly about my 12 day Sun. Really was a great trip.

The only UGLY, was the nasty cold (possibly flu) I picked up on the last day of the trip. One week later and I still don't feel normal yet. On disembarkation, our room steward had the sniffles. I sure hope Jerico didn't feel as bad as I did. He was a sweet kid and good room steward. Always smiling and singing.

A couple of negative - buyer beware, some of the Aft section of the Sun still has the sewage smell. A couple DH and I were traveling with had an aft balconly on deck 9. They could not use the balcony as the smell was so bad. The first couple of days they were told they could not be moved as the ship was full. One day there was a "temporary" fix done. Fix didn't last long. At Cartenagna they were moved to a balcony on 10 which was much better. Apparently someone was to meet the ship at Cartagena and didn't. Issue resolved. :)

IMHO if NCL can't fix the issue maybe they just shouldn't book the affected cabins.

On day one and two there was a buy 20 beers for $75.00 special. (Beers around the world). Waiter on day 2 of the special stated "can't get this, it was a missprint". Next day told the hotel director about the issue, got the 20 beers for $75.00. Issue resolved :) (It wasn't a missprint)

DH and I came across only one person who was less than friendly. This lady worked in the Jewely shop on the Sun. (Columbia Emeralds) I wanted to see some gold chains, and she acted like it wasn't worth her time to show them to me. Well, DH spent quite a bit of money at a Jewely store on St. Thomas. NCL's loss, St. Thomas's gain. :)

One highlight of our cruise was Key Lime Pie. At the meet and greet the Chef stated, if you want something, ask for it. On night 2 10 of us at dinner asked our waiter George about Key Lime Pie. He told us it was on a rotation. DH repeated what the Chef had said. George special ordered Key Lime pie for us to have the next night. The key lime pie on night 3 for the 10 of us was wonderful. Better than the first night. On day 11 we once again asked for the pie. One our last night we had another wonderful Key Lime Pie.

George was great, DH and I would request his table most nights. I was surprised on the last night. Went to Four Seasons and requested George. We were told George was in the Garden Cafe. Ok fine, Joe stated George had put in a special order for us. (He was wanting to know if another waiter would be able to get this.) At that moment the hostess went and asked the Resturant Manager if George could come back to the Four Seasons and someone else take his place at the Garden Cafe. We were plesantly surprised, George was brought back to the Garden Cafe for us.

Overall it was a wonderful trip. The Cruise director and his staff were wonderful, entertaing, and just nice people. We enjoyed all the shows, some better than others. The weather was fantastic and ports of call great. Unfortunately, at the moment, the memory is foggy, and the body is getting weak.

Golly, what a awful way to spend a vacation, even part of one: sick~~~We were on , deck 9 on our last Sun cruise in December. I think it was the same cruise you took, but it wasn't 12 days, just 11. Yes, we had a slight sewage odor only the first two days and only once or twice; it wasn't enough to make a difference. In fact I totally forgot about it til you mentioned it right now.

Didn't know about Medernos for breakfast, we did know about lunch. That is good to remember. I wonder if this holds true on all NCL ships.

Edited by newmexicoNita

No they didn't give all 20 at once. (Might could have gotten all 20) Anyway they give a card for 20 differernt beers. Everytime you get one they punch a whole in the card for the one received. DH did get several at time. (bucket) The beer was shared amoung the group.

Thank you for the info. Had visions of lugging 20 bottles of beer back to the cabin. :D. Hope you are feeling better.

Wow! Loved hearing about the key lime pie and George! Glad you had a great time!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are big beer drinkers and you've made our day with the news about the beer special. We'll be on board in late April/May--hooray! :D