What About The Ocean Princess?

gottagocit

• 4 months later...
We've been on Deck 8 without noise issues, however we were not below the buffet. We usually try to get the aft cabins on Deck 6 (6090 and 6093), but they usually sell pretty quickly.

Other than Deck 7 for a balcony stateroom, which other deck on the Ocean Princess would you choose for a quiet balcony location ?

Deck six has some quiet balcony areas. he back of the ship is over the dining room, so there is noise during meal times, mainly dinner. The cabins forward are over the show lounge, so noisy in the evening. To a large extent it will depend on your schedule. None of these cabins are noisy all the time.

Deck six has some quiet balcony areas. he back of the ship is over the dining room, so there is noise during meal times, mainly dinner. The cabins forward are over the show lounge, so noisy in the evening. To a large extent it will depend on your schedule. None of these cabins are noisy all the time.

Thanks for that information, looks like for our schedule, the cabins forward would be our best option since we are out late at night. Looks like the midship balconies on deck 6 might be another option since it is over the Future Sales area, example 6048 to 6058 ? Maybe more quiet than the aft or forward cabins? Will be booking a cruise for Dec 2015, researching what our options are.

The dining room is actually fairly quiet. The only time we've heard anything in 6090 or 6093 is during the parade of the baked Alaska - they crank up the music for that. It's one short period of time at the end of the cruise. I can handle that...

Other than Deck 7 for a balcony stateroom, which other deck on the Ocean Princess would you choose for a quiet balcony location ?

We love the Ocean and Pacific Princess. We have always had a cabin on deck 7 in the past but for our 51 day cruise on Ocean Princess this year, all the cabins on deck 7 were booked out. We therefore chose 6072 on deck 6 which is several cabins from the aft of the ship and really loved it. It was incredibly quiet as there is virtually no passing traffic but it's still quite close to the aft stairs/elevators.

We wouldn't hesitate to book this cabin again and much prefer the R class ships to the larger ones. On our 51 day cruise the crew were fabulous and seemed really happy - it was a wonderful cruise so I would definitely recommend Ocean Princess.

The only time we have had any noise issues on deck 7 was on our first ever cruise which was on Pacific Princess and we were 'upgraded' from a balcony on deck 6 to one on deck 7 with a connecting door :(. We could definitely hear the conversation of our neighbours. I would definitely avoid any cabin with a connecting door and also one near the laundry which is on deck 7.

I would definitely recommend a balcony towards the aft on either deck 6 or 7.

We love the Ocean and Pacific Princess. We have always had a cabin on deck 7 in the past but for our 51 day cruise on Ocean Princess this year, all the cabins on deck 7 were booked out. We therefore chose 6072 on deck 6 which is several cabins from the aft of the ship and really loved it. It was incredibly quiet as there is virtually no passing traffic but it's still quite close to the aft stairs/elevators.

We wouldn't hesitate to book this cabin again and much prefer the R class ships to the larger ones. On our 51 day cruise the crew were fabulous and seemed really happy - it was a wonderful cruise so I would definitely recommend Ocean Princess.

The only time we have had any noise issues on deck 7 was on our first ever cruise which was on Pacific Princess and we were 'upgraded' from a balcony on deck 6 to one on deck 7 with a connecting door :(. We could definitely hear the conversation of our neighbours. I would definitely avoid any cabin with a connecting door and also one near the laundry which is on deck 7.

I would definitely recommend a balcony towards the aft on either deck 6 or 7.

Thank you for that information. We were looking at deck 5 & saw that tan area which must be the galley ? Good to know that where your cabin 6072 was, is a great location.

I remember years ago cruise ships were in the 20,000 to 35,000 ton class & I always had a great time on those. Cruising on the Ocean Princess will be fine with us too :).

Thank you for that information. We were looking at deck 5 & saw that tan area which must be the galley ? Good to know that where your cabin 6072 was, is a great location.

We loved the OP as well. We participated in a Chef's Table on the OP. During our galley tour it was interesting to know that the tan area on deck 5 is not the galley as the galley for the MDR is on deck 4! If you go in the area on deck 5 you will discover a stairway for downward traffic and an escalator for upward traffic. They don't want the wait-staff carrying trays of food up stairs. Also in that area is the liquor locker. It is a locked cage to which very few have access.

Cabins on deck 6 over the Club Bar can be quiet as well. The only caveat is the closer to the deck 5 outside promenade access doors you get, the more likely you'll hear those doors slam when it's windy. We were in 6057 and could hear them now and then. It wasn't so much of a bother though, as we booked the same cabin in 2016.

Motion-wise we felt that location was excellent as pitching seemed very minimal there.

We loved the OP as well. We participated in a Chef's Table on the OP. During our galley tour it was interesting to know that the tan area on deck 5 is not the galley as the galley for the MDR is on deck 4! If you go in the area on deck 5 you will discover a stairway for downward traffic and an escalator for upward traffic. They don't want the wait-staff carrying trays of food up stairs. Also in that area is the liquor locker. It is a locked cage to which very few have access.

Cabins on deck 6 over the Club Bar can be quiet as well. The only caveat is the closer to the deck 5 outside promenade access doors you get, the more likely you'll hear those doors slam when it's windy. We were in 6057 and could hear them now and then. It wasn't so much of a bother though, as we booked the same cabin in 2016.

Motion-wise we felt that location was excellent as pitching seemed very minimal there.

Thanks for explaining that area that I thought was the galley, very interesting. The middle to aft section of deck 6 for a balcony cabin would be ok then. With all the positive comments, sounds like we will have an excellent time.

• 2 months later...

We're considering a cruise on the Ocean Princess and looking at cabins on Deck 4 (Ocean View). For the sailing we're interested in, there is good availability in the block of cabins in the range 4012 thru 4027 (i.e., on both sides of the ship).

The deck plan indicates that the Medical Center is in this area we'd prefer to not be really close to that-- at least not near the entrance to the Medical Center. Does anyone know where that entrance is? The deck plan shows the Medical Center as a rectangular area in light blue, with a small rectangle (in white) carved out of the Medical Center-- this is across from 4031/4033. Is that the entrance? Or is it somewhere else along the blue rectangle?

Apart from the Medical Center issue, does anyone have any experience in having stayed in any cabins in this area? Any suggestions as to specific areas to prefer or avoid? Thanks.

Assuming she's identical to the Pacific (and she should be), the entrance to the Medical Centre is opposite cabin 4026.

Also, be warned that some of the cabins in the range you cite are ones that have connecting doors between them. Aside from the possible noise issues, this also means your cabin would have an armchair instead of a sofa. The cabins that adjoin are 4008/10, 4012/14, 4016/18 on the port side and starboard-side cabins 4009/11, 4015/17, and 4019/21.

I was in 4002, by the way, and loved that location. Except that it was right where all the tugs showed up, but if you don't mind the odd early am noise/spotlights when docking, I highly recommend these more forward OC category cabins.

I believe the Medical center is opposite 4031. I have never seen a huge amount of traffic to or from it

Assuming she's identical to the Pacific (and she should be), the entrance to the Medical Centre is opposite cabin 4026.

Also, be warned that some of the cabins in the range you cite are ones that have connecting doors between them. Aside from the possible noise issues, this also means your cabin would have an armchair instead of a sofa. The cabins that adjoin are 4008/10, 4012/14, 4016/18 on the port side and starboard-side cabins 4009/11, 4015/17, and 4019/21.

I was in 4002, by the way, and loved that location. Except that it was right where all the tugs showed up, but if you don't mind the odd early am noise/spotlights when docking, I highly recommend these more forward OC category cabins.

Thanks for the replies. If we do want to avoid the entry area to the medical center, perhaps we'll just avoid both possibilities.

Interesting about the connecting cabins. I don't see any indication of that in the online deck plan. Do you know if there are any connecting cabins further aft, in the OB category (4032 to 4055)? Is there a resource online for finding this info?

I'm pretty sure I'm right re the entrance being across from 4026 -- if you look at the deck plan, there's a "phantom" inside cabin across from 4031 (it might be an office or maybe an entertainer's cabin, anyway, it's clearly not part of the Med Ctr.).

Unfortunately, the Princess deck plans on their website don't show connecting cabins (I think the published ones in brochures and the yearly Cruise Atlas do, but that's no help if you don't have one at hand!). I have made a note of them for my personal info, but I found the information originally by looking at deck plans on another website. CC may block this website name ("Cruisedeckplans dot com") but you can do a google search for "Ocean Princess deck plans" and just click on any result that isn't Princess's website.

And, no, there are no connecting cabins further aft. Just those ones I mentioned. By the way, 4051/53/55 are near the entrance to the back offices behind the Purser's desk, so you may get a little noise/extra foot traffic there.

Edited by rdsqrl

I'm pretty sure I'm right re the entrance being across from 4026 -- if you look at the deck plan, there's a "phantom" inside cabin across from 4031 (it might be an office or maybe an entertainer's cabin, anyway, it's clearly not part of the Med Ctr.).

Unfortunately, the Princess deck plans on their website don't show connecting cabins (I think the published ones in brochures and the yearly Cruise Atlas do, but that's no help if you don't have one at hand!). I have made a note of them for my personal info, but I found the information originally by looking at deck plans on another website. CC may block this website name ("Cruisedeckplans dot com") but you can do a google search for "Ocean Princess deck plans" and just click on any result that isn't Princess's website.

And, no, there are no connecting cabins further aft. Just those ones I mentioned. By the way, 4051/53/55 are near the entrance to the back offices behind the Purser's desk, so you may get a little noise/extra foot traffic there.

Thanks for the reference to the non-Princess web site for viewing deck plans-- looks like a useful resource. On the plans posted there, I clearly can see the notations for the connecting rooms.

Rdsqrl is correct in her assumption about the OP. Entrance to the Medical Center is on the port side which are the even numbered cabins. Don't ask how we know.

Read today the she is officially listed for sale, and is available anytime after early March.

That's troublesome to me. We have her booked for a July 4 cruise, which is almost totally sold out. :(

edit: Where did you read the information about the sale. I'd like to see it, too.

Edited by MGnut

Read today the she is officially listed for sale, and is available anytime after early March.

That's troublesome to me. We have her booked for a July 4 cruise, which is almost totally sold out. :(

edit: Where did you read the information about the sale. I'd like to see it, too.

I think many of us had heard these rumors for several years, and all of them have eventually been shot down. However, this one is different:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnivals-donald-downplays-industry-supply-says-measured-growth-is-good.html

The pertinent quote from the article:

Donald confirmed plans to sell the smaller Princess vessel, Ocean Princess. The 688-berth ship, built in 1999 as R Four, has been on the market.

Sad news for me, as I love the "little girls"... :(

I think many of us had heard these rumors for several years, and all of them have eventually been shot down. However, this one is different:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnivals-donald-downplays-industry-supply-says-measured-growth-is-good.html

The pertinent quote from the article:

Sad news for me, as I love the "little girls"... :(

Thanks for the link. I, too, like the Tahitian/Ocean (never been on the Pacific).

Thanks for the link. I, too, like the Tahitian/Ocean (never been on the Pacific).

You're very welcome. We've been on all 3 of the Princess R ships - Pacific, Ocean and Royal (the second one). Our favorite ship was the original Royal Princess built in 1984. We try very hard to avoid the newer, larger ships. I have no desire to try the newest Royal Princess.

By the way, I actually owned a 57 MGA for a while. It was a project car which I didn't have the time to work on. I sold it eventually to someone with the time to do it justice.

By the way, I actually owned a 57 MGA for a while. It was a project car which I didn't have the time to work on. I sold it eventually to someone with the time to do it justice.

I also have a 57 MGA, bought in 1975. Drove it until about 2002. Now doing body repair prior to re-painting. Hope to finish it by spring. Also, have a '79 MGB that I use as a second car and for club trips. The '54 MGTF is in my signature pic.

Edited by MGnut