JR Suite Question

tdmullins

I have sailed twice with Royal Caribbean, both times in Grand Suites. This time I will be in a JR Suite. I recently read two different reviews that mentioned that they went to their cabins early. As in before they were announced.

On my last two cruises I waited around until rooms were announced ready because I was unaware of this perk. My question is twofold. One, is this really a perk, and people not just making it a perk for themselves? Two, if it is a legitimate perk is this available for JR suites?

Thanks! My third cruise on RCL and I am still coming to CC for help!

I have sailed twice with Royal Caribbean, both times in Grand Suites. This time I will be in a JR Suite. I recently read two different reviews that mentioned that they went to their cabins early. As in before they were announced.

On my last two cruises I waited around until rooms were announced ready because I was unaware of this perk. My question is twofold. One, is this really a perk, and people not just making it a perk for themselves? Two, if it is a legitimate perk is this available for JR suites?

Thanks! My third cruise on RCL and I am still coming to CC for help!

We always book a JR suite. Some cruises we have been able to go to our suite and it was ready, other times we were told we had to wait. I don't think it's an actual perk, just whether the cabin is cleaned and ready or not.

We understood the fire doors were closed until the area is open for everyone. Maybe that is not correct, but we have waited until the stated time and then wandered along for a look. We have seen the fire doors closed and then come back for a look 5 minutes later and they were open. I can't say I have personally ever heard the announcement that rooms are open, but I am not saying that it hasn't been announced, I may have been not listening properly or in the wrong area to hear.

We understood the fire doors were closed until the area is open for everyone. Maybe that is not correct, but we have waited until the stated time and then wandered along for a look. We have seen the fire doors closed and then come back for a look 5 minutes later and they were open. I can't say I have personally ever heard the announcement that rooms are open, but I am not saying that it hasn't been announced, I may have been not listening properly or in the wrong area to hear.

You understood correctly, or at least, I understood the same! The fire doors remain closed and the only passengers permitted to go through them are those travelling on a B2B. I have heard of other people going through to leave stuff in their new room to be told by the stateroom attendant that it was not wise to leave their stuff in the room until they have full access as the doors of all the cabins may not be closed until their section is completed so they cannot guarantee security.

I too go up around 12.55 and once the door was open and twice it opened exactly at 13.00. I was in a GS 2 of the 3 times and was told that we couldn't go through early, all rooms opened at the same time. I have heard of people in CLS going in slightly earlier but not sure under what circumstances.

3 cruises and I have never heard the announcement and I have always been on the Royal Promenade waiting... Guess I just don't listen properly!

It also may not be a perk as such, but just a mistake.

One cruise I saw the doors were closed, went to lunch, then did other things while we waited and as we were going past at the other end, the doors were already open. So we walked along the corridor but when we got to our end, the doors at that end were closed.

I guess someone made a mistake and left them open, or opened early, but the cleaning was still in progress.

So yes, best to wait til the announcement!

I recall having heard "Rooms are Open" announcements in past years, but not in the last couple. Perhaps that is because we are better organized and get to the WJ early and then vacate to let others have a seat. Maybe the announcement is only (or primarily) in WJ as they try to get the crowd to move. I thought the official time is 1:30pm, but I have encountered some fire doors still closed then, while others are open much earlier. I would GUESS that the Housekeeping Supervisor for that hallway can / does open the firedoors as soon as all the rooms in that one area are available.

Thom

Some times the top decks are the first to be opened up and as these are where a lot of suites are you can get in sooner.

Have often wondered what happens if you have the Royal suite, as the concierge comes ashore to take you on board they must go straight to their suite methinks.

Definitely not a perk. We've been in both JS and GS and never had early access to cabins. Even if the fire doors were not closed, I wouldn't trust sneaking down the hall to drop off carry ons as cabin doors are left open while cleaning takes place.

Some times the top decks are the first to be opened up and as these are where a lot of suites are you can get in sooner.

Have often wondered what happens if you have the Royal suite, as the concierge comes ashore to take you on board they must go straight to their suite methinks.

The Royal Suite is the only exception for accessing the cabin early. Besides those on a B2B.

Edited by Florida Scorpion

Unless you are looking for cruise points being doubled the JS isn't worth the extra money over a large balcony and surly not like the GS are. Depends on what your needs are and how many points you have now

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your not carrying to much luggage go to the concierge lounge until the rooms are open

This will be the OP's third cruise, and she'll be in a JS. So she would not have access to the CL.

Unless you are looking for cruise points being doubled the JS isn't worth the extra money over a large balcony and surly not like the GS are. Depends on what your needs are and how many points you have now

JS cabins on Radiance class and above offer much more than a larger balcony. The cabin is much larger, walk in closet is a great perk and the bathroom is larger with a tub/shower combo.

We are looking forward to our first JS on our cruises next year.We wondner about the ship until 1. I generally use the time to take pictures or we just roam about. When we see it is open we go back and unpack our carryons, go back out and wait on our checked bags. If they hopefully arrive by 2/3, we then unpack them until muster is called.

JS cabins on Radiance class and above offer much more than a larger balcony. The cabin is much larger, walk in closet is a great perk and the bathroom is larger with a tub/shower combo.

Voyager and Freedom class as well. Definitely a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't think it was a perk. But wanted to make sure before I cruised this time.

I am already booked in a JS. So my question wasn't whether I should upgrade or not. BTW I upgraded to this JS from my balcony room for $0. So technically there wasn't any extra money. Well, there was some extra OBC because I had booked during a WOW sale and it bumped up my OBC to $300.

I am excited about the extra room. We have only cruised in Grand Suites but had decided to do just a regular balcony this time. So I was very happy when I was able to upgrade for free so I could have more room.