Bathing Suits and Rash Guard Shirts

ducklite

In my past cruises and vacations I have only brought along one bathing suit, as most of my activities didn't include swimming and I am not one to lounge by the pool.

Most of our shore excursions involve swimming, and I expect I will be in the pool/ocean either on/from the ship or at the hotel daily. I'm beginning to think that my typical daytime attire will probably consist of a bathing suit with shorts and a rash guard shirt or jacket over it.

I had planned on taking two bathing suits--a bikini and a tankini, plus a rash guard 3/4 sleeve jacket and a rash guard short sleeve shirt. I'm now wondering if that will be enough, or if I should buy another bikini or even a one piece? How many and what style do you typically bring? Would there be a reason to choose a one piece over a two piece?

I have tech fabric running shirts that I think would work well as a rash guard shirt. They don't have UV protection, but between being covered in sun block and fabric, I think I'll be OK. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has tried this, keeping in mind that I am very fair and burn easily.

Also, other than the obvious of applying sun block regularly, how do you keep the backs of your legs from burning when you are snorkeling?

I live in Florida and run year round, so I do have a bit of a base, but I am not expecting that to keep me from burning in the much stronger Polynesian sun if I'm not careful.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I would still recommend UV protected rash guards. There is a hole in the ozone layer that effects that area so the burns get bad. Being east Indian I am naturally protected but the only time I have had burns and really bad ones at that have been in FP.

We usually take two bathing suits and 2 uv protected shirts each. Many people take three and I might this time in September as we will be in the water a great deal.

Dont forget your reef shoes as well.

Ducklite, I am also taking my dive skin, which if you don't dive, is a Lycra neck-to-ankle rash guard, kind of like a catsuit. I lived in the Caribbean for three years and my friends and I snorkeled all the time for hours on end in these without a worry about sunburn. They are not that expensive and I would highly recommend bringing one.

Be careful in that sun! I wish I would have been more sensible at a younger age, knowing that skin cancer runs in my family.

I usually bring UV blocking rash guards and three pairs of trunks to switch out since we have so many water activities planned.

We also picked up a 3mm neoprene top for DW to use when snorkeling since it will be able to pull triple duty. It blocks the sun on her shoulder's since she is fair skinned, keeps her warm since she gets cold easily, and helps her float a bit more effortlessly when snorkeling. You can pick up a decent one for around $40-$50 from a dive shop.

One on the rack and one on the back should be plenty. Weather is hot and things dry quickly! One thing to consider; I did have a "nice" sundress style cover up too. I just felt more comfortable; even in those very casual environments having a little something to throw over my suit for heading to the buffet. Also, by lunchtime, my surf shirt was pretty wet, so having a dry "cover up" was nice. I have a quick dry one from Athleta that I love; it;s called "wickit" and you can see it on their site; they have it this season again. But any little cheap sundress will also do the job- even if it doesn't dry as quickly. Another item I like for my active excursions (we are often mountain biking, then swimming, or snorkeling, then hiking) is a pair of quick dry shorts or skort. Lands End has a nice selection of these. This way I'm not doing the sports in my bathing suit bottom, but rather have a little more coverage for the out of the water active part. So here is my list:

2 bathing suits (I often take bikinis so I can wear them easily under these other pieces)

1-2 surf shirts

1 wickit cover up

1 sundress style cover up

1 quick dry swim skirt/short (I can always throw one of my tee shirts on with this for none water days too)

Many days; this is my only "day wear" and so I don't pack shorts and a tee for those active beach days at all. I just wear the sun dress cover up out on deck without the bathing suit later in the day before we dress for dinner. Then I toss on an Athleta or Tommy Bahama dress and nice sandals for the evening after showering. I like keeping it simple and casual!:D

As you run I am pretty sure the underarmour compression leggings have a UV factor effect, you could consider these

I wear running shorts. If it's too cold for those, I'm inside on the treadmill. I don't even own a long sleeved tech shirt, I wear short sleeves and gloves. :)

Check out the swim capris at Coolibar. http://www.coolibar.com/thumbnail/Women/Swimwear/Shorts-Tights-Skirts/pc/2240/c/2186/2211.uts

I ordered a pair for our upcoming trip and really like the looks of them.

Thanks, but so not to my taste at all. Skirted/skirted stuff I can't stand, and the capris look more like what I would wear to yoga class. I'd be more inclined to wear a pair of longer tech type fabric shorts over my bikini bottom.

Hey Family, I have that WickIt coverup too and love it as well. Matter-of-fact, I pack mostly items from Athleta for that trip. We are very active and are in the water all of the time and the quick dry clothing is perfect.

To answer the OP, I love my swimming one-piece bathing suit for water activities. We snorkel a lot (and will now be diving) and lived in our suits with long sleeve UV protection rash guards. We brought this along - http://www.rmsunscreen.com/32OunceQuartSPF50.aspx as well as a refillable tube to carry with us during the day. The pump made application so easy. Never had the back of our legs burn. That lotion is excellent.

I am past bikini days but love tankini's - however, for active water days I really prefer a real swimming type suit. It fits better under the rash guard and I never worried about exposing body parts when skin diving.

So, two suits - maybe three with the one piece - 2 rash guards, Wickit cover up and a couple pair of "Dipper" shorts or similar from Athleta. Like FamilygoBoston, I add a simple evening sundress for dinner or the like.

Yes, don't forget water shoes of some sort.

Liz

Water shoes are definitely on the list.

As of right now, my packing list is something like this (keeping in mind three days pre and two days post in LA)

Three bathing suits

One cover up TBD

Two reef shirts, one S/S and one L/S

Three pair shorts (two tech and the other my trusty LL Bean cargos)

Three casual tops

Two sets yoga clothes (capris, tanks, sports bras)

Two sets cardio/training clothes (running shorts, tech tanks, sports bras, socks, sneakers)

Vow renewal dress. (Haven't purchased yet, leaning towards a Lilly Pulitzer eyelet that should pack really well)

One linen pants/top set

One casual dinner dress

One black skirt

One black pants

Two or three tops that match the skirt/pants

Underwear, something to sleep in, accessories (belts, scarves, jewelry, etc)

Two pair "fuzzy" socks (airplane and sleeping)

Two pair of flat sandals

I need jeans in LA, and am thinking that I might just mail them and the sweater I'll need to myself at the hotel I am going to when I get back to LA before I leave LA. (Hope that makes sense)

I will wear yoga pants and the sneakers on the plane. I'll also wear a very lightweight sweater of some sort in the plane, and one of the casual tops. I'll also bring a Pashmina on the plane to use as a coverlet while I sleep as well as to have in the evenings on the ship. (Even in warm weather if it's rainy I can catch a chill.)

For excursions I just packed my towel, lotion, flipflops and other small misc. stuff in my Under Armour Sackpack - or other variety but their size is just right. I wore the reef shoes since the grip was better for the tenders. You will also carry the snorkel bag which is why I liked the Sackpack on my back.

Liz

I brought a rash guard and never wore it. Only wore one swimsuit, though I brought several. I think one piece is much more practical if you are climbing in and out of boats. A two piece for me would be sunbathing only. If I was going somewhere wet or snorkeling, I wore my water shoes, which were Like these: https://m.teva.co.uk/womens-churn-evo-lightweight-water-shoes/1000220,default,pd.html.

Feet were never hot and at no time did I need a jacket over a swimsuit. None of us got sunburned snorkeling. Just apply plenty of sunscreen frequently, and don't stay out too long.

Edited by 6rugrats

For those of you who did and didn't burn, are you fair skinned? Prone to burning or the type that can bake for hours just getting browner and browner?

I am East Indian so I get brown and browner usually but I burned in Tahiti.

For those of you who did and didn't burn, are you fair skinned? Prone to burning or the type that can bake for hours just getting browner and browner?

I am quite fair, as you can see from my review photos:eek: because of this, I wear the rash guard, SPF 40-50 and reapply frequently, especially when in the water. I also have a UV hat I wear and often seek out the shade when I'm not in the water. I'm just too bothered by the hot sun, even when I have myself slathered in sun lotion!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I am a dermatologist so REALLY know sun protection!

This is my favorite "rash guard" because the fabric is very thin, it zips up the front, has long sleeves and protects the neck:

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/women/sun-clothing/swim-shirts.html

Unfortunately Lands End no longer carries a similar shirt.

For hats, I recommend either the CRUISER hat or the ADVENTURE hat from Sunday Afternoons. They can be thrown in the wash when dirty. I carried both on our Feb trip and lent one to an unprepared member of our private-trip group, for which he was very grateful!

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/women/sun-hats/wide-brim-hats.html

For foot protection, these Tilos Neoprene Fin socks protect feet from blisters caused by fins, and are substantial enough to walk on sand. The price is fantastic! I recommended them to our Feb tour group, and all said they were very glad they bought them.

http://www.amazon.com/Tilos-Neoprene-Fin-Socks-MD/dp/B002OWQI3A

/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394227175&sr=8-1&keywords=tilos+neoprene+fin+socks

Sunscreen: This is a much more complicated topic than you'd expect, because you need to know UV absorption spectra of chemical ingredients.

Bottom line:

1.Think ZINC. Zinc oxide blocks then entire UV spectra (UVA and UVB) and

causes no skin irritation because it's an inert mineral. I prefer zinc sunscreens for faces since they don't sting if they get in the eyes. If you snorkel, you will rub your face. Read the labels and get a zinc product.

2. For the body, I like sprays because people miss areas with lotions. Neutrogena and Aveeno have a patent on the only stable UVA blocker. It's called Parsol 1789. Other brands have chemicals that rapidly break down and have to be reapplied more frequently than most people do. Also avoid the chemical oxybenzone because it is reef toxic and has hormonal effects, especially in small children. I like Neutrogena Wet Skin Spray for Polynesia because of its surfactant that lets it penetrate wet skin.

3. There is no such thing as a waterproof sunscreen! Thank goodness the FDA finally mandated new labeling. There are now only two water ratings: water resistant (40 min) and very water resistant (80 minutes).

so...Zinc for the face, Neutrogena/Aveeno spray for the body, and reapply often!

Going back for the 4th time in four years next January....but on a different boat (shhhh)

Edited by Jetpuffed