Spa Teeth Whitening?

txladyjan

I wouldn't do it. It's a medical procedure. I wouldn't trust anyone that works in the spa to perform a medical procedure on me. I would want a medical professional (i.e., dentist) to perform it.

Also, some people say it causes your teeth to be sensitive for a while. Would you really want that on a cruise?

....what my dentist told me.

he also cruises so we discuss our latest trips every time I go in.

He said that the week before my last visit, he had one of his regular patients come in after getting her teeth whitened on a cruise.

He never really mentioned if her teeth were whitened or not. He just rambled on about how blistered her lips were from the procedure !

They are trying to make prodedures like this illegal in the UK as there are so many problems that happen when non professionals try to do tthese procedures.

Only by an authentic Dentist please.

Off Topic.. but how's your weather holding up? My son is living in King's Lynn and the weather has been rough - quite the storm surge a month oro so ago.

My friend did it on a ship a couple of years ago, and it was a disaster. She had several crowns in the front and they did not whiten like the other teeth, she looked terrible and ship spa wouldn't do a thing, she had asked for money back.

My friend did it on a ship a couple of years ago, and it was a disaster. She had several crowns in the front and they did not whiten like the other teeth, she looked terrible and ship spa wouldn't do a thing, she had asked for money back.

This is a good point. Even the Crest White Strips say on the box that they don't work on crowns. I'm going to have an old filling replaced and my dentist told me to whiten my teeth first and then he will match the filling.

Crowns will NOT whiten...if you want them whiter, you have to replace them.

Crest whitestrips work GREAT on natural teeth. Do NOT let anyone but your dentist do a tooth whitening procedure on you. Either buy the over the counter stuff, or go to your dentist!

Tooth whitening can cause EXTREME sensitivity...you don't want to deal with that on vacation!!!!

Off Topic.. but how's your weather holding up? My son is living in King's Lynn and the weather has been rough - quite the storm surge a month oro so ago.

I live in the NE of England and we have got off quite lightly compared with the SW where the flooding has been unbelievable, never stopped raining since Christmas in some parts then the storms last night with 100mph winds just made it worse.

but worry not our Prime Minister has told us he will fix everything for everyone.... yipee!!!

Crowns will NOT whiten...if you want them whiter, you have to replace them.

Crest whitestrips work GREAT on natural teeth. Do NOT let anyone but your dentist do a tooth whitening procedure on you. Either buy the over the counter stuff, or go to your dentist!

Tooth whitening can cause EXTREME sensitivity...you don't want to deal with that on vacation!!!!

Those "zingers" are very uncomfortable. Even using the bleach trays from the dentist causes zingers.

I am a recently retired dentist ( also a cruiser) and am amazed at what they charge for the "whitening procedures" on the cruise that do not work! I charged about the same fee but you received custom mouth trays and whitening( bleaching gel) that worked. There are always promises on the ship that it whitens teeth and crowns, etc.---- not true! Bleaching gel is a carbimide peroxide gel that oxidizes stains in natural teeth. For it to work it must be on the teeth for a period of time, held in place by a custom tray so the gel does not wash out and dilute. Some stains and discolored teeth take a number of "bleachings" to whiten the teeth. I always had the patient leave the tray in about an hour. Overnight bleaching not needed and gets diluted by your saliva. Crowns, veneers, composite fillings (tooth colored)....all will not bleach. These materials are porcelain/glass-like and cannot be penetrated by any bleach/peroxide to do any whitening. That is why when you whiten your natural teeth, the crowns/veneers will not change color, so they look different once the natural teeth are lighter in shade. Some teeth have extrinsic stain (on the outside) of the tooth....think tobacco stain. This can be removed by certain toothpastes and make the teeth look whiter just by removing the stain coating the front of the teeth. So much for my lecture---just do not waste your money!!

I am a recently retired dentist ( also a cruiser) and am amazed at what they charge for the "whitening procedures" on the cruise that do not work! I charged about the same fee but you received custom mouth trays and whitening( bleaching gel) that worked. There are always promises on the ship that it whitens teeth and crowns, etc.---- not true! Bleaching gel is a carbimide peroxide gel that oxidizes stains in natural teeth. For it to work it must be on the teeth for a period of time, held in place by a custom tray so the gel does not wash out and dilute. Some stains and discolored teeth take a number of "bleachings" to whiten the teeth. I always had the patient leave the tray in about an hour. Overnight bleaching not needed and gets diluted by your saliva. Crowns, veneers, composite fillings (tooth colored)....all will not bleach. These materials are porcelain/glass-like and cannot be penetrated by any bleach/peroxide to do any whitening. That is why when you whiten your natural teeth, the crowns/veneers will not change color, so they look different once the natural teeth are lighter in shade. Some teeth have extrinsic stain (on the outside) of the tooth....think tobacco stain. This can be removed by certain toothpastes and make the teeth look whiter just by removing the stain coating the front of the teeth. So much for my lecture---just do not waste your money!!

Totally agree...so as a second opinion....enjoy your vacation and don't bleach while on a cruise ship...very simple....

David:D

I had this done once. No bad side effects, but really not worth the money, I've had as good results just using the Crest Whitestrips. I'd never do it again.

Remembering that a fool and his money are soon parted, I was the fool that had it done on my first cruise. There were no effects, either good or bad. My teeth didn't appear any whiter, so I was just left with a considerably lighter wallet, and wasted an hour I could have been having fun elsewhere.

I never would have anything done on a cruise that could be considered a medical procedure. On a recent cruise, my wife was told she should purchase some sort of shoe insert at some high cost, but I told her no, and instead she went to a podiatrist and he took better care of her.

I get my teeth whitening done at my dentist which is the best way. However, my husband got this done on our last cruise. He waited until the last day because they ran a special. I didn't think it would do anything but I was wrong. I could see a huge improvement with his teeth color. I think it just depends on the teeth coloring and expectations but it did work for him.