Ashes on Ash Wednesday on Brilliance of seas march 1-6, 2014

tcieyes

Although I am thrilled to be cruising, I just realized , unless I read the Calender wrong, that I will be on Brilliance of Seas March 5, 2014, which is Ash Wednesday, that is what I get for getting excited about a sale before looking at the calendar. Is there any chance there will be a service where I can get ashes on a Wednesday Sea day,.... Uh Oh!

:eek:

RCCL (as well as other cruise lines) have moved away from any sort of religious service. Actually, one of the best we attended was led by one of the staff. It didn't matter. It gave us an opportunity to interact with other Christians.

My sense is that the cruise lines have become hyper sensitive to being criticized for catering to one religion and not all. This is somewhat strange if you look at some of the groups that have regular get togethers on just about every cruiise.

My suggestion is to take a Bible along and read John 1 on Ash Wednesday. God will certainly understand that the outward symbol of ashes is less important than the sincerity of your heart!

...God will certainly understand that the outward symbol of ashes is less important than the sincerity of your heart!

Yes, but my understanding is that this is significant to Catholics.

OP, I highly doubt you will get any onboard. Can you bring your own? I am not Catholic (as you can probably tell) so I don't know.

My suggestion is to go and tLk to your parish priest. He might be able to put a small amount in a container that you could use. And also if in a port that day look for a Mass. We attended a Mass in St Thomas or maybe it was St Martin but anyhow it was such a blessing to attend while we were on vacation.

Happy cruising!

Although I am thrilled to be cruising, I just realized , unless I read the Calender wrong, that I will be on Brilliance of Seas March 5, 2014, which is Ash Wednesday, that is what I get for getting excited about a sale before looking at the calendar. Is there any chance there will be a service where I can get ashes on a Wednesday Sea day,.... Uh Oh!

:eek:

I don't think so! What's worse is that you'll be on a cruise on a day of fasting and abstinence. :( remember that Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation. I know you'll miss having the sign and symbol of beginning Lent, but it will be okay. One of my first cruises (20 years ago) was over Easter. We had a priest on board who actually did the Triduum services every night, including veneration on Good Friday. Easter was in the main theater. It was beautiful to see so many people take time during their cruise to worship together. But sailing on Good Friday was definitely a good way to test our commitment to sacrificing!!

I don't think so! What's worse is that you'll be on a cruise on a day of fasting and abstinence. :( remember that Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation. I know you'll miss having the sign and symbol of beginning Lent, but it will be okay. One of my first cruises (20 years ago) was over Easter. We had a priest on board who actually did the Triduum services every night, including veneration on Good Friday. Easter was in the main theater. It was beautiful to see so many people take time during their cruise to worship together. But sailing on Good Friday was definitely a good way to test our commitment to sacrificing!!

Just wanted to comment how beautiful this post is!

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, but my understanding is that this is significant to Catholics.

OP, I highly doubt you will get any onboard. Can you bring your own? I am not Catholic (as you can probably tell) so I don't know.

Receiving ashes on Ash Wednesday, is not limited to the Catholic Curch. Other denomination of Christian Religions receive ashes, including the Lutheran Church.

Agree with another poster. This is a beautiful post!!

It's really up to religious people to bring whatever they need for their observances. The companies cannot possibly accommodate all manner of beliefs, so people should accept some responsibility for their needs in that area.

It's really up to religious people to bring whatever they need for their observances. The companies cannot possibly accommodate all manner of beliefs, so people should accept some responsibility for their needs in that area.

Unfortunately the "ashes" used at services on Ash Wednesday are not something you can buy at your local religious store.

Edited by cruisenfever

HI Thank You all for your help and suggestions. In the future I will look and keep track of the date of Ash Wednesday. If you could have seen my face drop when I realized what I had done.... I sure will be just watching everyone else eat on that day, as it is our custom to fast. It will be good for me after eating all the previous days. It is a sea day, so we will unfortunately not be in a port. We are also going to talk with our clergymen to see what we can do.