travel & excursion bag

mjwcruising

1. Wondering what type bag do people prefer for excursions??

2. I am interested in getting a bag for travel that has a strap to go over my luggage handle and after I'm on the ship I can use it for excursions. Muti-funtional handles would be great because I like either a shoulder strap or cross the body strap for excursions. Any suggestions???

I'd recommend this one from Sherpani:

http://sherpani.com/sherpani-verona14.aspx

It has 2 straps - one for use as a shoulder bag, one as a cross-body.

I used this one as my one bag for my last trip to Italy. It holds a ton of stuff - I had my DSLR, water, umbrella, iPad Mini, glasses… it worked great. Very durable material and some neat colors and designs.

You can also hunt for the bag in last season's patterns on places like Zappos, Tuesday Morning, etc…

For the "putting it on the luggage handle" part, you can shorten down the cross-body strap and put it and the shoulder strap around the handle. And, another thing you can use to keep in place is a Bag Bungee. You can find it at the Magellan's catalog or website. I go a cheaper route - I have some cool Gear Ties from NiteIze that I just twist around anything I want to put on the luggage handle. You can find them at REI, Amazon, etc...

I have several Sherpani bags but my favorite is one that has a pocket on the back that has a zipper on the bottom, too, so that you can slide that whole pocket over the handles of a wheeled carry-on. Have used it for many things where the little crossbody bags wouldn't work. Sorry can't remember name right now but found it on e-bay.

1. Wondering what type bag do people prefer for excursions??

2. I am interested in getting a bag for travel that has a strap to go over my luggage handle and after I'm on the ship I can use it for excursions. Muti-funtional handles would be great because I like either a shoulder strap or cross the body strap for excursions. Any suggestions???

For a "personal item" on the plane I use the bagalinni tote. I can put my kindle, a small cross body purse, all documents, a change of clothes, snacks, my tervis tumbler, etc in it. It does have the outside pocket that allows it to go over the handle of my rolling suitcase which helps tremendously when moving through the airport, streets, etc. The pocket can be zipped open from the top and bottom to slide over the handle of suitcase, but if you leave the bottom zipper closed, it can hold a magazine or other stuff. Mine is in navy, which matches my suitcase.

107617_27_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

107617_1_3?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=65&wid=65&align=0,1

This picture is too small to see, but when you go to the website, you'll see the zipper that goes across the back. Look down at the bottom and you'll see the tab to the other zipper that opens the over handle pocket. The zippers go opposite directions so they can be customized to the right size for your bag's handle.

Ebags have them on sale right now for around $70. http://www.ebags.com/category/totes/b/baggallini?lastSearchTerm=baggallini+totes&pl=hdr_srch_as_l1

Edited by 5326jan

• 3 weeks later...
I have several Sherpani bags but my favorite is one that has a pocket on the back that has a zipper on the bottom, too, so that you can slide that whole pocket over the handles of a wheeled carry-on. Have used it for many things where the little crossbody bags wouldn't work. Sorry can't remember name right now but found it on e-bay.

Is this the one that you're remembering? http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif And did it work well as a carry-on?

Thanks!

Debbie

Edited by halfvass
no picture

I too use Baggallini cross body bags. I have several of them in different colors, sizes, and styles. They are lightweight and comfortable. I get them on sale or for cheap at TJ Maxx.:D I also just recently purchased by first Sharpani bag. I plan to carry it as a carry-on when I go to FL in Apr. It's a large duffle bag and can be carried by the short handles (that would fit over my roll-a-board handle) or it also came with a detachable, adjustable, shoulder strap. I love it and can't wait to use it!

Edited by mousey

I have a Sherpani bag with that kind of flap on the back, but it's more of a lightweight briefcase than a bag for casual travel/vacations. I really like it though. Those flaps work much better than just looping the handles over -- the bag stays in place.

I also have a Baggallini cross-body large purse (or small tote, depending how you look at it) that has that kind of a flap. It's a little dressier looking; I used it for my week in Paris last year:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/hobo-tote/219225?productid=10266028

I have a KAVU crossbody bag I take with me on vacation. I use it as my day bag and can fit a good amount of items in it, as the inside is a bit bigger than it appears. In case I'm out shopping and pick up something extra, I also carry a small folding tote bag that doesn't take up hardly any room when folded. I've always felt secure with this bag and haven't had any problems.

Mine is this style, but the print is an old one they no longer carry. The website has a variety of styles and prints to suit your taste.

http://www.kavu.com/Category/72_1/Bags.aspx

878-14-_M.jpg

PS - If you have a Gabriel Brothers or a similar discount chain near you, you can usually find a variety of KAVU bags in retired or last season's prints for only $10 - $20. That's actually where I got mine and I paid $12 for it versus $40 online :)

Edited by iheartmarshall

I have a Sherpani bag with that kind of flap on the back, but it's more of a lightweight briefcase than a bag for casual travel/vacations. I really like it though. Those flaps work much better than just looping the handles over -- the bag stays in place.

I also have a Baggallini cross-body large purse (or small tote, depending how you look at it) that has that kind of a flap. It's a little dressier looking; I used it for my week in Paris last year:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/hobo-tote/219225?productid=10266028

I love that bag! I'm a sucker for hobo and bucket style bags. That's a real nice one you got.:D

Iheartmarshall, Those KAVU bags are so cute. I've never seen those before. Thanks for sharing!.:D

What do you need/want to carry on your excursion? If you're carrying a DSLR camera, consider the Lowepro Passport Sling camera bag -- good protection for your camera, comfortable over the shoulder or cross body strap (adjustable) and room for various other things like wallet, phone, sunglasses, water, etc.