Venice Itinerary Feedback Please?

cleobella

I wonder if I could get some opinions on our 48 hour day Venice Itinerary. We arrive around noon and then we have a 2 hour walking tour booked for 4pm, will take vaporetto there to enjoy the canal views. Then the next day we will take the vaporetto back to the Doges Palace, see the Palace and do the Secret Itinerary Tour. Then spend the afternoon exploring Venice a bit on our own. I was thinking that we would take a ride out to Murano and Burano around 4pm. Does that make sense? Could we do these two islands in the early evening, maybe have dinner at one of these locations? Then the following morning (SAT) is cruise embarkation, I thought I might check out the Academie Art Gallery before we sail as it is not too far from our hotel.

I am especially concerned about our timing for Murano and/or Burano. Any comments?

As a general itinerary, sounds fine, just have a back-up plan. Then have another back-up plan to your back-up plan.

I have found in my 7 trips to Europe, things rarely go as they are planned to. You have to learn to go with the flow.

A lot depends on the time of year you are there. We arrived on Oct 28th to them already experiencing flooding from the acqua alta. Do a google search and you will see some excellent shots of it.

We arrived in the rain, and it continued off and on for the three days we were there. We were able to get to Murano the one day, but they shutdown the route to Burano, the rain, winds & rain were making it impossible for the vaporetto to travel across the lagoon. It took forever to get back to San Marco from Murano.

Have a great cruise!

I can't speak to your planned trip to Murano and Burano, but if your walking tour does not include a detailed visit to the interior of St. Mark's, I strongly urge you to set aside time for this. Don't forget to go upstairs to the museum to see the original bronze horses up close as well as getting a good view of the interior mosaics and a gorgeous view of St. Mark's piazza from above.

DW and I have learned to avoid having specific itineraries and prefer to just have some goals and then let things flow (in other words, plans can change). But regarding your "itinerary" we do see a major problem. You mention taking a "ride" out to Burano and Murano in the late afternoon. You need to consider that simply getting to Burano can take as long as 1 1/2 hours (one way) depending on your starting point within Venice. Toss in a visit to Murano (a lot closer and easier to access then Burano) and that part of you Itinerary might not be a great idea for late in the day.

Hank

I am especially concerned about our timing for Murano and/or Burano. Any comments?

If you have never been to Venice before, I would edit these out of your plan.

Too much time and effort for little reward, compared to all that can be seen within the main part of the city.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I can see what you are saying about the issues with Murano/Burano. I think we will focus on Venice itself and if the opportunity presents to go to Murano then that will be a bonus. I really wanedt to bring back some small lace doilies for our house as a souvenir so that's why I was thinking Burano but I didn't know it would take so long to go out there.

We went out to Murano and did some shopping, came back and found the same/better items in a small shop near our hotel for less money. . .go figure. I'd rather spend my time in Venice. Even to Murano took a long time. On the way back, we got off on the 'top' of the island and walked back to our hotel in about 10 minutes, saved ourselves half an hour at least.

If you have time, you might want to catch the Peggy Guggenheim home/museum. We enjoyed the setting as much as the artwork.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I can see what you are saying about the issues with Murano/Burano. I think we will focus on Venice itself and if the opportunity presents to go to Murano then that will be a bonus. I really wanedt to bring back some small lace doilies for our house as a souvenir so that's why I was thinking Burano but I didn't know it would take so long to go out there.

I agree with the others. I really enjoyed Murano and will definitely visit Burano next time. But with your limited time, it's wise to play it by ear. I think wandering around will take up much more time than you anticipate.

There is info, including transportation advice for each island in these links:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-islands-tour-murano.htm

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-islands-tour-burano.htm

You don't say in your post when you'll be in Venice, but I think the thing you haven't accounted for is the timing of the Vaporettos. Sometimes a boat comes right away -- but sometimes it's too full to get on. Sometimes it's an express boat that doesn't stop where you want -- or maybe worse, the local which stops a lot and therefore takes forever. If it rains hard, they just stop running altogether. I love the vaporettos -- a great thing to do is get up early and snag one of the seats up front and just do a full circuit -- but they are not schedule-friendly.

Murano is fun to see glass being blown, but it's only a good place for shopping if you're in the market for something large and unusual… and expensive. If you want to buy glass earrings or necklaces or small figures you probably are better off shopping in Venice.

And the Academia is Wonderful -- don't miss it -- just takes an hour.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have never been to Venice before, I would edit these out of your plan.

Too much time and effort for little reward, compared to all that can be seen within the main part of the city.

This is very good to know. May I ask a further question? I'd really like to purchase a piece of Murano glass, but have heard that there is a lot of "fake" glass in Venice that is actually imported from China and that to be certain to have authentic Murano glass we should buy it on Murano. Do you agree with that opinion?

This is very good to know. May I ask a further question? I'd really like to purchase a piece of Murano glass, but have heard that there is a lot of "fake" glass in Venice that is actually imported from China and that to be certain to have authentic Murano glass we should buy it on Murano. Do you agree with that opinion?

Only you can decide that. We saw a small (maybe 4" horse) being blown on our demonstration. I wanted to purchase it, but they wouldn't sell it. When I started looking in the shops on Murano, they wanted $100 for that little horse. I decided I didn't really need it.

Fast forward two days, we were wandering on the Rialto Bridge waiting for our walking tour guide to arrive. I found a small 4" horse and the shop owner said it was from Murano and had a nice Murano sticker attached for $50, so I bought it. Is it really blown on Murano, I have no idea but it will suffice as my souvenir from Murano.

I have bought lace in Belgium, so didn't miss not getting to Burano too much. I find the places noted for something usually charge outrageous prices for their merchandise.

Hungary has been the only place in my 8 trips to Europe that have had exceptional deals. Everyplace else has been terribly expensive, and I've only purchased small momentos of the trip. Have a great trip!

Venice is the most beautiful city and a great place to wander and get lost. I wouldn't pack too much in to your day as your day will disappear around you. the Rialto Bridge, while very touristy, has everything you would want and prices not too touristy. Take time out to eat a Gelato sitting with your legs dangling over the water, get lost around every corner, wander the back lanes, and just soak up the city. Of course there are some musts, St Marks Square, Grand Canal ride etc, but try not to overplan your stay, just let it happen would be my best advice.

Enjoy, it is so beautiful.

I think what people are trying to say between the lines is Venice is not a place that lends itself to a schedule or a strict plan. There are highlights, sure. But everything in Venice is beautiful, and every minute you spend there is unique in its way.

People say "go ahead, get lost" but they don't explain what that means. It means following your nose and suddenly finding yourself looking into a beautiful display window of actual designer clothes or handbags. Free to look at - so gorgeous! Or suddenly coming around a corner and finding you're at the Rialto market - where Tybalt and Mercutio fought a sword fight in Shakespeare - and where people are eating fresh strawberries today.

Set a few objectives for sure. Then set off and see where you get to. Turn a corner and see what comes next. Don't go too fast. It's the most visual place I've ever been, so take the time to fill up your eyes.

I think a lot of the glass sold in the Kiosks is actually "seconds" from Murano. Nothing wrong with that - the beads are gorgeous, but the findings (the clasps and so on) are crappy. You can re-string it back home and put on better findings from Michael's. Remember, when you're seeing hundreds of a thing, they all look mundane. When you take it out of its environment, it could look special.