Question about using Princess transfers

Melcoug

We'll be using Princess transfers for the first time in order to travel from IAH to the Bayport cruise terminal as it appears to cost roughly the same amount and allows us to travel car seat free. Because we'll be coming from the West Coast, we are flying in a day early. When looking at the instructions for the transfers, it says to meet the agent in baggage claim at 11:30 am. :(

We like to get to the port early and board as quickly as we can. It's an hour drive to the port so the earliest we'd arrive is 12:30. Now I know they will have buses available for those with earlier same day flights. Has anyone checked in with the Princess agent earlier and been allowed to board the earlier buses? Ideally, I'd shoot for 10am. I don't see why it would matter since they leave when the buses fill up. But if we'll be forced to wait until 11:30, I'd rather just hang out in the hotel room. I also understand the fog issues with Bayport. I'll be checking the webcam first!

Looking for advice based on personal experiences. Thanks!

I took the Princess transfer a year ago to Galveston and assume it's essentially the same thing to Bayport. If it were me, I'd update my cruise Personalizer that I'm arriving on a flight between 8:30-9am... Find a flight from SD that arrives at about that time, and then see what the meeting time is on your Personalizer, go to the terminal where the airline's baggage claim is and meet the rep there. Princess doesn't check flight plans, just that there's a flight arriving at that time.

I think I can offer some input here! We did the same. Flew in from LAX the night before to IAH. We missed our first shuttle from the hotel to the airport which was 10am. So we caught the 11am one. Got to the airport in about 10 mins. The transfer people said they were already almost full with the first bus which holds about 50 ppl. So if you get to the airport around 10 you will be pretty much certain you will be on the first bus.

Keep in mind that Princess doesn't allow pax on until a little later than other lines. But when you are allowed on, the cabins will already be ready. I think you will still have to wait some at the terminal, whether it be check in line, or waiting to board. You can click on the link in my siggy if you wish to read my lengthy review.

I took the Princess transfer a year ago to Galveston and assume it's essentially the same thing to Bayport. If it were me, I'd update my cruise Personalizer that I'm arriving on a flight between 8:30-9am... Find a flight from SD that arrives at about that time, and then see what the meeting time is on your Personalizer, go to the terminal where the airline's baggage claim is and meet the rep there. Princess doesn't check flight plans, just that there's a flight arriving at that time.

I don't think there's any need to change the Personalizer with a fake flight. They don't even check your flight arrival time, only checking to see if you are on the list of people who paid for the transfer. Last Nov it seemed like first come first served. You get a number and they call out a number range for those people to board the bus.

OP, Listen carefully for your number. Even though we sat close to where they were calling numbers, we couldn't hear and had to go up and ask an employee what numbers they were on. We waited a long time and they were past our number by almost 50 people by then. We still made it on the second bus, but barely.

I think I can offer some input here! We did the same. Flew in from LAX the night before to IAH. We missed our first shuttle from the hotel to the airport which was 10am. So we caught the 11am one. Got to the airport in about 10 mins. The transfer people said they were already almost full with the first bus which holds about 50 ppl. So if you get to the airport around 10 you will be pretty much certain you will be on the first bus.

Thanks for the details regarding your experience, Whataboutport. That is helpful! We will shoot for 10 am if it's a fog free morning. :D

I noticed when inputing our flight info, it asked for the record locator number, so I didn't consider faking a flight. Plus I'm not sure I would be able to find a same day flight that arrived earlier than 11:30am. :confused:

I was on the Jan 11 cruise. We came 3 days early. We arrived at the airport at 9:15 and was on the first bus which left around 10 am for the port. They give you a card when you check in with the Princess. The earlier you show up the earlier you get on a bus.

Edited by RDC1

I was on the Jan 11 cruise. We came 3 days early. We arrived at the airport at 9:15 and was on the first bus which left around 10 am for the port. They give you a card when you check in with the Princess. The earlier you show up the earlier you get on a bus.

Good to know, thanks so much!

Yes, we purchased the transfers already. I think this is the only cruise I've ever taken where it seems to make sense to buy them. When we sailed Disney last Fall, we were able to rent a car at MCO and drop it the next day in Port Canaveral for about a third the cost of Disney's transfers.

We'll be using Princess transfers for the first time in order to travel from IAH to the Bayport cruise terminal as it appears to cost roughly the same amount and allows us to travel car seat free. Because we'll be coming from the West Coast, we are flying in a day early. When looking at the instructions for the transfers, it says to meet the agent in baggage claim at 11:30 am. :(

We like to get to the port early and board as quickly as we can. It's an hour drive to the port so the earliest we'd arrive is 12:30. Now I know they will have buses available for those with earlier same day flights. Has anyone checked in with the Princess agent earlier and been allowed to board the earlier buses? Ideally, I'd shoot for 10am. I don't see why it would matter since they leave when the buses fill up. But if we'll be forced to wait until 11:30, I'd rather just hang out in the hotel room. I also understand the fog issues with Bayport. I'll be checking the webcam first!

Looking for advice based on personal experiences. Thanks!

My personal experience with Princess transfers: We arrived at LAX and was greeted by a Princess rep. She walked with us to get our baggage. In the meantime, there was another couple waiting for their luggage and asked the Princess rep to help them. They got their luggage and the Princess rep left us high and dry. We had to go looking for a Princess rep to tell us where to meet. That was Disappointment #1.

Disappointment #2. We sat for a good 45 minutes before boarding the big white bus. We sat on the bus for another 25 or so minutes waiting for it to fill up. Finally on our way we get to the ship. However, we had to sit on the big white bus again for 45 minutes while 2 other buses unloaded passengers and luggage. Why couldn't they have let us off the bus and walk to the ship which was less than 1/2 block if even that? Once we were herded off the big white bus, we walked to the check in desk with no problem.

Disappointment #3. We were told to meet in the Santa Fe lounge at 8:10 am to disembark. We sat there for over an hour and 15 minutes and people were getting antsy because they had flights to catch. We were cleared by customs over 30 minutes after arriving to the Santa Fe lounge and then it was one excuse after another by Princess. Finally, we were released from the lounge and headed to customs. Another big long line! Another 30 minutes just to get to customs, then to retrieve our luggage. We finally found our 2 pieces of luggage and headed out the door to find the big white bus. We were taken to the big white bus going to LAX. We sat on the bus another 30 minutes waiting to fill it up. Once we got to LAX, we waited until the luggage was taken off. Luckily we walked right to Southwest baggage and was able to get our luggage checked in there.

For the record, when we got home I immediately called Princess and cancelled our transfers for the next cruise to Alaska in May. Never again will we use Princess transfers - ever! We'll use Shuttle Express - same price and less waiting and hassles. We'll also self disembark.

Edited by elliair

I'm confused. OP talks about "meeting the rep in baggage claim" but states they are "arriving a day early". Why would you travel back to the airport to catch a shuttle to the cruise port?

What am I missing? Personalizer for our August trip shows pick up at airport to hotel, then a pick up at our hotel to be transferred to the port. We are arrive on Mon and sail on Wed. No times yet for us of course.

OP,

Just wondering . . . Since you're arriving early, on the day you need to go to the ship, couldn't you arrange to have your transfer pick you up at your hotel and take you to the port for embarkation?

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm confused. OP talks about "meeting the rep in baggage claim" but states they are "arriving a day early". Why would you travel back to the airport to catch a shuttle to the cruise port?

What am I missing? Personalizer for our August trip shows pick up at airport to hotel, then a pick up at our hotel to be transferred to the port. We are arrive on Mon and sail on Wed. No times yet for us of course.

I understand your confusion. We did not book our flights or hotel with Princess. Just the transfers. We arrive in Houston at 10 pm and have two smallish children with us, therefore we have opted to stay at the Marriott hotel that is literally IN the airport (Orlando also has a hotel in the airport which is fabulous when you have a 6 am flight home). We can walk to the hotel after collecting our bags. In the morning, all we need to do is walk back to baggage claim and meet with the Princess agent who will be meeting arriving passengers. No cabs/hotel shuttles, no car seats, no hassle! Without kids I might opt for a different scenario, but this one works for us.

I have no idea how it works when you book everything with Princess or are leaving from a different port. As I said, this is my first time using cruise line transfers.

If you book your hotel through Princess, they pick you up at the hotel on the day of the cruise and take you to the port. If you arrange your hotel privately, the only way to use a Princess transfer is to go back to the airport to meet the transfer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you have hotel booked through Princess, they will pick you up at your hotel and take you to port. If you did not book the hotel through Princess you have to go back to the airport and take the bus to port from there, together with the passangers that arrive on the embarkation day.

Does anyone know where you meet the Princess agents in HOU? Would love to hear from someone who used the Princess transfers there? Anything you could share that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know where you meet the Princess agents in HOU? Would love to hear from someone who used the Princess transfers there? Anything you could share that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

They are in the area near baggage claim. You will see reps from Disney, Princess and others. The reps are there for cruises sailing out of Bayport/Houston and Galveston. They are sitting at a small folding desk with a big sign of their cruise line, and in uniform with name tags. You cannot miss them.

My personal experience with Princess transfers: We arrived at LAX and was greeted by a Princess rep. She walked with us to get our baggage. In the meantime, there was another couple waiting for their luggage and asked the Princess rep to help them. They got their luggage and the Princess rep left us high and dry. We had to go looking for a Princess rep to tell us where to meet. That was Disappointment #1.

Disappointment #2. We sat for a good 45 minutes before boarding the big white bus. We sat on the bus for another 25 or so minutes waiting for it to fill up. Finally on our way we get to the ship. However, we had to sit on the big white bus again for 45 minutes while 2 other buses unloaded passengers and luggage. Why couldn't they have let us off the bus and walk to the ship which was less than 1/2 block if even that? Once we were herded off the big white bus, we walked to the check in desk with no problem.

Disappointment #3. We were told to meet in the Santa Fe lounge at 8:10 am to disembark. We sat there for over an hour and 15 minutes and people were getting antsy because they had flights to catch. We were cleared by customs over 30 minutes after arriving to the Santa Fe lounge and then it was one excuse after another by Princess. Finally, we were released from the lounge and headed to customs. Another big long line! Another 30 minutes just to get to customs, then to retrieve our luggage. We finally found our 2 pieces of luggage and headed out the door to find the big white bus. We were taken to the big white bus going to LAX. We sat on the bus another 30 minutes waiting to fill it up. Once we got to LAX, we waited until the luggage was taken off. Luckily we walked right to Southwest baggage and was able to get our luggage checked in there.

For the record, when we got home I immediately called Princess and cancelled our transfers for the next cruise to Alaska in May. Never again will we use Princess transfers - ever! We'll use Shuttle Express - same price and less waiting and hassles. We'll also self disembark.

I think Houston or Galveston is the only port I would use a cruiseline transfer. That or Super Shuttle. But I didn't know about SS at the time. Yes we had to wait, and yes it was not without problems, but I think for the price we paid we got where we needed to be in a fairly timely manner. I was satisfied with the service.

My instructions in Cruise Personalizer specifically say baggage claim in Terminal C.

Thanks melcoug. I am at my mother in law's for the weekend and don't have my paperwork handy.

I know it did state where to find them in regard to terminal. I was really hoping for some insider info like I got from the previous poster. That's why I love CC! You can find out so many things before you ever leave home! Thanks for the heads up on the terminal.

I understand your confusion. We did not book our flights or hotel with Princess. Just the transfers. We arrive in Houston at 10 pm and have two smallish children with us, therefore we have opted to stay at the Marriott hotel that is literally IN the airport (Orlando also has a hotel in the airport which is fabulous when you have a 6 am flight home). We can walk to the hotel after collecting our bags. In the morning, all we need to do is walk back to baggage claim and meet with the Princess agent who will be meeting arriving passengers. No cabs/hotel shuttles, no car seats, no hassle! Without kids I might opt for a different scenario, but this one works for us.

I have no idea how it works when you book everything with Princess or are leaving from a different port. As I said, this is my first time using cruise line transfers.

Now I get it...... I think I would opt for same thing with the 2 children. Have a great time.

We are also staying at the Marriott to avoid the hassles involved with airport/hotel and hotel/airport. BTW, one of the two hotel choices in Houston is the Airport Marriott. I think it was about $89 PP, tax and transfers included.

They had two meeting points. The main one was at the United baggage claim area in terminal C at the information desk. They had three people at the desk.

They apparently had another one in terminal B because the bus would go from C to B on the way. I used the one in terminal C.

We are also staying at the Marriott to avoid the hassles involved with airport/hotel and hotel/airport. BTW, one of the two hotel choices in Houston is the Airport Marriott. I think it was about $89 PP, tax and transfers included.

Good to know! My husband is military, so I managed to get us a good military rate which helps make it much more economical for the 4 of us.

Now if I could just figure out where to buy a couple bottles of wine in the airport, we'd be all set!

My instructions in Cruise Personalizer specifically say baggage claim in Terminal C.

Probably because your flight is scheduled to arrive at terminal C or E. Luiggage for both are picked up at C.

They will have reps at every terminal where flights with Princess passengers are scheduled to arrive.