Shore excursion in Boston & Sydney???

Fran,

Looks like I found you over on this board. I haven't had a chance to think about shore excursions as of late. This past Monday I was in a very bad car accident. I got rear-ended so now I have insurance companies, back pain, and possibly lawyers to deal with. I'm also planning a February cruise for my mother and I. It will also be on the Triumph but sails out of Miami for the Caribbean.

I'm also interested to see what others have to say about Boston and/or Sydney shore excursions.

Lynelle

Boston's easy.

You like baseball? Do the Fenway Park tour

like history? Freedom Trail

like history with alot of fun? Duck Tour

like shopping? Downtown Crossing and/or Faneuil Hall.

like bus trips? Do Lexington/Concord, or Plymouth, or Salem

It all depends on what you like to do, tell us something about your likes and dislikes so we can help!

Nitemare's suggestions for Boston are great, and there are other great things to do such as museums, the public garden, the North End (Italian). Most of the best of Boston can and should be done on your own: why take a tour?

Thanks for the suggestions. Problem with doing on own is that ship is in Boston from 3PM to 10PM on a Sunday. That is kind of tough to try to see much, I think. Think we'll probably do Freedom Trail with guide thru the ship in that port.

Lynelle, Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you will be ok! What a pain the insurance and maybe the lawyer thing is, but if you get ok physically, the rest will get handled! When you decide to cruise for the first time, you really get into it. Two cruises this year. Way to go!!! I'm betting you'll love cruising!

Fran

Is it easy to book your own tours after you get off of the ship in Boston? At some ports I know that it is fairly simple to just get off and book a tour but I'm a little uneasy about trying that in Boston.

I would actually like to do the Fenway park tour. Nothing would tickle me more than to saunter into that ballpark wearing my NY Yankees hat and take a bunch of pictures. :p I don't know what the chances of doing this tour on a Sunday are though. I'll check Fenway's website. If that's not an option then a bus tour or Freedom trail will work.

Fran, Thanks for the concern. I'll be ok. I'm young and in pretty good shape. My body will bounce back quickly but my heart is another story. :( I love that car. I've actually changed my mind about that 2nd cruise I'm booking for my mother and I. Instead of the Triumph to the Western Caribbean, I'm going to book us on the Victory to the Eastern Caribbean. I'm military and have been able to get some good rates on a balcony. I think my mom will enjoy it. It's my treat.

Lynelle

The pier in Boston is in an industrial area, and there are no vendors there on a permanent basis. Maybe on days a ship comes in a trolley company or other tour company might have a desk -- maybe someone can answer that question here.

would actually like to do the Fenway park tour. Nothing would tickle me more than to saunter into that ballpark wearing my NY Yankees hat and take a bunch of pictures.
I took a friend from NYC there on the first Saturday AB (After Boone, 2003 ) for the tour. The tarp covering the premature World Series Logo was still on the field. He LOVED the tour, as any baseball fan would. I think the last tour is at 3PM (check Redsox.com to find out for sure) on days without home afternoon games, but they may do later ones nowadays. And there are definitely private, prearranged tours like from ships that can go when they normally don't schedule tours.

Try the website http://www.boston.com/ae/events/, which lists events around the city. You can check it as you get closer to sailing.

Boston is a great historical city. I like the trolley and harbor tour, but I don't know if it runs that late. There is the ghosts trolley tour http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/pr...oduct_ID=6&kc=y. There is also a tour of the harbor that runs until 6:00 http://www.bostontours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm/tid/1027 that is aboard a replica steamship.

Turns out the Fenway tour ends at 4 PM. The price for tour is $12 for adults. I sent an email to find out if indeed the tour will be running until 4 PM the day that I arrive. Hopefully I'll get a response. There is a Fenway tour that you can book with the cruise ship but it is $59. I think I'll save a few bucks and just figure out transportation on my own to Fenway.

Nitemare - When you took your friend to Fenway how long was the tour?

Lynelle

The Triumph was late to Boston when we went so it was basically a wasted afternoon. That being said we had signed up for the Kennedy and Adams President's Tour and had it not been abbreviated it would have been fascinating.. Not nearly enough time at Kennedy Museum but the Adams homeplace was very interesting.. IMHO well worth it and don't usually do ship tours.. due to pier location etc. a tour is the way to go.. that way if they are late you aren't stuck. So much closes early on Sunday

In Sydney you can go to Louisbourg but don't recommend going thru ship (Carnival) as you do NOT have enough time there.. arrange when you get there with locals on the pier so you will have at least 3 hours there.. I believe port call is at least 7 hours and you will have time.. Many go to Baddeck which is also lovely. Don't recommend Cabot Trail..if it's foggy you won't see much, it's impossible to see on a bus drive of 4 hours and they don't stop that often so you can't take advantage of scenic overlooks if it is sunny!

Thanks for the info. We are suppose to be in Sydney for 11 hours (7am to 6pm). We should have time for tour.

Lynelle, Glad to hear you are ok and sorry about your car. If either of my daughters were going on this cruise, they would do the baseball thing with you. They live in Tampa but are Cubby fans. One of them often goes to Arizona for a week during spring training. They just love football & baseball. not sure where they got that from, not me! LOL

Fran

If you do the Freedom trail it will take you past many of the areas previously mentioned like Fanueil Hall and the North End. The trail takes you past many historic places and fun areas in Boston. If you like to shop the stores will be open at Fanueil Hall. There are great coffee shops in the North End as well as fabulous pastries.

Lynelle: The tour is about an hour -- if there's no game you go on the field (BUT NOT ON THE GRASS!! DON'T EVEN TRY!!!! ;-0 ), into the dugouts, past the bullpens, against the Green Monster, then upstairs onto the Monster, through/past the luxury boxes, into the broadcast booths and into the Hall Of Fame rooms. I've done the tour 3 times in the past 10 years and it's always special, even though I'm a regular at the park.

Not nearly enough time at Kennedy Museum but the Adams homeplace was very interesting..
I wonder if I'll ever get to those places in my life. I guess we know alot about me! ;)

Can anyone out there give me an estimate on how much a cab might cost to get from the dock to Fenway? If it's too expensive, I may just have to go with the cruise ship tour. On a Sunday evening, I'm assuming cab will be likely method of transportation. Also, Caroline made a really good point about being late getting into Boston. If the ship is late and I booked the tour through the ship, my chances of doing the tour are a little better.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Lynelle

If you do the Freedom trail it will take you past many of the areas previously mentioned like Fanueil Hall and the North End. The trail takes you past many historic places and fun areas in Boston. If you like to shop the stores will be open at Fanueil Hall. There are great coffee shops in the North End as well as fabulous pastries.

We were told that most of the shops in Fanueil Hall close at 5 on Sunday?? which is when the Triumph is in port??/ Has that changed bec. if not, by the time you disembark and get into town (assuming on time) won't leave much time there..

I just returned from a cruise on the Enchantment which called at Boston, Bar Harbor, and Halifax. We did the Duck Tour in Boston, but because of the short time you have in port there, I would go with a ship's tour. I heard several different people on our cruise talking about the Fenway Park tour that they took. They loved it and raved about all that they were able to see (where the team eats, etc.) and how they were albe to go right out on the field. I myself, couldn't care less about baseball and would have found this tour boring, but if you think you might be interested in this, take the ship's tour if there is no Sunday home game that day. So many things will be closing by the time you get off the ship and get to where you are going that I would pick something that the cruise lines offers. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the great info. I usually do tours on my own but because of the crazy ship's time in Boston decided to do tour thru them. All info shows Triumph in Boston port from 3pm to 10pm but when I booked Freedom Trail tour it starts at 2:15pm and shows we will arrive at 2pm. That's a little better for self tours but still not great on a Sunday. Anyway thanks again for the info. Sure looking forward to this cruise! Fran

C Breeze,

We will be in Boston in Sept. and wondered where you got on the Duck Tour? Did they pick you up at the port or did you have to taxi somewhere to get on? Thanks.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

You must take a cab to the Duck Tour. There are two locations, and I believe the one at the Prudential Center is more convenient to other things in Boston, should you want to see something else after the tour. You can only book the tickets online five days or less in advance. I would try to reserve a time that is mid to late morning depending on when your ship docks. Typically, when the ship first docks, they let off all the people who have booked ship's tours for the first half an hour. Also the Duck Tour people suggest that you arrive there 30 minutes prior to your tour departure.

Have a great trip! The Duck Tour is a hoot! History with humor.

Archived