Saving Money in Cozumel

juanotero79

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports of call. I've been there several times and every time I find ways to save money and I would like to share what I have found. If this is your first time going there and you like history and going to the beach, I would go to the Tulum Mayan Ruins tour. This is a beautiful place and it's a must seen place to go to, after the tour of the ruins you usually get some time to lay at the beach there and it is amazing!

However, if you have been there several times and don't know what else to do since most western Caribbean cruises go there I will share with you what I do! I usually rent a car in the island, which it's cheaper than going on a taxi if you are planning to go to the beach and do some shopping afterwards. I have found that renting a car online via any of the American car rental companies is way cheaper than renting at the port the day of arrival. The day of arrival the cheapest cars there go for $50.00 approximately. When I rent online before I go there I have rented cars for less than $20.00 a day!!! If you consider that you can rent a van online for $65.00 if you have a big family you save plenty of money for shopping and fun! Driving there is safe and hard to get lost since the island is so small. :rolleyes:

If you like going to the beach and drinking Mexican beer, I have found by going to the big Mexican retail stores there that you can buy a box of 24 beers for less than $10.00. If you think about it, you can actually buy a disposable ice chest and ice there and still save a lot of money!!! Of course you can't take these to the private beaches, but if you go to a public beach and drink you could have lots of fun and sped little money. Of course you should always have a designated driver!!! You don't want to end up in a Mexican prison!!! ;)

I went to Cozumel during the Thanksgiving break and found out that video game consoles in those big retailers there are cheaper than in the US. You can save some money if you are thinking about buying things like these... Other stuff that I usually buy when I go there are personal hygiene products and medicine.

The other items I find cheap to buy there are silver jewelry. My niece always travels with me and she always buys the nicest silver charms and earrings there for great prices! We usually go to the stores in the cruise terminal. I believe these kind of items you should buy in stores that are larger and more reputable like the ones at the terminal.

I am not a big drinker or a party animal, so I enjoy going there to shop and have some fun!

I know most of you aren't into shopping for stuff like me, but some of you might actually enjoy it and save some money with these tips!

Have fun in Cozumel and enjoy it there! I will be there in less than a month and I am so excited that I found a car online for $22.00 dollars I thought I could share some of the stuff that I do there to save some $$$. I am a teacher and every dollar I save is important so that I could use what I save to enjoy it in the cruise!! :)