Shareholders benefits - combinability ?

wieslaw

Hi,

it has been a while since I used the shareholder benefit ( but it was after the changes in 2008). The search does not work so I do not know if that subject was talked about recently, so I am looking for some updates.

Can the shareholder benefit be combined with any other discounts or obc, like a military rate discount ?, or senior rate discount ? or 'bring a friend' (obc) ?

Hi,

it has been a while since I used the shareholder benefit ( but it was after the changes in 2008). The search does not work so I do not know if that subject was talked about recently, so I am looking for some updates.

Can the shareholder benefit be combined with any other discounts or obc, like a military rate discount ?, or senior rate discount ? or 'bring a friend' (obc) ?

The shareholder benefit OBC can be combined with special rates, such as residency, senior, or military. However, it cannot be combined with C&A benefits, such as Next Cruise OBC, balcony discount, or savings certificates. Not sure about bring-a-friend, but the restrictions should be spelled out in the bring-a-friend fine print.

Thank you for your response, I hope you are correct - you have been correct in hundreds of other answers that you provided in the past.

I did get a very good rate on a sailing on Vision ( dec 2014) and there is a military rate that I got as well, but it is listed differently than in the past.

It is listed as a " discount " ...... so I am not sure if shareholder can be applied.

Thank you for your response, I hope you are correct - you have been correct in hundreds of other answers that you provided in the past.

I did get a very good rate on a sailing on Vision ( dec 2014) and there is a military rate that I got as well, but it is listed differently than in the past.

It is listed as a " discount " ...... so I am not sure if shareholder can be applied.

Royal changed their reservation system this past October, and the invoices are slightly different. The Senior rate also appears as a discount.

Regarding whether the shareholder OBC can be combined, I've done it in the past. However, lately Royal has been finding new ways to deny or diminish benefits, so I would not be surprised if they come up with some new criteria to deny the benefit.

I was not able to combine my shareholder with my oceanview cabin on Vision a Cat F but since it was a 10 day cruise the OBC for booking with a Next Cruise was $150 so I gave that up to get the $200 OBC that is available as a shareholder.

Royal changed their reservation system this past October, and the invoices are slightly different. The Senior rate also appears as a discount.

Regarding whether the shareholder OBC can be combined, I've done it in the past. However, lately Royal has been finding new ways to deny or diminish benefits, so I would not be surprised if they come up with some new criteria to deny the benefit.

Sad but true. I don't know about the Senior discount but we have applied the military discount since the "upgrades" and instead of taking minutes to apply it, now it takes a call by the RCL rep to the Resolutions Dept to have it applied.

Sad but true. I don't know about the Senior discount but we have applied the military discount since the "upgrades" and instead of taking minutes to apply it, now it takes a call by the RCL rep to the Resolutions Dept to have it applied.

We just booked a cruise on Explorer for March 21st - Senior Rate. We applied for and were given our Shareholder Benefit OBC.

We're shareholders too. Here's the info on the combinability rules from an e-mail I received from Investor Relations.

Dear Deirdre,

Under current program guidelines the RCL Shareholder onboard credit can be combined with RCL Credit Card Reward Points, Gift Certificates, Senior Rates, Law Enforcement Rates, Resident Rates, Military Discount Rates, Letters of Credit, Redeployment Offers, Travel Agent Onboard Credits, Travel Agents Pre-Paid Gratuities and Future Cruise Certificates/Passages (purchased onboard prior to December 31, 2008).

The RCL Shareholder Benefit is not combinable with offers that already include onboard credits, “dollars off” promotions, loyalty offers (Diamond/Platinum) or Future Cruise Certificates/Passages purchased onboard after January 1, 2009.

In the event that non-combinable offers, promotions or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose the offer, promotion or benefit which is most advantageous for you. All requests should be received in our offices approximately 2 – 3 weeks prior to sailing date.

Shareholder Benefit

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$ 50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Shareholder onboard credit is valid for any cruise vacation on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, or Azamara Club Cruises (excludes any sailings on the Celebrity Xpedition™ Galapagos).

To request your shareholder onboard credit, please provide a copy of your shareholder proxy card or a current brokerage statement showing proof of share ownership in Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. along with your sailing date, name of vessel and reservation/booking number. You can either: mail the documents to Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Investor Benefit, P.O. Box 025511, Miami, Florida 33102-5511, fax the documents to (305) 373-6699 or email jpeg/pdf images of all required documents to shareholderbenefit@rccl.com. Requests should be received in our office approximately 2 - 3 weeks prior to your sail date.

Visit our website at www.rclinvestor.com for complete program details.

Please feel free to contact us if you should have any further questions.

Thank you,

RCL Investor Relations

Hi,

thank you for the replles, comments and posts. I just got an email from RCCL addressing my question if the "Bring a friend" obc can be combined with shareholder obc.

Here is what they wrote:

ShareholderBenefit@rccl.com writes:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxi,

Thank you for your email.

Within certain limits, holders of at least 100 shares of Royal Caribbean

Cruises, Ltd. Stock (RCL) may request an onboard credit for almost any

sailing on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara

Club Cruises. (The Celebrity Xpedition is not included in the offer.)

The amount of the onboard credit is based on the number of nights of the

sailing as follows. The calculation is based only on the number of cruise

nights; nights in hotels or on cruisetours are not included in the

calculation.

5 nights or less $50

6 to 9 nights $100

10 to 13 nights $200

14 or more nights $250

The shareholders onboard credit offer is not combinable with any

dollars-off offers, other onboard credit offers (including the one for

booking onboard), nor certain pricing offers such as interline, charter,

or complimentary cruises.

Please visit our investor website (http://www.rclinvestor.com) for further

important details, terms, and restrictions.

As every scenario is different, we are unable to tell whether the offer

will apply in any hypothetical situation. Please submit a complete

request, to include the reservation number, and we will be happy to apply

the offer as appropriate.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

I wrote to them again and specifically asked again about the "Bring a friend 25 dol obc" just to make sure that I understood their answer above.

And got this response:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

We apologize but the Shareholder On Board credit is not combinable with any discounts or promotions that are on the booking.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

So I guess I am still not sure what they mean - the military discount is a discount but someone above quoted another email, that said it was combinable.

If it is, that is great, if it is not .... it is ok too .... we still will go.

My email came from " Coupon Redemption Team " I am not sure who they are. I emailed it to Shareholders investor relations provided email address

Edited by wieslaw

So I guess I am still not sure what they mean - the military discount is a discount but someone above quted another email, that said it was combinable.

If it is, that is great, if it is not .... it is ok too .... we still will go.

I assume they are talking about the bring a friend OBC because a letter was posted earlier saying that the shareholder OBC is combinable with military rates.

We're shareholders too. Here's the info on the combinability rules from an e-mail I received from Investor Relations.

Hi,

thank you very much for posting the email that you received - it explains more details than the one that I received.

How recent was the date on that email ?

Edited by wieslaw

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Well, I just was turned down for the SH credit on my upcoming 13 day TA. And I had taken off my Crown & Anchor $115 saving certificate to avoid the denial. Someone on these boards advised me to do that. So, I have written to investor relations asking for specifics. I mentioned CC and the anger and confusion on the boards here! We'll see what they say.

Debbie

Hi everyone. Well, I just was turned down for the SH credit on my upcoming 13 day TA. And I had taken off my Crown & Anchor $115 saving certificate to avoid the denial. Someone on these boards advised me to do that. So, I have written to investor relations asking for specifics. I mentioned CC and the anger and confusion on the boards here! We'll see what they say.

Debbie

Another common perk that cannot be combined with the shareholder benefit is OBC from booking on board or OBC from a WOW sale.

Another common perk that cannot be combined with the shareholder benefit is OBC from booking on board or OBC from a WOW sale.

I have no OBC. That's why I want to find out what they're basing it on. Is it any time we get a good price on a cruise we lose the shareholder credit? That is what it is beginning to sound like. If so, they can manipulate that any way they want!

I have no OBC. That's why I want to find out what they're basing it on. Is it any time we get a good price on a cruise we lose the shareholder credit? That is what it is beginning to sound like. If so, they can manipulate that any way they want!

This is all I could find:

Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate.

You're correct in that pretty much anything could qualify as "certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate".

This is all I could find:

Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate.

You're correct in that pretty much anything could qualify as "certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate".

I'm really interested in this question. Could you provide more details? Did you book directly through RCCL? What cabin category did you book and exactly how much did you pay as a base price?

I use the shareholder benefit all the time and have never had a problem when the rate was published on the RCCL web site. I have had TA OBC offers removed because they were less than the SH benefit, but once that was done I have always gotten the SH benefit.

I'm really interested in this question. Could you provide more details? Did you book directly through RCCL? What cabin category did you book and exactly how much did you pay as a base price?

I use the shareholder benefit all the time and have never had a problem when the rate was published on the RCCL web site. I have had TA OBC offers removed because they were less than the SH benefit, but once that was done I have always gotten the SH benefit.

I booked directly with RC, via phone, after looking online. This is my first cruise solo. My late DH and I had 33 together, not all RC, but many were, and we had no problem in the past getting the credit. I booked the cheapest inside cabin since I am paying double. It was a good price but prices often are on TAs as the sail date gets closer. I originally applied a C&A certificate for $115 to the price but, on the advice of someone on these boards, I took it off before applying for the SH benefit. My cruise is 13 days so the SH benefit would be $200.

I have emailed Investor Relations for a more specific answer as to why the benefit was denied. I will post that when I hear back. IMO, I think they are looking at every way to deny the benefit and have knowingly made the wording vague! We'll see. Not sure if I can put the total I paid on here. If someone tells me it is allowed I will do that.

Meanwhile, I am steaming in sunny Ft. Lauderdale!

Debbie

There's no problem posting what you paid and your cabin category. I am also a solo cruiser. It's possible that you got a reduce single supplement and that's the reason you were denied the SH benefit which would be a change in policy. What is your C&A level?

There's no problem posting what you paid and your cabin category. I am also a solo cruiser. It's possible that you got a reduce single supplement and that's the reason you were denied the SH benefit which would be a change in policy. What is your C&A level?

I paid $985.06. It is a Q category inside. And there was no reduction for single; it was twice the going rate for an inside. My C&A level is Emerald. Diamond after this cruise!

I don't see anything wrong with your booking. The cat Q room went down to $449 February 25-27 which is $898 + $87.06 port taxes for a total of $985.06. This appears to have been a published rate on the RCL web site at 200%.

I would call C&A directly and ask them about it. They should be a better resource for you than the main RCL number. They should take the time to look closely at your reservation to determine if there are any codes attached to it that would prevent you from getting the SH benefit.

Please post back about the results. I've never had any issues getting the SH benefit on a generally available rate published on the RCL web site.

I don't see anything wrong with your booking. The cat Q room went down to $449 February 25-27 which is $898 + $87.06 port taxes for a total of $985.06. This appears to have been a published rate on the RCL web site at 200%.

I would call C&A directly and ask them about it. They should be a better resource for you than the main RCL number. They should take the time to look closely at your reservation to determine if there are any codes attached to it that would prevent you from getting the SH benefit.

Please post back about the results. I've never had any issues getting the SH benefit on a generally available rate published on the RCL web site.

Well, 138east, RCL diagrees! It has been officially denied. Below is the non-responsive answer I got from Investor Relations. I asked for "specifics" about the denial. I got none. Just more boilerplate that should be void for vagueness!:mad: As I stated earlier, the way it is now written, they can deny the credit in almost any case.

Reservation 2922631 has been booked on a rate that is not combinable with the shareholder onboard credit offer.

We would like to remind you that since January 1, 2009 the shareholder benefit cannot be used in conjunction with reservations that already include onboard credits, "dollars off/wave" promotions, loyalty offers, upgrade offers, Future Cruise Certificates/Passages purchased onboard after January 1, 2009, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs and/or bookings on a reduced rate or travel agent/inter-line rate. The option to choose between the shareholder credit and the other offer is available to you. *Please note the terms and conditions reflected in the shareholder letter of our annual report or you can review our program FAQ's on our website at http://www.rclinvestor.com. The shareholder onboard credit offer is applied to all qualified reservations with valid proof of shareholder ownership.

As a loyal guest and shareholder, you are very important to us. Please understand in order for us to continue to be a good investment for you, we need to consider how applying multiple discounts and/or offers can affect our profitability, especially in these economic times. This is why we are unable to combine these offers. We hope you can understand how, in the long run, these business decisions end up benefiting all our shareholders.

Ms Vass, we apologize for any inconvenience and we look forward to seeing onboard the Liberty of the Seas.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

"

Have you called C&A? I would pursue it with them to get a more precise answer. Your booking must have some sort of special code on it that needs to be identified and interpreted by someone in C&A who theoretically is there to help you. If it were me, I would be on the phone until I had a specific answer.

I asked for "specifics" about the denial. I got none. Just more boilerplate that should be void for vagueness!:mad: As I stated earlier, the way it is now written, they can deny the credit in almost any case.

Hi,

I am sorry that RCI denied your shareholder benefit, that it seems to me you should have been awarded .

So far, as I stated in one of my posts above, I have gotten similar very general answers that can be used for just about any denial.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

We apologize but the Shareholder On Board credit is not combinable with any discounts or promotions that are on the booking.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

C&A was not much of any help in clarifying anything connected with the share holder benefit.

Edited by wieslaw

• 1 year later...

Royal Caribbean seems to be obfuscating to their own advantage here and not happy with those who would question their methods. So much for honesty.

As one of the earliest posts said, they would be on the phone with RCCL and pursue it. My guess is that many other people agreed; because DH has tried all morning and when he finally gets close to a person who should be able to clarify their obscure prose, they simply disconnect the phone - 6 (six) times so far this morning. Yes I said six. My guess is that they expect folks to just give up. But they are not counting on a retired executive who used to do this sort of thing for a living and now has lots of free time.

Dear Hubby's quest this morning was interrupted by a phone call from our broker who called it "BS," searched, found and gave him the CEO's & President's phone numbers. Dad Duty calls, so that task will have to wait until later today. Of course, that assumes they are aware of what is happening. Do the bosses even know how this looks to the general public & to shareholders? We have shares in other cruise line corporations as well and never have had any issues with shareholder benefits on our almost 70 cruises. So much for public relations.

Why have RCCL stock if you must pay more than anyone else for your cruise and even worse, if it is more than your travel agents' price? Travel agents, did I answer my own question here and do they really believe we are so stupid that we would book only through RCCL in order to get the SHB assuming it is greater than any other OBCs? Why not cancel the "benefit that no one can redeem" so that they can save the price of the employees who administer it (and who seem to mock us)?

We already know of some fellow cruisers who have sold all of their RCCL stock because it provided no real benefit to them. We may be joining them in that sentiment soon.