Can anyone share a list of services you have requested from a Butler?

petersonwith3

it's like our cleaning lady, I do not clean prior to her arrival, but many do...weird to me...

I don't clean, but I 'straighten'. First of all, I know where stuff belongs, and secondly, I want him/her concentrating on dirt, not clutter!! I can handle the clutter!

Our first Celebrity cruise was 9 years ago and we were in our first suite - a Sky Suite. Theo was our butler and he was fantastic. We didn't use him for much - breakfast in the morning, picking his brain about what to do on the island when our excursion was cancelled and the biggest - getting a tux for my DH who forgot his suit pants at home. Theo handled it. He was even a tad upset because he couldn't get a tux coat that was a perfect fit for DH even though the one he brought was only a smidge too big - nothing anyone would notice. Theo also would "save" some of the best snacks for us in the afternoon and leave them in the cabin if we weren't there. I think we ended up tipping him an extra $50 for the week.

Last year we were on the Millie in a RS and Richard was our butler. Again, we didn't ask too much of him. We had him replace the scotch in the cabin with something else and he was able to get us reservations in Qsine the last night of the cruise. The thing that stood out about Richard was that he noticed that I caught a cold and was coughing a lot. He asked if he could bring me a tea concoction that would work for my cough and help me get some sleep. He came back with a peppermint & chamomile tea with some honey - yep slept like a baby! Every night after that I would ask him to bring me a cup. Richard also knew that my mom and my son's were sharing the CC cabin adjoining ours, so every day at tea time he would ask my mother if she would like some tea also. He didn't have to do that, but he treated her as if she were part of our suite anyway. We didn't even see him on tip night. We didn't get to give him his tip (I think it was $100) until the next morning as he helped us down to the specialty restaurant (can't think of the name right now) to wait to debark.

Next year we'll be on the Summit in a CS. Can't wait to be spoiled again. Got to remember to get our morning breakfast on our balcony though. Last cruise was the first time we hadn't done that.

If you wish the butler will unpack for you.

He will have your shoes shined.

He will expedite your laundry.

He will book specialty restaurants. If you choose to dine in Blu he can make arrangements with the maître 'd.

If you wish additional towels, just ask.

If you want another type of pillow or an egg crate for your bed, just ask.

I misplaced a piece of jewelry and I knew it was my fault. The butler interceded with the Head of Housekeeping to protect the cabin steward. When I found the jewelry the butler handled all communications with the HOH. This also involved the ship's security and I was so grateful for his help.

Do let your butler know your preferences. He will ask. He will let you know when he has free time and will provide a phone number for you to call for service. It should be in your book on the desk but he will probably point it out.

He will make your cruise as wonderful as you imagine so enjoy every minute.

I've been thrilled with the butler service on Celebrity, but please please remember to tip him well before you leave. One of the nicest things one did was arrage for a cocktail party for 30 in my suite, he arranged every detail, and stayed during it to pour champagne. Seen so many people make request upon request on the butler and then just leave him high and dry when it comes to the final tip (no, the prepaid gratuity is not enough), so if you ask for top tier service, please be decent enough to tip the man accordingly

How much would you recommend tipping a butler for a 1 week cruise? Thanks!

I would say at a minimum $5/day above the prepaid gratuities, I usually give him $50 for a 7 night cruise, $100 for longer

Edited by johhnnyt

As were are from the UK where the tipping culture and currency is different, I always find it useful, when tipping, to base any extra on the basic gratuities. If you think, of these as the benchmark, just ask yourself "was the service I received worth double, three times as much, half as much again ...". We find that it helps to put everything into perspective.

This is a great list and of course perfectly acceptable for your travel and suite...however, I am shocked you have not been attacked without mercy on CC...anything people think is over and above gets flamed like crazy...good for you for knowing your travel needs...seems like people here feel some sort of guilt for the staff so insist on asking for nothing because of their own stuff...it's like our cleaning lady, I do not clean prior to her arrival, but many do...weird to me...

I too love this!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My butler got us reservations in specialty restaurants at times that we were told were sold out. He stored our luggage. He noticed that a wheel on my suitcase broken. He had it fixed. He helped me hang clothes. Anything that got wrinkled, he had pressed. The best part was that he seemed to know what we wanted before we asked. Cabin stewards can perform the same things if asked.

Hi there - I am going on the Summit next month with a group of 17 - we have the PH and a few royal suites and we are all new to Celebrity and having a butler. I have done the research here to see all the services provided. I have also seen where some have created a personalized list of services that are important to them, which they provide to the butler upon embarcation.

Does anyone here have an example of a list that you have used that I may be able to look at? I saw some postings about a list but they are very old now and the posters are no longer active.

Thanks so much - Tina

email: orders@bunzie.com

We were in a RS last year. We are a family of 5. 2 adults, 2 children and 1 baby. here is the list we provided the butler when we first met him. We gave him a copy of this list. In addition..and I know this is controversial on here....I tip the Butler upfront as I hand him the list. I have various reasons why I do this. I have done this 2x on previous cruises and it has worked out very well. I also tip in the MIDDLE of the cruise as well as the end if the Butler has done an outstanding job. (which they always do)

ROOM xxxx - LAST NAME

• Please remove the FOR PAY items from the refrigerator

• Swap out Champagne for a red wine

• We would like to have a Rollaway bed

• We would like a piece of wood for the sliding glass door in the parlor room. This is for extra safety for the kids.

• We would like 2 copies of the daily program at night.

• Can we have a highchair for the baby in the room?

• We need a lifejacket for the baby. She is about 25 Pounds.

• When Do not Disturb is on door, baby might be sleeping. Especially during the afternoon and after 7pm. please do not come in room.

• Please keep cartons of Whole Milk in Fridge.

• Instead of daily Canapies, we would like a cheese & cracker platter and Veggies Crudite’ (baby carrots, Hummus, cucumbers) – Vegetarian only.

• Fruit: Oranges, Bananas, Pears, Apples, Seedless Grapes

• If we are not around when you bring the tea cart, please wrap up and leave a few cookies on a plate, no nuts

This is a great list and of course perfectly acceptable for your travel and suite...however, I am shocked you have not been attacked without mercy on CC...anything people think is over and above gets flamed like crazy...good for you for knowing your travel needs...seems like people here feel some sort of guilt for the staff so insist on asking for nothing because of their own stuff...it's like our cleaning lady, I do not clean prior to her arrival, but many do...weird to me...

Maybe that's because there's nothing over and above on that list.

A pitcher of iced lemon water every late afternoon and evening.

An extra bucket of ice.

Extra hot coffee/espresso/cappucinos.

Fresh berries at breakfast and afternoon.

Handled sending laundry out and pressing dresses.

Talked with us everyday about the goings on around the ship.

Brought wine and champagne to the dining venue we would be at nightly.

Made dinner reservations.

A pitcher of iced lemon water every late afternoon and evening.

An extra bucket of ice.

Extra hot coffee/espresso/cappucinos.

Fresh berries at breakfast and afternoon.

Handled sending laundry out and pressing dresses.

Talked with us everyday about the goings on around the ship.

Brought wine and champagne to the dining venue we would be at nightly.

Made dinner reservations.

Thanks! Can you elaborate on the "brought wine to dining venue"??

As standard practice, if you have wine or champagne in your cabin, just simply let the butler know where you will dine that evening and it will be waiting for you chilled. I do believe there is a corkage charge if the wine was not provided by Celebrity, but if you are bringing their house champagne, there is no charge.

I love all these lists! We usually do a family trip once every couple of years and when we do, we like to go all out. This year, we actually have two cruises booked. An RS with the connecting concierge in march and the PH with the connecting sky suite in July (plus other family members in other staterooms) We have travelled with other cruise lines in suites, but these will be our first with celebrity. I am always interested in how other people use the services that are available. We are usually low maintenance but I do love having my cocktail parties! Our first suite with a butler (on princess) made us feel so comfortable and really did spoil us, without our asking. We relied on this the second time, thinking all butlers were the same, but were very disappointed. It wasn't his fault, we really didn't feel comfortable asking for anything extra since we didn't have to the first time. These lists and experiences that people share on these threads are important. I am glad to hear that cocktail parties seem to be a norm. We definitely tip extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='bonedoc7']I love all these lists! We usually do a family trip once every couple of years and when we do, we like to go all out. This year, we actually have two cruises booked. An RS with the connecting concierge in march and the PH with the connecting sky suite in July (plus other family members in other staterooms) We have travelled with other cruise lines in suites, but these will be our first with celebrity. I am always interested in how other people use the services that are available. We are usually low maintenance but I do love having my cocktail parties! Our first suite with a butler (on princess) made us feel so comfortable and really did spoil us, without our asking. We relied on this the second time, thinking all butlers were the same, but were very disappointed. It wasn't his fault, we really didn't feel comfortable asking for anything extra since we didn't have to the first time. These lists and experiences that people share on these threads are important. I am glad to hear that cocktail parties seem to be a norm. We definitely tip extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Thanks for saying exactly what you did. I agree and it is why I asked the question to begin with. It is wonderful to hear what other people asked for so as to formulate what resonates for you and your family. Enjoy your trip. Ours is on a month and we are so excited!

[quote name='petersonwith3']Thanks for saying exactly what you did. I agree and it is why I asked the question to begin with. It is wonderful to hear what other people asked for so as to formulate what resonates for you and your family. Enjoy your trip. Ours is on a month and we are so excited![/QUOTE]

I hosted a sail away party in my penthouse on the Reflection. Knowing it was a tight timeline, I sent myself by gifts by celebrity 5 bottles of sparkly and asked they be in cabin chilled on arrival. I boarded by noon, I then found the CC hostess and explained what I was trying to do, and they handled it. I had brought preprinted-addressed invitations for my guests, and the hostess insisted on having the porter deliver with his next set of rounds. After muster, back to cabin, butler and whoever else laid out 50 champagne glasses and all the bubbly, plus brought more.

Then 4 platters cheese and crackers, 4 small sandwich platters and 4 platters of sweets and cookies, all nicely displayed. Basically exactly the platters laid out on the buffet, but very nice!

All in all probably about 50-60 people came and enjoyed ourselves very much.

Concierge and a few of the officers came by to say hello thru the evening as well.

[quote name='cle-guy']I hosted a sail away party in my penthouse on the Reflection. Knowing it was a tight timeline, I sent myself by gifts by celebrity 5 bottles of sparkly and asked they be in cabin chilled on arrival. I boarded by noon, I then found the CC hostess and explained what I was trying to do, and they handled it. I had brought preprinted-addressed invitations for my guests, and the hostess insisted on having the porter deliver with his next set of rounds. After muster, back to cabin, butler and whoever else laid out 50 champagne glasses and all the bubbly, plus brought more.

Then 4 platters cheese and crackers, 4 small sandwich platters and 4 platters of sweets and cookies, all nicely displayed. Basically exactly the platters laid out on the buffet, but very nice!

All in all probably about 50-60 people came and enjoyed ourselves very much.

Concierge and a few of the officers came by to say hello thru the evening as well.[/QUOTE]

This is so great! I want to do a sail away as well! I will do exactly as you mention. I only have 17 people and I hope it is as successful as you mention.

I am [B]very[/B] impressed with the quality of responses on this thread.

It might be a long time (perhaps never :(;)) before I get a suite but I have some questions.
How do the steward and the butler work together ? Some of the tasks that have been mentioned,
I have asked the steward to perform. (Knowing that stewards work as a team, I will speak to my cabins head steward) .
Does having a butler mean that the steward has less responsibility's ?
I guess what I'm really asking is how are the tasks allocated between them. There seems to be an overlap.

[quote name='petersonwith3']This is so great! I want to do a sail away as well! I will do exactly as you mention. I only have 17 people and I hope it is as successful as you mention.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Oh how I would love to host a big cocktail party at our Alaskan sail away, unfortunately, my poor husband isn't as keen! When I was reading out some of the responses - he cringed saying it sounded like something I would do. I assured him I didn't have any invitations printed out. I do have our thank you notes printed so I can include gratuities throughout the cruise in an envelope instead palm of hand. For Alaska we are traveling with 12, and it will be nice to be have cocktails on the balcony. Maybe if I promise to keep it under 25!

[quote name='bonedoc7']Oh how I would love to host a big cocktail party at our Alaskan sail away, unfortunately, my poor husband isn't as keen! When I was reading out some of the responses - he cringed saying it sounded like something I would do. I assured him I didn't have any invitations printed out. I do have our thank you notes printed so I can include gratuities throughout the cruise in an envelope instead palm of hand. For Alaska we are traveling with 12, and it will be nice to be have cocktails on the balcony. Maybe if I promise to keep it under 25!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

That is adorable. I plan most things out of my husbands earshot then when he is on board and relaxed, I spring it on him...he is always a trooper!!

[quote name='richstowe']
How do the steward and the butler work together ? Some of the tasks that have been mentioned,
I have asked the steward to perform.....
I guess what I'm really asking is how are the tasks allocated between them. There seems to be an overlap.[/quote]

The way I've heard it best described is this: The steward's job is to take care of the cabin. The butler's job is to take care of YOU. If you require extra services related to cleaning of the cabin, or a light bulb is burned out, or something like that, ask the steward. If you need a garment pressed, a dinner reservation, or breakfast from room service, ask the butler.

Some things do seem to overlap. For instance, you want an extra ice bucket. I can see where that would be considered an enhancement of the cabin furnishings and you could ask the steward. Or you might think it's something for you personally to better enjoy your beverages so you ask the butler. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule about that, and probably either would accommodate you if asked. In cases like that, I'd probably ask whoever I saw first or whoever seemed less busy.

[quote name='waterbug123']The way I've heard it best described is this: The steward's job is to take care of the cabin. The butler's job is to take care of YOU. If you require extra services related to cleaning of the cabin, or a light bulb is burned out, or something like that, ask the steward. If you need a garment pressed, a dinner reservation, or breakfast from room service, ask the butler.

Some things do seem to overlap. For instance, you want an extra ice bucket. I can see where that would be considered an enhancement of the cabin furnishings and you could ask the steward. Or you might think it's something for you personally to better enjoy your beverages so you ask the butler. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule about that, and probably either would accommodate you if asked. In cases like that, I'd probably ask whoever I saw first or whoever seemed less busy.[/QUOTE]

Given my experience, these recommendations are spot on.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Hi,
I was wondering what a reasonable tip is for the Butler, we have had them on previous cruises and have tipped $100 for the week over the normal that is automatically applied to the cabin bill as he did do some extra things for us but we didn't receive any feedback from him and was wondering if this actually insulted him as from the time we gave the tip, day before disembarkation, through disembarkation day we didn't see him at all again.

Thanks,
Dave

Our first cruise with a butler, we tipped quite a bit (again, not having the benefit of CC, so we guessed) on top of the automatic gratuities, I believe we tipped him an extra $150-200 for the four of us for 7 nights. The second time where the butler did nothing for us, and was almost rude when we asked for some desserts to be delivered for the kids at around 9 pm, we tipped an extra $100 for the four of us for a week. Once again, we had no idea what everyone else did! This time, we are a little more informed. We always tip our servers in the MDR as well. This actually depends on who we are traveling with. Some of our family members disagree with any tipping, even the automatic ones, so we tend to make sure the servers are covered (they don't need to know who the tip is actually from, we usually just give one envelope per table).