Istanbul visa

I have read the other threads, called the cruise line etc and get differing answers.

Scenario: we are taking a Viking cruise which ends in Istanbul after overnighting there. In the morning, we go to the airport with Viking's transfer, using air booked through them. Visa or not? We are Canadian, so it would cost an extra $120 dollars (60 each).

I have read the other threads, called the cruise line etc and get differing answers.

Scenario: we are taking a Viking cruise which ends in Istanbul after overnighting there. In the morning, we go to the airport with Viking's transfer, using air booked through them. Visa or not? We are Canadian, so it would cost an extra $120 dollars (60 each).

I do not think you will need the visa. However, Viking should tell you yes or no.

I know the search function does not work...but go back through a few pages and there is a posting on e-visas for Turkey...I do think you need one for overnight stay in Turkey.If you cannot get info from cruiseline call your consulate.They generally run about $10 (american)

I do think you need one for overnight stay in Turkey.If you cannot get info from cruiseline call your consulate.They generally run about $10 (american)
Currently, you do not need a visa if you are stopping in Turkey for less than 72 hours during a cruise. But this visa waiver seems to apply only if you arrive and leave by cruise ship. Since the OP's cruise ends in Istanbul, the people at the airport will expect them to have a visa when they try to fly out of Istanbul. Unfortunately it is $60 per person for Canadians… :(

OP, when is your cruise? The visa procedures are supposedly changing in April 2014 and you will no longer be able to obtain a "sticker" visa upon arrival and you will have to pay for an e-visa in advance. If you're cruising before that, you should be able to buy a sticker at the port. But definitely find out if Viking is already arranging this for you, or if they offer it as an extra service.

See also the following threads (Google is still working ;)):

Visa - Disembarking in Istanbul

Visas for Turkey

On Line Visas for Istanbul/Turkey

Visas for Turkey

I only wrote that a visa may be needed as they said they were ending cruise there and staying overnight...ending being the operative word. I know people needed a visa for this at least Americans. Would be nice if they lowered the price for Canadians. BTW, I was told the SEARCH function should be up and running soon.They are overhauling it. I sure hope so as there are a lot of new cruisers.

Currently, you do not need a visa if you are stopping in Turkey for less than 72 hours during a cruise. But this visa waiver seems to apply only if you arrive and leave by cruise ship. Since the OP's cruise ends in Istanbul, the people at the airport will expect them to have a visa when they try to fly out of Istanbul. Unfortunately it is $60 per person for Canadians… :(

OP, when is your cruise? The visa procedures are supposedly changing in April 2014 and you will no longer be able to obtain a "sticker" visa upon arrival and you will have to pay for an e-visa in advance. If you're cruising before that, you should be able to buy a sticker at the port. But definitely find out if Viking is already arranging this for you, or if they offer it as an extra service.

Visas for Turkey

Visas for Turkey

Nice to see some accurate information posted for once!

Visas for Turkey

Visas for Turkey

My cruise is not until next year. I heard from my TA about the change in April. He seemed to think I would need a Visa. I called Viking. The lady kept putting me on hold and came back with a number for me to call which wouldn't work from Canada. Then I looked up that place and e mailed them. They wrote right back saying the only people who could tell me for sure were the airline I would be flying. Today's job - call the Turkish embassy in Toronto.

They wrote right back saying the only people who could tell me for sure were the airline I would be flying.
If you manage to get to your departure gate at the airport, the airline could care less about your Turkish visa… :D The only person who knows for sure is the guy who will be doing your passport/visa check to get into the departures area of the airport. Since there will be no record of your entry into Turkey when he scans in your passports, there will be a red flag. When you tell him you just got off a cruise ship, he might just wave you through, or he might choose to give you a really hard time for not having obtained visas.

Anyway, whatever people tell you today could very well be obsolete by the time you cruise next year. So I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

EDIT: On second thought, I imagine that the cruise line gives them the passport info for passengers arriving in Turkey, so the guy at the airport will probably have you in his system, and there will be a definite protocol in place for processing your exit. I still think it's possible that you might get away with not having visas, but it won't be up to that guy to decide.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Unless the rules change (unlikely), you will need a visa. You need the visa to depart from Ataturk (Istanbul) airport.

Canadian = $60

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

I called the Turkish consulate who connected me with the visa department. The definitive answer is that I need a visa for the privilege of flying back from Istanbul. If we were leaving again on the ship, no problem. Much as I'm ticked off about having to fork out another$120 for that, I don't think its a time to play games and try to "get away with it", as was suggested! By the way, the reason that Canadians pay $60 is because that is what we charge them. Good old Canadian government.

Thanks to all for your responses. End of story.

By the way, the reason that Canadians pay $60 is because that is what we charge them. Good old Canadian government.
Turkish tourists visiting Canada have to pay 100 CAD for a visitor visa.

Back when the Turkish visa cost $100 for Americans, they also claimed that they were just matching the fees in the other direction. But nowadays, a tourist visa for the USA requires a $160 application fee :eek:, but the cost of the Turkish e-visa for Americans is only $20. So "reciprocity" is only part of the story.

I'm registered on the Department of State's travel alerts for certain upcoming port visits. Here's the latest info for Turkish visas:

Embassy of the United States of America

Ankara, Turkey

February 20, 2014

Message for U.S. Citizens

Transition Period: Turkish Airport Visas

Revised Information and Fee Increase

This supersedes the Message for U.S. Citizens sent on January 16, 2014 regarding visas on arrival in Turkey.

Beginning April 11, 2014, the Turkish authorities will start to phase out the practice of providing visas upon arrival at points of entry in Turkey. Once this program is phased out, all foreigners will have to obtain their Turkish visas from Turkish missions aboard or from the e-visa application system, depending on eligibility.

For a transitional period during the 2014 tourism season, before the program is phased out, foreigners arriving in Turkey without visas will be able to obtain e-visas via interactive kiosks at Turkish airports. The fee for an e-visa upon arrival for Americans is US$30.00. The fee for e-visas obtained prior to arrival in Turkey is US$20.

PLEASE NOTE: The e-visa system is only usable for travelers entering Turkey for tourism or commerce. For any other purpose of travel, the applicant must obtain a Turkish visa in advance from a Turkish diplomatic or consular post. Information regarding Turkish e-visas and the application process can be found at: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Contact information for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Turkey:

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara is located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, tel: (90)(312) 455-5555, fax (90)(312) 468-6131. The Internet address is http://ankara.usembassy.gov.

The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul is located at Uçsehitler Sokagi No. 2, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, tel: (90) (212) 335-9000, fax (90) (212) 335-9102. Istanbul-specific information can also be accessed via the Consulate's web site at http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/.

The U.S. Consulate in Adana is located at Girne Bulvari No. 212, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey. tel: (90)(322) 346-6262, fax (90)(322) 346-7916, web site: http://adana.usconsulate.gov.

The Consular Agency in Izmir can be reached at tel: (90) (232) 464-8755, fax (90) (232) 464-8916.

I called the Turkish Embassy in DC. Turns out if you arrive by ship, visa NOT required (at this time!). This includes if you spend a night on the ship and leave the next day. We are staying at a hotel the night we arrive and leave the following morning. Visa clerk wasn't sure, but we'll take our chance at the airport and say we overnighted on the ship! If we "get caught" so be it, we'll pay the US$30 each.