Venice Pre-Cruise Hotel

whynotsooner

A good value for money hotel nearby is the Best Western Hotel Olimpia Venezia.

Hotel in Venetian Style. Excellent location and great breakfast too.

If you like modern-style check Ca' Pozzo Inn.

Clean rooms and also great location.

If you want to stay very close to the port maybe Casa Sant'Andrea.

I booked several times with hotels-n-europe.com. Check them out.

We're staying a couple nights at the Mestre Novotel. It was 74 EUR a night through Hotwire for a room for four. Apparently, it's 20 minutes by bus to Piazzale Roma. Novotels usually have a decent standard.

Edited by Alex71

We stayed at hotel papodopoli. Very convenient ...took express bus from airport for 5? Euros and walked 2 minutes from bus stop and bingo there is hotel. Charming hotel overlooking canal. Nice restaurants nearby. Good included buffet breakfast...30 minute walk to San Marco but it was a lovely walk

You might find it more convenient to stay in the Piazzale Roma area ... it's the last point of land travel in Venice so its where taxis and buses must drop their passengers. And it's where you catch the People Mover (monorail) to the pier for 1E, 3 minutes, or take a cab if you can't manage your luggage.

If you can't manage your luggage, there are 2 hotels at Piazzale Roma which require no bridge crossings ... Ca Doge and Santa Chiara. There are 3-4 more that require one small bridge crossing. And many more if you can walk a few blocks and manage 2 bridges.

If you can easily manage your luggage, you can stay anywhere in Venice. Use this guide, with Piazzale Roma as your location:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

You might find it more convenient to stay in the Piazzale Roma area ... it's the last point of land travel in Venice so its where taxis and buses must drop their passengers. And it's where you catch the People Mover (monorail) to the pier for 1E, 3 minutes, or take a cab if you can't manage your luggage.

If you can't manage your luggage, there are 2 hotels at Piazzale Roma which require no bridge crossings ... Ca Doge and Santa Chiara. There are 3-4 more that require one small bridge crossing. And many more if you can walk a few blocks and manage 2 bridges.

If you can easily manage your luggage, you can stay anywhere in Venice. Use this guide, with Piazzale Roma as your location:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

We are staying in the Piazzale Roma area, specifically for these reasons -- easy transport from airport to this train station and then a seemingly short walk to Hotel Antiche Figure and then easy walk to the people mover for transport to the port.

We are cruising out of Venice in June and have made a reservation at the Belle Époque which is one bridge ad a couple blocks away from P. Roma. It was the least expensive hotel I could find that had private bathrooms in each room. I'm hoping that I made a good choice!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are cruising out of Venice in June and have made a reservation at the Belle Époque which is one bridge ad a couple blocks away from P. Roma. It was the least expensive hotel I could find that had private bathrooms in each room. I'm hoping that I made a good choice!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

if you're arriving at Piazzale Roma, that one bridge to cross is the big one across the Grand Canal. The steps are quite shallow which makes it easier for dragging luggage, but it also means there are lots more of them.

You can see the bridge in the small photo on the right:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

(If you can't manage your luggage there is a left luggage facility at PRoma, probably 5e per bag)

We have looked at many rooms for just one night pre cruise and cant find anything inexpensive.

We are flying from Texas 10-31 and wont arrive Milan till next morning. Then train ride to Venice probably arriving late afternoon. Of course , will be tired. Just need a room Saturday night b4 cruise on Sunday. Everything near plaza was either booked or very expensive. any ideas?

We have looked at many rooms for just one night pre cruise and cant find anything inexpensive.

We are flying from Texas 10-31 and wont arrive Milan till next morning. Then train ride to Venice probably arriving late afternoon. Of course , will be tired. Just need a room Saturday night b4 cruise on Sunday. Everything near plaza was either booked or very expensive. any ideas?

Since you're arriving by train, consider hopping off in Mestre instead. There are several hotels within a block of the Mestre station.

Mestre is the last stop on the mainland before crossing the causeway into Venice. Accomodation can be cheaper there since it's not Venice, yet in 10 minutes you can be at Piazzale Roma, by train or bus. (Another advantage to staying in Mestre, if you can't easily manage your luggage, you can take a cab from your hotel directly to the pier. )

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/planner/blp_venice_hotels_mainland.htm

A budget friendly hotel near the Venice train station is Hotel Santa Lucia. Sells out quickly tho.

Edited by mapleleaves
hotel santa lucia

We used hotel Villa Rosa, locates close to Santa Lucia railway station, just short walk and no cross any bridges. Very nice clean hotel, exceptionaly friendly staff.

Edited by kurgan

The weekend of 10/31-11/2 is the All Saint's feast weekend in Italy. We were in Venice at that time last year and the crowds were far greater than we'd experienced the previous June. The gorgeous weather we had likely contributed to Venice being so busy!

We boarded the Silhouette on Thursday 10/31 and overnighted on it. Our friend who traveled with us to Tuscany before the cruise stayed at the BW Olimpia 2 nights departing on Sat. the 1st. I suspect that Saturday is the more popular day for those Italians spending the weekend in Venice.

One option for you would be to stay in Milan and take the train to the ship the next day if you can't find a hotel within your price comfort zone. Mestre is also an excellent idea, because luggage schlepping from Venice St. Lucia to a Piazzale Roma hotel can be trying unless you reserve on that has only one bridge to cross. The Calatrava bridge in itself is no picnic!

You won't find anything inexpensive in Venice! Certainly on Venice island you will pay twice what you can pay in the hotels in Mestre. Many cruisers stay at the Hotel Tritone opposite the Mestre railway station, the stop before Santa Lucia station which is on Venice island. There is also the Hotel Anthony (which I understand arranges transfers to the cruise port) although not walking distance from the station so you would have to take a taxi from the station to the Anthony and of course the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre, although if you are coming in on the train your best bet would be close to the station as you can then just get back on the train at Mestre which will take you directly to Santa Lucia station which is near the terminal. However be aware that if you get the train into Santa Lucia, you will have to drag your luggage across one or two bridges to reach Piazzale Roma from where the people mover will take you close to the cruise terminal. The people mover costs about 1 euro. If you have lots of luggage you would be better to take a taxi to the cruise terminal for about 35 euros or at least a bus from Mestre that takes you directly into Piazzale Roma.

I hope this helps in your planning.

Have a good trip.

Sapphire

Edited by Sapphire56

We will be staying in Venice for one night before embarking the Celebrity Silhouette on July 3rd ans was wondering if anyone could maybe some recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel that is value to moderately priced. Thanks in advance

We were booked at a hotel in Mestre, close to the train station but recently we changed our booking to the Sarah Sun Island, a yacht, on Giudecca island. To arrive at Sarah Sun Island, one needs to go on Waterbus #2 at Ferrovia and get off at the 2nd stop. With VAT, our economy double cabin is approximately 138 euro. There are several categories.

It has nice reviews on trip advisor.

Edited by paiagirl
to correct amount

We were booked at a hotel in Mestre, close to the train station but recently we changed our booking to the Sarah Sun Island, a yacht, on Giudecca island. To arrive at Sarah Sun Island, one needs to go on Waterbus #2 at Ferrovia and get off at the 2nd stop. With VAT, our economy double cabin is approximately 138 euro. There are several categories.

Doesn't that mean lots of getting on and off waterbuses with heavy luggage? It sounds nice but I would worry about getting to and from the yacht. Good luck with it and I hope it turns out fine for you. Please post back after your trip and let us know how easy it was to get to and from as it sounds like the sort of place I would happily stay at.

Sapphire56

We also looked at the Sarah yacht and were intrigued, but ultimately decided against it. With 13 nights onboard the Princess Regal, we really didn't need two or three more nights in an even smaller cabin on a boat! What really sealed the decision for not staying on the Sarah was lugging baggage to/from Plaza Roma to the yacht.

If you're staying on Sarah for more than one night, do they include the afternoon cruise/tour in the price?

Doesn't that mean lots of getting on and off waterbuses with heavy luggage? It sounds nice but I would worry about getting to and from the yacht. Good luck with it and I hope it turns out fine for you. Please post back after your trip and let us know how easy it was to get to and from as it sounds like the sort of place I would happily stay at.

Sapphire56

We will be traveling with a carry on luggage and back pack.

We will be traveling with a carry on luggage and back pack.

YAY! another light packer! We used a 24" inch wheeled case and a shoulder tote for a 1 week cruise plus 2+ weeks of land travel in Spain and Portugal.

It makes travel so much easier (and cheaper) when you don't have excess luggage..... no extra airline fees, you can use cheap public transportation instead of a cab, and you aren't limited to pricier hotels near a transportation hub.

There are laundramats everywhere, even on the ship. While your clothes are spinning, it's fun to enjoy lunch or dinner at a locals cafe.

YAY! another light packer! We used a 24" inch wheeled case and a shoulder tote for a 1 week cruise plus 2+ weeks of land travel in Spain and Portugal.

It makes travel so much easier (and cheaper) when you don't have excess luggage..... no extra airline fees, you can use cheap public transportation instead of a cab, and you aren't limited to pricier hotels near a transportation hub.

There are laundramats everywhere, even on the ship. While your clothes are spinning, it's fun to enjoy lunch or dinner at a locals cafe.

Interesting you should say there are laundramats everywhere. My husband and I did 5 weeks driving/touring around Italy. We saw laundramats in Germany, but did not see ONE in Italy. We arrived in Verona, on to Venice, down the East coast crossed over to Benevento, Naples, Sicily, back up the western coast to Rome, Pisa, Lake Maggiore, and into Switzerland. Every time we asked for a laundramat, we were sent to a cleaners. But besides that, I DON'T DO LAUNDRY when I'm on vacation. Just not happening! Hubby and I had 3 25" hard shell old style suitcases. His, hers & misc. First night all 3 suitcases went into the hotel. Moved things around so that the following nights only had to take in 1 suitcase for the first week, then repeated the process. This system worked well for us.

Everyone travels differently. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I don't still want some of the comforts from home. Thank goodness there are choices for everyone's different tastes. Happy travels to all.

Sounds like you made it work, and that's what counts!

On this particular trip we were staying in the Santa Croce area so we used a laundramat near the Venice train station. There was a cafe just a couple of doors away so we sat outside, ate and people watched.

We are booked at the Marriott near the airport. The hotel will pick you up free at the airport. You can check in and then take the bus into Plaza Roma from in front of the hotel that runs every half hour or so. Then you can do what you want in Venice and return to sleep. It is also convenient if you are flying out from Venice. It is not as convenient as staying at Plaza Roma and there are not good restaurants nearby, but it is much less expensive. We did this a few years ago after a cruise and saw as much as we wanted to see in Venice before returning to the hotel to sleep and then fly out the next day. We are staying at the Marriott this fall the day before we board for extra time in Venice. We are then staying one night on our ship in Venice before sailing, so we should have plenty of time to see a lot.