NCL, not compassionate to loyal customers

F55

Anyone see NCL's website lately? Prices have reduced drastically on Southern March cruises. Too bad they are not compassionate to their loyal customers. Perhaps booking with a travel agent is a better avenue than with them directly.

I think you are missing some info... Aren't price drops good?

Here's a tip from a loyal passenger....I'm Platnum on NCL but also on Royal and Carnival.....Here's a universal tip!!

NEVER, NEVER,NEVER book your cruise early for this exact reason! Unless you want a highly, highly sought after cabin like an aft suite with wrap around balcony, you don't need to book in advance. Even for Haven suites you don't need to book early. You will never get a good deal booking in advance.

In this day of many, many mega ships, you can find a great deal last minute and a great cabin. Book as late as you possibly can wait! Always.

I definitely do not agree with this. We have always booked in advance, and have never paid more than the last minute cruisers. Are fares have always been substantially less. Maybe if you're cruising in the off season your theory would work.
Definitely agree last minute bookings for off season maybe the way to go, accept for hard to get cabins/locations!;)

Actually another poster on another thread about the same thing explained it this way. She said she went to store the day after Christmas and bough Christmas wrapping paper for 25 cents, naturally it was reduced dramatically. What she got was what was left, what others didn't choose to buy before Christmas. Its the same exact thing with cabins on cruise ships. If your willing to wait for the last minute for low prices, the cabin selection is sometimes not the best. If the price is reduced before you make your final payment your TA should be able to get the price reduction.

Booked an S6 aft haven suite about 9 months ago on the Breakaway. Had the choice of any deck etc at a fabulous price + $300 obc. Several months later the price increased $800 pp. The category has been sold out for months and I'm 2 weeks past final payment. There are several suites on the front of the ship at very good prices but would never consider sailing in one of those.

Here's a tip from a loyal passenger....I'm Platnum on NCL but also on Royal and Carnival.....Here's a universal tip!!

NEVER, NEVER,NEVER book your cruise early for this exact reason! Unless you want a highly, highly sought after cabin like an aft suite with wrap around balcony, you don't need to book in advance. Even for Haven suites you don't need to book early. You will never get a good deal booking in advance.

In this day of many, many mega ships, you can find a great deal last minute and a great cabin. Book as late as you possibly can wait! Always.

Booking is a double edged sword. There are lots of perks for early booking

*Get the cabin you want

* Get OBC with specials

* Get double latitude points 9 months in advance

He probably paid in full already. NCL is pretty good at upgrading though. The OP should try it.

Yeah, just wish the OP would flat out state what the issue is he he/she is gonna complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

*Get the cabin you want

* Get OBC with specials

Booked early for double points. After my next cruise I will be gold. Not that that really means anything lol! :D

*Get the cabin you want

* Get OBC with specials

True. if I know I'm definitely going on a cruise - I'm booking early. I want my cabin, I want my credits, and I definitely want my extra points! My Getaway cruise and my Epic are both triple points because of the latitude offers combined with booking 9 months in advance.

Booked early for double points. After my next cruise I will be gold. Not that that really means anything lol! :D

It sure does.

Gold gets you the welcome latitudes gift which now is Godiva chocolates

Priority tendering

And more discounts all over the ship including internet minutes and laundry

As a seasoned cruiser myself, I certainly agree with you - in principle. However, not to be overlooked is NCL's policy of awarding double cruise points for any cruise booked more than 9 months in advance. If (like me) you're looking for the fastest way to platinum, early booking is a must. Otherwise, your advice is sound. I've discovered the best way to do it - on NCL - is to purchase a future cruise certificate - that way you can book with the certificate (for only the cost of the certificate, $250) - then book an inside guarantee for the lowest price possible, and then...wait...wait...wait...and check prices every day. Worst case scenario? You end up with an inside cabin. Best case? You upgrade to a balcony level for minimal additional cost. Like I just did recently on the Epic. Went from an inside guarantee to a balcony 3 days from cruise date for only $40 bucks.

Gotta learn to play the game, you know? :D:D

Your absolutely right our aft suite has gone up $800 pp since we booked.

Doing the happy dance.

My aft suite on BA went up $1200 since I booked. The suites I have sailed in never had a significant price drop. Only 1 time the total price went down $100. I've always had suites I had booked increase. I wish they would go down in price :D

Anyone see NCL's website lately? Prices have reduced drastically on Southern March cruises. Too bad they are not compassionate to their loyal customers. Perhaps booking with a travel agent is a better avenue than with them directly.

Chevy's selling pick-up trucks cheap now too !!!:eek:

It sure does.

Gold gets you the welcome latitudes gift which now is Godiva chocolates

Priority tendering

And more discounts all over the ship including internet minutes and laundry

This is great news :)

Makes me want to book another cruise. I've contemplated doing a "last minute cruise" but I cannot not book a cruise months out. I'm too impatient!

My aft suite on BA went up $1200 since I booked. The suites I have sailed in never had a significant price drop. Only 1 time the total price went down $100. I've always had suites I had booked increase. I wish they would go down in price :D

We seem to be seeing that out of NY and NJ area right now. I think because NCL has both the Gem and Breakaway they might be having trouble filling them both. Our friends were upgraded from a regular Spa Suite to the Haven after final payment on our Feb. Breakaway cruise. The Breakaway prices continue to be falling with the exception of the week the kids are off from school.

Edited by antsnanny

My favorite aft ph on the Sun seems to always sell out. With only 20 suites and only a few aft, and even fewer with a separate bedroom I book very early.

The one time we booked last minute, and it wad not NCL, waiting a week cost us more. We did book one week before sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cruise is 3/11 and I booked it 12/18. I have not yet found a price near the deal I got booking it 3 months early. I paid $40 pp for a 5 night cruise cabin category OA.

i'm a book early kinda guy (1 year +). i also believe in last minute deals. i just cannot execute the latter method because i need to submit vacation plans at work. i cannot wait until i retire to begin booking a cruise a week before the sail date. i'll come back in 25yrs to give testimony. :D

That being said, prices fluctuate up/down from the first day one begins pricing their cruise. Just to compare apples to apples, we will leave out TA discounts or give backs on commission (that's the other thread).

I have experienced both: prices climbing from booking over a year ahead AND prices dropping-holding-dropping again.

Too many variables to have a solid discussion on this: one's choice of itinerary, peak/off-peak, holiday week, cabin choice...etc.

But if one expects a real life example. My recent CTN on the Gem this month was around $49 (or whatever it was) when i started looking in Dec 2013, then I was checking weekly until about the last week of Jan 2014. On the day I booked the base price went as low as $22 base for an Inside. The next day and beyond...it rose up to $89 for the same Inside (if memory serves). This may not be the best example, but an example nonetheless where prices don't always drop the closer to sailing date.

For those curious, taxes and port charges were $91!!! :eek: