Carry on luggage question.

atate75

My wife, 14 y/o daughter and I are going on our first cruise in May onboard the Carnival Dream. I have read that once we board the cruise ship that we may not have access to our room for a couple of hours and to pack our carry on accordingly. We are planning on each of us packing one bag for the trip. It will be a carry on and we do not plan on checking any bags. My carry on is 21 x 14.5 x 8 inches with a duffle that will be strapped to it with a travel bungee. I can fit all of my things with room to spare and it shows to conform to carry on luggage rules. My question is: what is the procedure for boarding with carry ons and is there really a 2 hour delay to access our cabin? Thanks in advance.

We just took carry ons but we had FTTF so we were able to go to our rooms right away which helped. Otherwise if you board normally it depends on the port/ship for boarding time but all the other cabins aren't ready until 1:30pm. So as far as getting around and eating lunch you'd just have to go grab food one at a time so one person is by your stuff at all times. Then just find a comfy place to hang out until your cabin is ready so you don't have to lug it around .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife, 14 y/o daughter and I are going on our first cruise in May onboard the Carnival Dream. I have read that once we board the cruise ship that we may not have access to our room for a couple of hours and to pack our carry on accordingly. We are planning on each of us packing one bag for the trip. It will be a carry on and we do not plan on checking any bags. My carry on is 21 x 14.5 x 8 inches with a duffle that will be strapped to it with a travel bungee. I can fit all of my things with room to spare and it shows to conform to carry on luggage rules. My question is: what is the procedure for boarding with carry ons and is there really a 2 hour delay to access our cabin? Thanks in advance.

Plan on the cabin being ready about 1:30 or so unless you have FTTF. What we do is get a table and have one person stay with the bags while taking turns to get lunch.

As far as boarding, you'll go through a security screening like you do at the airport although you don't have to take off your shoes.

If your suitcase is less than 24"x16" it is ok to carry-on the ship. (Please note if you are flying to the cruise, carry-on rules vary). We also only do carry-on luggage, and I take a suitcase 20'x15" and a personal bag (A tote-think beach bag or very large purse ;-) I carry my bathing suit in the tote and change in the public bathroom on the Lido. We have our DOD, our swim and hot tub dip before the room is ready. I just keep the suitcase and tote within sight. BTW, haven't needed anything that wouldn't fit in a carry-on, and our travel plans always are at least a week in duration. Have a great cruise!

We only travel with 1 carryon each + either a backpack or a large tote. If you can carry your bags yourself without help you will be OK. There may be ramps and stairs to climb before you get onto the ship. I don't know your specific ship but on some occasions we found it easy to drop bags into our staterooms before they were ready.

The doors into the cabin hallways were not closed or locked. You may not want to leave your things in that manner so you'll have to just keep them with you while you go to the Lido to eat lunch. One person watched the bags while the other get food and so on. It is not really difficult.

I just called Carnival and fttf is sold out. I wish they would have offered that to me when I booked the cruise. Maybe it was already sold out when I booked. We are leaving on the Carnival Dream May 11-18 from New Orleans. It shows that the ship embarks at 4 p.m. What time should we arrive? We are driving from Alabama so it is only about a 4.5 hour trip. What is the earliest time that we will be able to board the ship?

I just called Carnival and fttf is sold out. I wish they would have offered that to me when I booked the cruise. Maybe it was already sold out when I booked. We are leaving on the Carnival Dream May 11-18 from New Orleans. It shows that the ship embarks at 4 p.m. What time should we arrive? We are driving from Alabama so it is only about a 4.5 hour trip. What is the earliest time that we will be able to board the ship?

The ship leaves at 4 p.m. Embarkation depends on the port, but I usually get to the port by 10:30 am and onboard before noon in Tampa.

I don't believe you can purchase FTTF when you book. It's listed as a shore excursion on the website so watch and see if anymore become available.

I will keep a check on it. That's what the lady at Carnival said to do. Thanks to everyone for your replies. This is our first cruise.

Also, make sure you know what documents you need for boarding and set a reminder or something to bring them. You don't want to have to drive home because you forgot them!

If you do Faster to the Fun which is $50 per cabin not per person you can go to your cabin as soon as you board if not then there is a delay on when you can get in your cabin. It is very hard to maneuver larger carry on luggage around the deck because it is very crowded until they get all the cabins ready.

I will keep a check on it. That's what the lady at Carnival said to do. Thanks to everyone for your replies. This is our first cruise.

Our cruise was also sold out of FTTF when we figured out we were interested. We had joined the roll call for our cruise and one of our cruise critic members posted that 20 more were available about 40 days out. We were able to purchase one before they were sold out again. Just keep checking back and you might be lucky.

We are on this sailing too.

Here's what I would do if I were you:

Since you are driving the day of, just leave around 8 am and get to NOLA around noon. Do your check in and security stuff and you should be able to walk straight on board.

Eat lunch taking turns watching the bags, and by the time you are finished your room will be ready.

Or post in the roll call and someone with FTTF or who is platinum may be willing to help store your bags until your room is ready (in their room).

We've got a pretty good roll call going for that particular sailing, come join us!

FTTF was sold out for our cruise too. I was determined to get it. I checked twice a day, everyday and finally two opened up and I snagged them. It was less than a month before our cruise. It was worth every penny to me! We also arrived at the port at 10:30 and were one of the first 50 people on the ship! Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get fttf and your room will be ready when you board.

You are on the same sailing I am on. We have a roll call thread going if you haven't found it yet. Here is a link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1874557 I purchased FTTF back several months ago when I first booked. Just keep checking your online account under excursions for New Orleans. There may be others opening up. Many have posted that they purchased it just a couple of weeks before their cruises. I would check it daily.

With FTTF I plan to arrive at the port between 10:00 and 10:30 We live in Mobile so less than a 2 hour drive for us.

My husband and I have just finished a cruise on the Miracle. While onboard, I happened to get a locker while using the hot tub one day, and noticed that the locker is pretty big...my carry-on would have fit in there, no problem. It's free to use the locker...you just submit your sail+sign card in exchange for a locker key.

So, maybe if you want to ditch your carry-ons before the cabins are opened, you could try a visit to the gym and get a locker! You can get a locker for each sail+sign card if needed.

I don't know if all the lockers are as large as the ones on the Miracle...I've never used the ones on other ships.

Just wondering, we have 3 cabins. If only 1 gets the FTTF, could we store all the luggage in that 1 room. We will try to get all 3 in the FTTF, but heard that is sometimes hard to do

Yes you can but only the occupants of that room will get the other benefits like priority boarding.

Plan on the cabin being ready about 1:30 or so unless you have FTTF. What we do is get a table and have one person stay with the bags while taking turns to get lunch.

As far as boarding, you'll go through a security screening like you do at the airport although you don't have to take off your shoes.

This is exactly what we have done for everyone of our cruises. We have never had a problem. Yes, it is a little inconvenient but you're on a cruise so who cares! On our next cruise we will try to get the FTTF deal if we can. However, we won't lose a second of sleep worrying over it if we don't.

Depending on what time you board the ship...yes, you could have to wait up to 2 hours for your cabin to be ready for your use. So, either board later (after say 1:30p; try to buy the FTTF ($50 - not per person); or suck it up!;)

Whatever you decide...I hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

Edited by mousey