Looking for O cruisers just back from Cape Town to Singapore cruise

pacheco18

Your roll call is already removed or I would have posted there.

I have booked private guides for every port on this cruise for 2015 EXCEPT Male, Maldives.

I am having an awful time finding any operator to do a shore excursion. If anyone on the prior cruise has a suggestion or recommendation (or can tell me we do not need a tour), I'd love some help.

You need to book a resort there for the day. Not much to do there and the actual city can be done in an hour on your own. If you are a shopper then you may enjoy the city more, but everyone that shopped talked about how expensive the city was.

Can u recommend a resort or two?

If you want to go to a resort, that’s fine, but you don’t need a guide to explore the city.

I’ve been to Malé twice. Please consider that the waters can be very rough, causing delays in tendering, which can snarl a plan to meet a private guide.

Within easy walking distance of the port, just to the right of the tender dock, is the fish market, where the ship’s chefs will no doubt purchase fresh fish for that night’s dinner. The indoor produce market is across from the fish market; you can see and sample some unusual products; the friendly vendors were generous in their samples.

A few blocks from the dock is a wonderful local museum, with natural artifacts and items of historical interest, definitely worth a visit. Also, the local library has a gallery with changing exhibits. The beautiful modern mosque is nearby too. On a side street we found a café that had a lovely enclosed space with free internet. Another quest took us to the left of the dock area, to find local postage stamps; we had our choice of some beautiful commemoratives.

I like to explore on my own and have a serendipitous experience. I’m sure there’s lots more to see.

-Sukey-

We were there for two nights, so you can explore the city on one day and do a resort on the next. The ones Oceania uses are good, but less expensive if you arrange on your own. The ride out to the resort was a bit rough as the water tends to be rougher in the morning and you are going against the waves for most of the resorts. The ride back was smooth. Snorkelling was great and you could do it right from the beach. We came back a bit earlier to ensure we were back in plenty of time for the tenders.

You do need to be conservatively dressed while onshore as this is a Muslim country. One of the younger passengers was going to a resort and was showing a fair amount of skin and must have felt the looks she was getting from the various men waiting around the tender area for a looky loo.