Alaska 2015 May 22ND of June 5TH?

laurac22

Trying to decide which date to choose. I thought June 5TH might be a TINY bit further into the season, therefore not as much ice/bit warmerr? May 22ND is $400.00 per cabin cheaper...Whats your thoughts? I know Alaska is hard to predict, just based on your experience. Thanks

Trying to decide which date to choose. I thought June 5TH might be a TINY bit further into the season, therefore not as much ice/bit warmerr? May 22ND is $400.00 per cabin cheaper...Whats your thoughts? I know Alaska is hard to predict, just based on your experience. Thanks

Well clearly I would say 22nd May because I have booked that one but totally understand you wanting to book something a little further into the season!

Hope someone can provide better insight for you :)

Well clearly I would say 22nd May because I have booked that one but totally understand you wanting to book something a little further into the season!

Hope someone can provide better insight for you :)

LOL I just saw your post and responded on the RCCL forum. I just keep thinking...will 2 weeks make a $800.00 difference.

LOL I just saw your post and responded on the RCCL forum. I just keep thinking...will 2 weeks make a $800.00 difference.

I don't blame you for thinking that. We probably would have gone in June had it not been for my stepdads birthday and then after that the prices go up too much.

I guess with wildlife etc you just never know what it will do, regardless of when you go!

We have done May , June and August . In June we couldn't get close to Hubbard Glacier because of the ice . In May and August we where right up to the face at Hubbard Glacier. Our May cruise was warmer than June .

Weather/Temps are very unpredictable in Alaska . August would have more wildlife looking for food before winter.

I would go with May based on price . If you have never been in almost continuous daylight I would spend the amount and enjoy almost 24 hr daylight in June.

We have done May , June and August . In June we couldn't get close to Hubbard Glacier because of the ice . In May and August we where right up to the face at Hubbard Glacier. Our May cruise was warmer than June .

Weather/Temps are very unpredictable in Alaska . August would have more wildlife looking for food before winter.

I would go with May based on price . If you have never been in almost continuous daylight I would spend the amount and enjoy almost 24 hr daylight in June.

Thanks for your response!

I don't blame you for thinking that. We probably would have gone in June had it not been for my stepdads birthday and then after that the prices go up too much.

I guess with wildlife etc you just never know what it will do, regardless of when you go!

Jo,I guess so. I am driving myself nuts over all the decissions!! What side of the ship did you get?

Jo,I guess so. I am driving myself nuts over all the decissions!! What side of the ship did you get?

We went port side. We figured that whilst there will be land both sides of the ship most of the time, the mainland will be on the left on a southbound and that is where we wanted to be!

My mum and I decided that no matter what side of the ship we pick, it usually ends up being wrong!! If you go with that attitude, you will never be disappointed ;)

We went port side. We figured that whilst there will be land both sides of the ship most of the time, the mainland will be on the left on a southbound and that is where we wanted to be!

My mum and I decided that no matter what side of the ship we pick, it usually ends up being wrong!! If you go with that attitude, you will never be disappointed ;)

That is the side we chose. You are so right about picking the wrong side, we always seem to manage to get the "wrong"side. Although when your cruising can there really be a wrong side?

I am seriously thinking about changing to your cruise. I am waiting on the travel agent to call me back.

That is the side we chose. You are so right about picking the wrong side, we always seem to manage to get the "wrong"side. Although when your cruising can there really be a wrong side?

I am seriously thinking about changing to your cruise. I am waiting on the travel agent to call me back.

Well the roll call is up and running - me, mum and 1 other and you would be most welcome!

I think that there isn't much in the dates and you never know what is going to happen. Could the money you save go towards so extra special excursions!?

I agree, no 'wrong' side! I remember my first cruise we picked port side because as mum told me 'that is the side the ship docks on'... Bring on the cruise which docked starboard every time LOL! I laughed so hard and teased her every morning that we woke up, were docked and still looking out to sea!

Now we have the cruise pegged down, a rough idea on excursions, we just need to sort out our pre and post cruise bits.

We also went port side and had an amazing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, good to know :) I am just pleased I will be on the ship ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just a quick observation that May tends to be drier in SE Alaska than the other "cruise months." With the price difference, I would strongly consider the May cruise.

Well the roll call is up and running - me, mum and 1 other and you would be most welcome!

I think that there isn't much in the dates and you never know what is going to happen. Could the money you save go towards so extra special excursions!?

I agree, no 'wrong' side! I remember my first cruise we picked port side because as mum told me 'that is the side the ship docks on'... Bring on the cruise which docked starboard every time LOL! I laughed so hard and teased her every morning that we woke up, were docked and still looking out to sea!

Now we have the cruise pegged down, a rough idea on excursions, we just need to sort out our pre and post cruise bits.

Thanks for the invite:) Yes that money can definentley be spent on something else for sure! My TA called back, but I wasn't able to talk then. I have a hold for the May 22, so I'll call in the morning.

I find the snow on the mountains beautiful in May.

This is one of the other reasons I wanted

to go in May was to hopefully see more snow, so seeing this is lovely :)

Thanks for the invite:) Yes that money can definentley be spent on something else for sure! My TA called back, but I wasn't able to talk then. I have a hold for the May 22, so I'll call in the morning.

Hope you get on OK sorting everything out :)

Jo

Just a quick observation that May tends to be drier in SE Alaska than the other "cruise months." With the price difference, I would strongly consider the May cruise.

I didn't know this, hadn't really considered the weather other than I wanted to see snow on the mountains, so thank you for the information :)

if this is a RT cruise, I'd go with the earlier cruise due to the price difference.

If it's a one-way cruise and you have plans for land travel before or after, I'd go with the later date to ensure that sights/activities are open and accessible. ie the shuttle in Denali doesn't go to Eielson until around June 1, Wonder Lake around the 10th. Exit Glacier Visitor doesn't open until Memorial Day and even then there can be a lot of snow and slush at the parking lot and trailhead.

Because of our lack of snow this year, even in Denali, they are now planning to open the road a bit earlier than previous years...The bears are already roaming around, and I was at the visitors center about 3 weeks ago and saw a fox....so it is all about luck...:)

That is so true, you never know - animals and weather are never predictable!

Jo :)

I did a cruise tour at the end of August last year and it rained most of the time. It was also very cold.

Next year I'm going back around the Solstice and doing the land tour first. I want to experience the extended light. There's just no way of knowing what the weather holds. When we were in Denali, the sun was out and the Fall colors were absolutely beautiful. Going later in the year, I was so hoping to see the Northern Lights and there was a slight chance but I never got the call.

I can't wait to go back. It was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen.

That is so true, you never know - animals and weather are never predictable!

Jo, I ended up changing to the May 22nd Sailing. It was a coin flip and the $800.00 saving won out. As soon as I have time, I will come check out the roll call. Now to just sit and dream about our trip:)

Jo, I ended up changing to the May 22nd Sailing. It was a coin flip and the $800.00 saving won out. As soon as I have time, I will come check out the roll call. Now to just sit and dream about our trip:)

Oh well done! I think that saving will really come in useful for excursions etc :)

See you over on the roll call :D