Summit NY to Bermuda in June

Beachdude

Hi All

Woohoo, going on another Celebrity Cruise.

We are pretty experienced cruisers, but the Bermuda trip is our first. We are spending three days in NYC before the cruise, so we are looking for suggestions for both NYC and Bermuda.

Early June seems like a good time of year for NYC. Of what I understand we are staying in a hotel just a few blocks from Time Square. Not renting a car, just taxis and subways. So what to do, what to do.

We love good food. We don't eat a lot, but enjoy great taste. Don't be afraid to suggest your favorite. We enjoy venturing to the little out of the way places too, although NYC might be a little intimidating, we trust the forum.

We want to see the obvious sites of NYC, which includes a good museum. But we don’t have a lot of time, so which museum would you recommend for a half day?

We were going to take in a Baseball game, but none are scheduled during our stay.

As for Bermuda, we know nothing at all. Can we pack to dress about the same for each place? I understand that Bermuda has some dressing expectations. We want to dress well, but not take a whole lot of clothes.

I know I need to ask the same questions in the destination forums and I will, but the largest number of experienced Summit Bermuda cruisers are on this forum, so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks ahead for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Hi All

We are pretty experienced cruisers, but the Bermuda trip is our first. We are spending three days in NYC before the cruise, so we are looking for suggestions for both NYC and Bermuda.

Early June seems like a good time of year for NYC. Of what I understand we are staying in a hotel just a few blocks from Time Square. Not renting a car, just taxis and subways. So what to do, what to do.

We love good food. We don't eat a lot, but enjoy great taste. Don't be afraid to suggest your favorite. We enjoy venturing to the little out of the way places too, although NYC might be a little intimidating, we trust the forum.

We want to see the obvious sites of NYC, which includes a good museum. But we don’t have a lot of time, so which museum would you recommend for a half day?

We were going to take in a Baseball game, but none are scheduled during our stay.

As for Bermuda, we know nothing at all. Can we pack to dress about the same for each place? I understand that Bermuda has some dressing expectations. We want to dress well, but not take a whole lot of clothes.

I know I need to ask the same questions in the destination forums and I will, but the largest number of experienced Summit Bermuda cruisers are on this forum, so I thought I'd start here.

Burt

Most tourists to NYC usually take in a play, and staying near Times Square, you wont be far from the theater district.

If you could swing tickets to either Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, Wicked or Motown the Musical, certainly try that! The best shows on Broadway right now IMHO! If you are here on a Wed, they have matinee shows.

Museum....I would go to the Museum of Natural History, so so much to see and do there.

If possible try to go see the 9/11 memorial...it will take your breath away.

Foodwise...in the Times Square area is a very popular restaurant called Carimines. It is family style Italian and is quite good. If you want some Old World Italian, take the subway to Little Italy (downtown NYC) tons of restaurants, cobblestone streets and Ferraros pastry shop...espresso and cannollis!

Can't go wrong with any steakhouse in the city. If you like mob history, try dinner at Sparks Steakhouse. It's were John Gotti had Paul Castellano gunned down right outside the doors.

Good burgers...okay, now my mouth is watering....try a little place called PJ Clarkes. They have a few locations...one at 3rd Ave and 55th St, another at 44 W 63rd St and also down at World Financial Center.

You dont say what dates you will be in NY, but I am surprised that the NY Yankees or NY Mets will not be playing. Usually if one is playing away, the other is playing home. Double check their schedules.

Bermuda is one of our favorite places. Been there on the Summit the last two years the first week of June both times.

Weather will probably be a bit warmer there then in NY in June.

Alot of first timers to Bermuda like to hire a certified taxi/tour driver and see pretty much the entire island (he will take you to all the popular sites)

You can find info on this on the Bermuda board here on CC.

Horseshoe Bay is a favorite destination of many.

Last June we were lucky enough to have found out about the Coco Bay Resort which will give you access to their pool, their beach (which is Elbow Beach) and lunch for a reasonable fee. I think last year it was $50 pp, but I think it has gone up.

Definately check the Bermuda board...filled with tons of info on things to do.

Enjoy your cruise!

Great stuff, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will check the dates on BOTH teams because I'm not sure my source (Lovely wife Sally) knows there are two teams. LOL.

We do plan on a show, we've heard Jersey Boys is really good. We would like to go to both Little Italy and Little China. Sparks sounds great.

This is a really good start. Keep adding as you'll think of more. Sally is a CPA and our daughter is getting married in May, so she will be whipped. We typically try to relax on our cruises, but we are planning on 20 hours a day in NYC to get as much as we can in. We will sleep-in first cruise morning.

Sally is thinking about shopping for some clothes got get the latest in styles, would that be 5th Avenue?

Burt

Sally is thinking about shopping for some clothes got get the latest in styles, would that be 5th Avenue?

Burt

If you plan on shopping on 5th Ave you better have a very high limit credit card! By all means, do stroll 5th Ave if you have the chance.

Take a walk into Tiffany's and browse....

Visit the Plaza Hotel across the street....

FAO Schwarz is a child's dream toy store, stop in and see all the amazing things they have and the candy dept.

Trump Tower is a couple of doors down from Tiffanys....

Rockefeller Center is a couple of blocks away....

Of course, St Patricks Catherdral....

All of these are within walking distance from each other on 5th Ave starting around 50th St.

If you're wife wants to shop and not pay ridiculous prices, go to the famous Macy's where they have the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

It's on 34th and 7th Ave.

Great prices and some good bargains....floors and floors of merchandise!

If Ellis Island is open in June that would be my number one choice as far as museums go. It's really educational and has been closed since hurricane Sandy. http://www.nps.gov/elis/index.htm

Go to the R-Lounge in Times Square for a wonderful view. It's in the Marriott Renaissance (not to be confused with the Marriott Marquis which is across the street from it)http://rloungetimessquare.com/

As for restaurants- the Boathouse in Central Park is definitely worth a visit in June. It's lovely and they have good food but it's the experience that matters and it's great.http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

I love Mexicano Rosa across from Lincoln Center. The tableside guacomole is excellent- as are the margaritas.

http://www.rosamexicano.com/newyorkcity/unionsquare/index.php?action=page&id=1976&group_id=1955&location_id=9

Clothing for the cruise is summer time clothing- Capris are fine. Nice summer dresses with sweaters will work well. Snorkling is great in Bermuda. There is a ferry that takes you to Hamilton- it's easy and convenient. Bermuda is safe and clean and there are taxis to take you anywhere you want to go. It's easy.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

June is a perfect time to visit Bermuda. The weather is warm but not as humid as July and August. It is one of our favorite destinations and we were there on the Summit last year. One can get around the island by both ferry and bus. So much to see and do but a day at the beach is a must and Elbow Beach is beautiful.

NYC another favorite - P.J. Clarke's is a hoot, especially the one on 3rd avenue. What worked for us was to gather all the suggestions from this site and others, prioritize and make a plan for each day, ensuring that we stayed in one area of the city on each day. We never covered everything on our list but we enjoyed every minute. I agree Ellis Island is very impressive.

Enjoy your trip.

Here's my must do for Bermuda. Others can fill in the names for me. I'll go from memory here.

Take the water taxi to St Georges. Once you disembark, stop in at the corner store for snacks and drinks (if you need something) and start to walk up the hill past the ruins of the old church. The road closes in with stone walls. It's uphill. After about ten minutes, the road opens up. Keep going through the old barracks, until the end where the hill begins to slope down towards the ocean. Turn right, cut across the old golf course. In front of you, there will be a cove with a beach. Tobacco Bay. You can snorkel here, but I prefer to keep going to the right. Another few minutes of walking will reward you with a beautiful beach. The left side will be a fort (Fort St Catherine, I believe). Since the ships have stopped docking in St Georges, almost no one comes to this beach. Last time we were there, there were six people on the beach with us. I relaxed on the sand, swam, and snorkeled all day. It was almost surreal. It is very quiet up there now, with the golf course not operating, and the demolition of the old hotel (you can find the Discovery Channel show online about that).

I guess the secret's out. It's a good half hour walk each way, so be prepared. Your efforts will be rewarded! You can likely google maps the complete adventure.

unfinished-church-st.jpg

tobacco-bay-beach.jpg

--bermuda--saint-george--id%3D25160.jpg

Edited by jayoldschool

We were on the Summit in June 2012 and we loved having the 3 day transportation pass for use of the ferries and buses in Bermuda.

Also, in NYC my recommendations would be for Sarabeth's (several locations) and Alice's Tea Cup ( 2 locations). They are great for a quick breakfast or lunch and they are very New York. They have websites to get more info. I also vote for the Museum of Natural History!

Last time there we went to a Late Night with Jimmy Fallon taping. Free and what a hoot, but watch for the signup window, usually about 6 weeks out. Some line waiting is involved, but worth it! Now both the Tonight Show and Late Night will be taping at 30 Rock!

I lived in the theatre district for 6 years and I would definitely recommend the less touristy restaurants on 9th Avenue between in the 40s and 50s. Just walk around and see what you like - there is everything! My favorites are too many to list, but Brickyard Gastropub and Lime Jungle are among them.

For museums, hit up MoMA as it's in midtown and just a beautiful place. It's pricey though, at around $20 pp if I remember correctly. I love the MoMA store as well. Sometimes you can find really unique gifts at a reasonable price. The famous Chicken and Rice Halal Guys are just across 6th Ave. from the museum. You'll see the line backed up at all hours of the night. It's delicious!

Bryant park does outdoor movies starting in the spring. They're free and perfect for a picnic dinner. Get there very early to reserve lawn space.

Enjoy!

We went to NYC for a long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) and bought the NYC City Pass which gives access to 6 attractions for a reduced price. We bought them at Costco and saved a little more. We used it as the basis for planning our itinerary. We did the Circle Line Cruise, Empire State building (at night), Top of the Rock (daytime), Natural History Museum, and the Met. We never made it to the last of the museums (MOMA) but it was still worth every penny. We added a Broadway play, Times Square, Central Park, shopping, walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, 911 Memorial. It was whirlwind but doable and gave a good taste of the city and left a desire to return to see more.

We're heading out on the Summit for Bermuda at the end of June and hope to add a day on either side of the cruise to enjoy some more of what NYC has to offer.

Edited by familymum

• 3 months later...
We went to NYC for a long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) and bought the NYC City Pass which gives access to 6 attractions for a reduced price. We bought them at Costco and saved a little more. We used it as the basis for planning our itinerary. We did the Circle Line Cruise, Empire State building (at night), Top of the Rock (daytime), Natural History Museum, and the Met. We never made it to the last of the museums (MOMA) but it was still worth every penny. We added a Broadway play, Times Square, Central Park, shopping, walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, 911 Memorial. It was whirlwind but doable and gave a good taste of the city and left a desire to return to see more.

We're heading out on the Summit for Bermuda at the end of June and hope to add a day on either side of the cruise to enjoy some more of what NYC has to offer.

Can I get the NYC Pass in New York City? We are heading out in two days and this sounds pretty good.

Burt

Check out the Cloisters. It's a castle in NYC. You can get a pretty scenic view walking there from Times Square. Head up 7th into Central Park. Continue north through the park to 110th Street. Head west on 110th to Morningside Park. Take Morningside to 127th. Head east to St. Nick's. Head north for a bit and work your way to the east bank of the Hudson River. Head north until you reach the cloisters.

My NYC advice, is enjoy Times square, but wander off broadway tot he side streets for better value for money when dining.

I staty at the Renaissance in Times square as the location is so central to everything and can walk anywhere, and subways just below.

My favorite little restaurant is Trattoria Trecolore at 254 W 47th street. Nice italian food with modern twist. Go during theatre time and have the place almost to yourself, but avoid the hour before and after theatre timing for sure. They do take reservations.

http://www.trattoriatrecolori.com

Another favorite for a fine dining experience and a huge wine list is Aureole, A Charlie Palmer restaurant. It's diagonal from Bryant Park in bottom of BOA building, One Bryant Park 135 West 42nd St. My friend Sheri is a sommelier there, if you go tell her Curt sent you :-) But she doesn't work friday or saturdays most weekends trying to avoid the "bus and tunnel" crowd.

http://www.charliepalmer.com/aureole-new-york/

Both restaurants are right off Times Square.

Another great place is the rooftop bar and restaurant at the Yotel for sunset, watch the sun set over New Jersey. I think it's on 9th also very walkable ands not outrageously priced.

Hi All

Burt

Heard good things about "Accomplice New York".

I prefer city views from Rockafeller center and you avoid the long lines at the Empire State Building. It's also beautiful at night time...if weather permits.

Carolines Comedy Club is a lot of fun after an evening play.

I also agree...Mexicana Rosa is a great restaurant.

Chez Josephines has great pre Broadway show appetizers.

Coco Bay was great for us also. Just pre-register online and pay only upon arrival.

Can take a taxi, or cheap bus ride from Kings Wharf,with a little walk involved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Is it coco bay or coco reef? I can't find coco bay

Heard good things about "Accomplice New York".

I prefer city views from Rockafeller center and you avoid the long lines at the Empire State Building. It's also beautiful at night time...if weather permits.

Great suggestion, thank you. We were intending to skip the Empire State Building because it has become such a hassle. I was wondering where else we could find such a view.

Which reminds me, there was a bar in 1990 when I lasted visited called Top of the 6s, or something like that. I think it was looking down 6th avenue, but it was a great view. Does anyone know if it is still there or of any other quiet little place that has beautiful views?

Burt

Check out the Cloisters. It's a castle in NYC. You can get a pretty scenic view walking there from Times Square. Head up 7th into Central Park. Continue north through the park to 110th Street. Head west on 110th to Morningside Park. Take Morningside to 127th. Head east to St. Nick's. Head north for a bit and work your way to the east bank of the Hudson River. Head north until you reach the cloisters.

That is one LONG walk (around 9 miles one way) - the Cloisters is wonderful but if you have limited time the trek up there could take up a big chunk of time.

Great suggestion, thank you. We were intending to skip the Empire State Building because it has become such a hassle. I was wondering where else we could find such a view.

Which reminds me, there was a bar in 1990 when I lasted visited called Top of the 6s, or something like that. I think it was looking down 6th avenue, but it was a great view. Does anyone know if it is still there or of any other quiet little place that has beautiful views?

Burt

Tops of the sixes closed in the late 1990's.

Marriott Marquis has a revolving restaurant and lounge with views. We've have only been for drinks so can't say anything about the food

Edited by 20pluscruises

Tops of the sixes closed in the late 1990's.

Marriott Marquis has a revolving restaurant and lounge with views. We've have only been for drinks so can't say anything about the food

Thanks, I'm just looking for places to rest our feet, so this sounds great.

Burt

If you do go downtown to the World Trade Center, Century is a terrific discount store just opposite the WTC, on Cortlandt Street between Church and Broadway. You can enter on Church Street.

ENJOY

Is it coco bay or coco reef? I can't find coco bay

It's Coco Reef

http://www.cocoreefbermuda.com/

You can email them to make a reservation for the day pass. $59 per person for use of the resort for the day including lunch and a glass of wine (kids under 11 are free, lunch extra).

I live in the NY suburbs but grew up in the city and lived there in my 20's. Check out Columbus Avenue on the Upper West Side - from about 68th Street up to 80th or so. Lots of shops and restaurants and less crowded and touristy than midtown. While you're there check out Central Park. Go in on 72nd Street and pass through Strawberry Fields (Dedicated to John Lennon). At 72nd Street and Central Park West is the Dakota, the fabulous apartment building where Lennon lived and was murdered in front of. Also you must visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on the other side of the park)!