What is so great about the Piano Bar?

tanus

I have cruised several times and have never been to the piano bar. I see on the boards that it gets mentioned alot and that it is great.

Is it just a sing a long with the piano player? I don't have a clue. Please enlighten me so I can join in on my next cruise because it sounds like fun.

DH and I stopped by on the first night of our Triumph cruise. We saw people having a great time and decided what the heck. We ended up going every night. The same people seemed to be there around the same time each night so we got to know several couples. Wednesday night was our 20th anniversary and Russell (the Piano Man) gave DH the microphone and he sang a song to me. I cried and so did the lady next to me. The lady said "honey, I don't know you but that was the sweetest thing I have ever seen"! Give it try.

I don't think we ever bothered when we cruised on the Pride, but we did go on the Breeze, last April, and Ron Pass was the piano player. He had gotten such RAVE reviews on here, and also in member reviews. We did not care for him at ALL. We stayed for a half hour, and left. Never to return again....

Like others have said, some people love it, and some don't. Can't hurt to check it out.

The smoke comment confuses me:confused::confused::confused: There is no smoking allowed in the Piano Bar, so I am not sure why it would get "smokier" as the night went on.

The smoke comment confuses me:confused::confused::confused: There is no smoking allowed in the Piano Bar, so I am not sure why it would get "smokier" as the night went on.

Has that always been the case? I may be wrong, but seem to remember walking by the piano bar on one of our previous cruises and we both commented on how stale it smelled…like an old ashtray.

Maybe they changed that at some point since then? If so, that gives me more incentive to try and make it this July.

We love going to Howl at the Moon here in San Antonio. I think the piano bar would have the same feel.

I have cruised several times and have never been to the piano bar. I see on the boards that it gets mentioned alot and that it is great.

Is it just a sing a long with the piano player? I don't have a clue. Please enlighten me so I can join in on my next cruise because it sounds like fun.

As long as the player is good, he can take a room and make it spin.

When they are bad, the room is empty.

Unfortunately, it's been a long time since we have had a good one.

Has that always been the case? I may be wrong, but seem to remember walking by the piano bar on one of our previous cruises and we both commented on how stale it smelled…like an old ashtray.

Maybe they changed that at some point since then? If so, that gives me more incentive to try and make it this July.

We love going to Howl at the Moon here in San Antonio. I think the piano bar would have the same feel.

They are now smoke free, so now the complainers complain about kids in there. You can never win.

They are now smoke free, so now the complainers complain about kids in there. You can never win.

The complainers will always have something to complain about. That is what they do. They have to earn their paycheck somehow.

:D

Much like how a great DJ can make a nighclub fun by knowing the audience, the same is true for the piano bar. I've been in duds - and been in great ones. So much of the fun also comes from the audience. And it can be somewhat cult-like where you will find the same folks coming night after night - even sitting in the same seats. On the Breeze, we had a great time with the "regulars" - everyone ended up getting a special name. Lots of fun - but not for everybody.

There is singing along if folks know the songs, some don't and it's no big deal. Mostly it's just a fun place to hang out for drinks and good times.

A lot of it depends on how good the piano player is. If the player is fun and keeps everyone involved and singing along then it will be a fun bar. If the player is bad, the whole thing will fall apart. I've seen both, thankfully more of the former (Brad, Milby) than the latter (Bob).

For me,,, it's hit or miss.

Some can play a mean piano, but can't sing.

Some can't play a lick, but sing very well.

Some can do both, but can't interact with the audiance.

Find one that can do all three???? You've got a rockin good time all night long.

We always intend to go, but it is always so packed you can barely get in the door. It also usually smells pretty smokey at off hours, so I am sure the smoke is thick when it is full.

How long go have you cruise. Piano bas are non smoking for the past year. Love going to them now. It just a great place to have fun

To find out how much fun a piano bar can be, YouTube John Valby. He is by far the best piano bar player ever.

Edited by YubaSutter

Totally agree that it depends on the musician. We have spent many hrs on some cruises and about 1/2 hr on others. Doesn't take long to realize if they are good or bad.

Also tell by how full they are. Have been to ones where the piano player and barmaid outnumbered the guests.

To each their own...however, I find the piano bar okay...almost boring. It seems like, in my personal experience, where the older crowd goes to hang out and sing old show tunes lol. I've been to three different piano bars, 3 different entertainers and didn't particularly care for any of them.

At first I was super excited for the "Name that tune" contest. Sadly, nothing was current. So unless I was over 50, or studied musicals, I wasn't going to get any of them with the exception of Over the Rainbow lol.

I think it's all subjective just like any other venue is. Some people love the karaoke. Some love the classical music in the Atrium. Give me a good live band or an awesome DJ and I'm happy.

I've heard people really loving the experiences at the piano bar. In my case, it just wasn't so and I love music. I was disappointed.

I hope your experience is better.

Edited by Almost Packed