St. George on your own ?

GreenValleyDogWalker

We usually don't take "ship sponsored" shore excursions in countries where we speak the language - and somewhat know our way around - however - we are thinking of taking the NCL Excursion that includes transport to the ferry, ferry tickets both ways, and some sight-seeing in St. George (in a 6-passenger mini-van) to try to avoid the long lines at the ferry (?) as well as have a guide to show us the "sights" in St. George.

Is that a good idea - or should we try to do it on our own ?

Not sure we need to hire a "taxi-guide" - will he take us on the ferry ?

Comments/suggestions gratefully accepted !

THANKS

There's no need to pay for the ship's excursion. We've always gone everywhere on our own in Bermuda.

First, the ferry is a very short walk from your ship's dock. No need for transportation as long as you're able to take a short walk. I doubt NCL is actually providing transportation between the ship and the ferry because it would take longer to load and unload a vehicle than it would to walk it. And I also doubt that you could avoid the line for the ferry by taking their tour.

You can easily buy your own ferry tokens (or transportation passes or ticket booklets if you're going to make more use of the bus and ferry system during your stay).

The ferry doesn't carry cars, so a taxi driver/guide can't help you out there.

There's lots of information you can access on the Internet to learn about sites you may want to visit. For example, there's a map of a suggested walking tour posted here: http://www.stgeorgesfoundation.org/about/walking-tours/, and a self-guided tour suggestion here: http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_000028.htm .

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for the quick reply !

I am a little confused - all of the other posts regarding the "ferry from the dockyard" seem to be regarding the ferry to Hamilton - is it easy to take the ferry to St. George ? Pick up at same location ?

Also - do you know if Fort Catherine is within walking distance from "downtown" St. George ?

THANKS !!

We usually don't take "ship sponsored" shore excursions in countries where we speak the language - and somewhat know our way around - however - we are thinking of taking the NCL Excursion that includes transport to the ferry' date=' ferry tickets both ways, and some sight-seeing in St. George (in a 6-passenger mini-van) to try to avoid the long lines at the ferry (?) as well as have a guide to show us the "sights" in St. George.

Is that a good idea - or should we try to do it on our own ?

Not sure we need to hire a "taxi-guide" - will he take us on the ferry ?

Comments/suggestions gratefully accepted !

THANKS[/quote']

You don't need an excursion to do St George. All you need is ferry fare. Here are some walking tours:

SBtS

Thank you for the quick reply !

I am a little confused - all of the other posts regarding the "ferry from the dockyard" seem to be regarding the ferry to Hamilton - is it easy to take the ferry to St. George ? Pick up at same location ?

Also - do you know if Fort Catherine is within walking distance from "downtown" St. George ?

THANKS !!

The ferries to both Hamilton and St. George's leave from the same location at the Dockyard. There will be signs (and people) telling you where the lines form for each.

Fort St. Catherine is within walking distance of St. George's but it's a fair distance (I guess a mile or so) and uphill, so it can be a little taxing particularly in hot, humid weather.

Thanks to all of you for your help... !!!

OK - we wanted to do 2 things - take the ferry to St George

and see Fort Catherine -

sounds like no problem we'll find the ferry - take it over to St. George - and take the mini-bus (or walk - depending how hot it is) to Fort Catherine - then take the ferry back to the cruise port

also - thanks for the link to the walking tour of St. George

• 4 weeks later...

If you are spending the day in St George make sure you eat at Tavern By The Sea & order the fish & chips. It's the best fish I ever eaten.

We rented an apartment last year in St George & this year we are doing a cruise just so I can go eat there again.

Fort Catherine is just past Tabaco Bay

Last year we took the ferry to St George and explored on our own including Ft. St. Catherine all by foot. It is a long walk but doable if you bring water and take your time (we did it with an 11 year old). The walk allowed us to view the sites in St George on our way out of town and the Unfinished Church. I recall someone at the Fort mentioning that there was a free shuttle back to town but we wanted to explore so we continued to walk and check out the beaches and talk to some of the locals. The toughest part about walking is that many roads are not well labeled.