1-2-3 package a rip off

timbom

Looking at booking a three day cruise to BAHAMAS.

Cheapest price with beverage package is 379$. Cheapest price without 199 (same cabin type).

I am shareholder in RCL so will get additional 50$ credit on cruise without beverage package (1-2-3 don't allow shareholder disc.).

Total extra for two with beverage package is 360$ on three day cruise and if you add in credit 410$ for a three day cruise. What a rip off especially as wife does not drink.

Be careful on this special you never get something for nothing

Well, it depends on the cruise.

For example, last Dec we got the 123 package for abour $50 extra pp for a 7 night cruise. C3 for $950.

So it was worth it.

Our Dec cruise this year (14 night 2 holiday), the lowest price for our cabin was $2550, which we got as a price drop during a sale (C2).

We could have gotten the package by re booking and paid an extra $350 or so pp, which, if we both drank, would be a good deal.

The cabin, with the drinks package is now $4199 or so. Each. So now it's a rip off.

So you're right, be careful. But sometimes you can get something for next to nothing!

I will disagree, it's not a rip off but it's also not for everyone. If you think that Celebrity is giving away the drinks, gratuities or shipboard credit you are mistaken. These feebies are built into the cost of the cruise. You mention your wife doesn't drink so of course the free drink option doesn't work for you.

A friend recently booked a 7 day caribbean cruise and could have saved $400 total by booking a discounted rate rather than taking the 1,2,3 package. She decided that $400 for free drinks was worth it.

Lastly, when you compare Celebrity's pricing to that of it's competition I still see the prices comparable but include one of the free items which the competition is not including.

Cheapest price with beverage package is 379$. Cheapest price without 199 (same cabin type).

I am shareholder in RCL so will get additional 50$ credit on cruise without beverage package (1-2-3 don't allow shareholder disc.).

Total extra for two with beverage package is 360$ on three day cruise and if you add in credit 410$ for a three day cruise. What a rip off especially as wife does not drink.

Let me understand! For $398 you get meals, lodging, and entertainment for 2 people for 3 days on a beautiful ship in the Caribbean and because they won't include free, unlimited liquor, it's a ripoff? I'm surprised any shareholder would think like that.

Actually not 100% correct. When X released the 1-2-3 promotion we added it to our 13 night EQ cruise. We had to pay the going rate at the time of adding the drink package. The added cost was $500.00 total. Well worth it considering the cost of the package per day for two people for thirteen nights.

Edited by cruisingator2

Rarely in life does one get something for nothing. The beverage package is not for everyone and you really need to "do the math" to see if it is worth it for you. Some times it is.....some times it is not. But to characterize it as a rip-off is a little extreme.

Let me understand! For $398 you get meals, lodging, and entertainment for 2 people for 3 days on a beautiful ship in the Caribbean and because they won't include free, unlimited liquor, it's a ripoff? I'm surprised any shareholder would think like that.

$398 for two? Where the heck do you find these kind of deals???????

Ok, how do you work the web site to give a price with or without the 123?

My guess is that the $199 price is some type of residency price or special price, which isn't combinable with the 123 Go Deal. As has been said figure out what is best for you.

For us, a couple times now we have been able to add the beverage package for no cost and prices on our sailings just went up from there so it was a great deal for us!

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

Experience of a X addicted European cruiser, used to book the premium drink package: Well, this time we booked a cruise (Venice to Rome 23rd Sept. 2014) around 18 month in advance to get a specific cabin (Silhouette C2 1108 hump cabin). We got it for around 4400 €. Mood situation: :) About 3-4 month later we noticed a price drop, called the TA and the new price was 4100 €. Mood situation :D Then the (expected) 1-2-3 promo was offered a few month ago for new bookings only, worth over 900 € for this cruise, new bookings only. Cabin price new 4400 € (not incl. 1-2-3). Mood situation: :confused: The price development of a C2 since then: 4600.... 4800 ... 5200... 5400 ... booked out. Current mood situation: :cool:

My conclusion (s)

- If you look for a specific cabin, don't care about 1-2-3

- If the cabin doesn't matter, go for 1-2-3 stuff but book that asap

- If you love cruising with X, play the cabin price game ;)

Cheers Balt

$398 for two? Where the heck do you find these kind of deals???????

The March 3, 3 night Bahama cruise is $149 pp + tax. But not until this Tuesday. See the current Tuesday special flyer. There is a $40 pp residency discount of the $169 rate.

Edited by Tagsalong

The problem is that most promotions are not combinable. We had this problem recently where we booked and got the 123 promo. I few months later I noticed the price of our Cabin dropped, so I called Celebrity. I was told this new rate was because of a residency promo. I was told we couldn't combine the two, I picked the residency promo since it far exceeded the price it would have cost to buy the drink package. So you need to keep an eye on prices and other promos that might come up that is better.

Talked with my agent at VTG and he said he wish's this promotion would go away.

He stated almost every time he did the math for cruises less than 60 days out you could save money by not taking the 1-2-3.

He said only time it makes sense is on cruises which were very popular.

Prices shown on their web sight do not usually reflect the 1-2-3 price but most economical. You need to call for 1-2-3 price.

Really strange marketing if you ask me.

FYI I am looking at 5 day cruise for 199 pp. Know it is hard price to believe but this is still off season in the States.

I like the promo.

It is a nice incentive and something that I wouldn't purchase if it wasn't included, for one my wife claims that we don't need it but if it is included she will naturally accept it.

With or without it Celebrity still has to be competitve with the other lines and everyone has the choice of choosing the cruise line that they feel is the best value.

I am very pleased with the what we paid. On Reflection, for a balcony 1C we paid around $1,000 pp including all taxes, beverage package and $150 OBC. Not a bad deal since on most lines a balcony cabin with nothing goes for that much or more. Less than we paid last year for a 10-year old Princess ship with no benefits.

So dont get it.

Rarely in life does one get something for nothing. The beverage package is not for everyone and you really need to "do the math" to see if it is worth it for you. Some times it is.....some times it is not. But to characterize it as a rip-off is a little extreme.

The voice of reason! :-)

So dont get it.

The voice of reason! :-)

Tim, the Ruby Princess is doing 3/4 day sailings out of the Port of Houston now. No need to fly to Fl, heck you could catch a cab to the port and save a ton on the air. We were on the Ruby in 2012, and tho it is not close to sailing Celebrity, it would be cheap.

( Tim is the OP )

Edited by wallie5446

Talked with my agent at VTG and he said he wish's this promotion would go away.

He stated almost every time he did the math for cruises less than 60 days out you could save money by not taking the 1-2-3.

He said only time it makes sense is on cruises which were very popular.

Prices shown on their web sight do not usually reflect the 1-2-3 price but most economical. You need to call for 1-2-3 price.

Really strange marketing if you ask me.

FYI I am looking at 5 day cruise for 199 pp. Know it is hard price to believe but this is still off season in the States.

I don't think you get shown a different cabin fare by including or not including 1-2-3. I do think the cruise lines increase the all the fares prior to offering the 123 special promotion period.

To verify, just enter BEV123GO in the Promotion code box when pricing out.

Yea I'm pretty happy with the package. 10 night C2 for $1,309 pp with package which is over $400 pp if purchased otherwise. I've never seen a 10 night C2 for less than $1,000 unless maybe last minute.

Will the price go down, maybe. The price of the AQ already went up over $700 pp so my thoughts of an upgrade are gone :) Combine the package with the TA OBC and my Celebrity Passage and I'm pretty happy. And yea, my Celebrity Passage was so old I was able to combine them.

So, I'm going to say it is not a rip off.

enjoy

We paid nothing extra...so it was most definitely NOT a rip off! Last year we werr watching the prices and it was $1,099/pp for our cabin...then a few weels later when Celebrity started offering the 123GO promo our cabin was still $1,099/pp...we obviously jumped on it immediately and got the alcohol package FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST! Your broad generalization is not true for eveyone...

We paid nothing extra...so it was most definitely NOT a rip off! Last year we werr watching the prices and it was $1,099/pp for our cabin...then a few weels later when Celebrity started offering the 123GO promo our cabin was still $1,099/pp...we obviously jumped on it immediately and got the alcohol package FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST! Your broad generalization is not true for eveyone...

I agree with you! We were also watching prices, our cabin actually went down in price when they had the 123 go promo. We were really happy with the deal. I do not feel ripped off at all. :)