Pinnacle Grills.....Changes? ....New Menus?

sail7seas

Would you like changes made to Pinnacle Menus? If you were asked for suggestions as to things you'd like to see added/removed, what would you respond?

Would you like different/more vegetable dishes?

Chicken dishes?

Onion rings/fries like served in Ruth's Chris and the like.

Eliminate what to make room for something else?

CHange nothing, unless you change everything. The menu is certainly varied enough for a fine restaurant. Adding more would not improve it and could cause problems in the kitchen (more deep fryers, more frozen junk).

That said, there's nothing wrong with changing to an Italian theme, a Vietnamese theme or some non-specific-country theme (Pan-Asian, Mediterranean, etc.).

Even better would be keeping the Pinnacle Grille and adding a second premium restaurant - and one that differes by ship: Pan-asian on the Westerdam, Italian on the Rotterdam, All-American Diner on the Zuiderdam, etc.

Even better would be keeping the Pinnacle Grille and adding a second premium restaurant - and one that differes by ship: Pan-asian on the Westerdam, Italian on the Rotterdam, All-American Diner on the Zuiderdam, etc.

I'd love that but I think there would be a serious risk of dminishing quality in the main dining room the more alternatives they offer.....especially the more revenue producing alternatives.

I'd love that but I think there would be a serious risk of dminishing quality in the main dining room the more alternatives they offer.....especially the more revenue producing alternatives.

THe secret is to cut the size of the DR to one level. Convert the upper level into either 1 or 2 specialty restaurants with a lower cover charge (say $10) and then you're offering up to 5 different venues:

1) Lido casual dining

2) Standard DR

3) Pan-Asian reservations-only ($10)

4) Pan-European reservations-only ($10)

5) The Pinnacle reservations-only ($20)

It would require some extensive behind-the-scenes work to outfit more kitchens but would attract more cruisers, I believe.

Even better, IMHO, is if you take #3 and #4 and vary them by ship - Japanese & Italian on one, North African & Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian on another, Chinese & French on yet another, etc.

Then folks could choose a ship based on itinerary, size or even cuisine! And by having the specialty restaurant chefs do shows in the Culinary Arts theaters, you attract those who want to learn different cooking styles.

Similar to the "Fitness passport", HAL could offer a "cuisine passport" - get it stamped in different specialty restaurants (on different ships) and earn prizes like a no-cover-charge meal, bottle of wine, free cooking lessons, etc. Not only would their be HAL Mariners, but HAL Gourmets!

THe secret is to cut the size of the DR to one level. Convert the upper level into either 1 or 2 specialty restaurants with a lower cover charge (say $10) and then you're offering up to 5 different venues:

1) Lido casual dining

2) Standard DR

3) Pan-Asian reservations-only ($10)

4) Pan-European reservations-only ($10)

5) The Pinnacle reservations-only ($20)

It would require some extensive behind-the-scenes work to outfit more kitchens but would attract more cruisers, I believe.

Even better, IMHO, is if you take #3 and #4 and vary them by ship - Japanese & Italian on one, North African & Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian on another, Chinese & French on yet another, etc.

Then folks could choose a ship based on itinerary, size or even cuisine! And by having the specialty restaurant chefs do shows in the Culinary Arts theaters, you attract those who want to learn different cooking styles.

Similar to the "Fitness passport", HAL could offer a "cuisine passport" - get it stamped in different specialty restaurants (on different ships) and earn prizes like a no-cover-charge meal, bottle of wine, free cooking lessons, etc. Not only would their be HAL Mariners, but HAL Gourmets!

I so love that whole concept. I won't hold my breath waiting for it but it sure sounds very appealing to me.

I think I would like a few more fish options. Also a chicken option as well. The sides are great as well as the soups and appetizers. Desserts are great if you can eat them after that fab meal!.. One thing I would like not related to the menu is dimmer more intimate lighting to make it more cozy and romantic. It is too bright, at least in the Zuiderdam and Westerdam. The old Marco Polo restaurants (I guess they are now Pinnacles as we haven't been on an S class ship in quite some time) had very nice lighting. Warm.

Personally, I like the menu the way it is. But, one change I would make would be to reduce the size of the portions--particularly the steaks. I hate to waste food and some of those steaks are just too large to consume and still have room for dessert.

very interesting and well articulated ideas...I second them wholeheartily!!! Hope HAL is monitoring this...Rkacruiser: As far as making the steaks smaller I know, from personal experience this spring, that u do get a choice at least on the size of one of the steaks already (I believe it's the filet) but good suggestion for the others and, I agree, lets extend that to all portions of everything..Very few folks I have talked to wld object and those that do cld simply order extra - HAL staff are very accomodating. Besides ladies usually eat less anyway - seems silly to serve a woman the same amt a man wld eat. In that way HAL cld save some $ with less wasted food and maybe keep quality up & perhaps even keep cruising fares 'level' for all to enjoy..What think?

Personally, I like the menu the way it is. But, one change I would make would be to reduce the size of the portions--particularly the steaks. I hate to waste food and some of those steaks are just too large to consume and still have room for dessert.

Thank you for saying that. I thought I was the only one. I simply don't have that big of an appetite and I hate to waste food. At home, I simply take my uneatened food home to enjoy another day, but onboard ship you can't do that.

I ate in the Pinnacle twice last summer, and told my waiter specifically to please give me a very petite cut of prime rib. Both times I ended up leaving over half of it. Such a waste in my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with the others that I don't always want a filet, but I also don't need to waste half of a massive Porterhouse or Rib-Eye (I feel so Fred Flintstone when that huge steak comes out) Maybe a nice mid-sized New York or a London Broil for two?

I'd like to see some tableside preparation like in the old days: traditional Caesar Salads prepared in large Olive Wood bowls, Steak Diane and Crepes Suzette saute'd tableside, the London Broil mentioned above carved tableside.

Ratatouille would make a nice healthy side dish that could also double as a main-course for vegetarian guests.

I love the creamed spinach, but I also very much enjoy a simple spinach saute'd w/ olive oil and garlic which could be presented beneath the steak.

A gratin of Brocolli would be a delicious side too.

...And of course, a greater variety of Champagnes!;)

Ratatouille would make a nice healthy side dish that could also double as a main-course for vegetarian guests.

I love the creamed spinach, but I also very much enjoy a simple spinach saute'd w/ olive oil and garlic which could be presented beneath the steak.

A gratin of Brocolli would be a delicious side too.

...And of course, a greater variety of Champagnes!;)

Brian....Great suggestions.

Yum.....Ratatouille. I love it. Simple spinach saute'd w/ olive oil and garlic......you know how to feed a girl! :)

Dave

I really like your ideas. I may not sail a ship SOLEY for its cuisine, but it would be really nice to have those options.

The Passport for Cuisine idea is very interesting too. You get to try different meals in different venues ,which is fun in itself , and if you get a littkle perk like a free dinner or a bottle of wine, so much the better.:)

Brian,

This turkey sandwich I am eating just ain't cuttin' it after the spread you just described *LOL*

babyher--

Don't feel bad - I don't eat like that every day...

Since I've been redecorating the apartment, there's been lots of delivery chinese food and pizza around here... :o

S7S--

Just lemme know, and I'll be there cooking for you and your DH too!

;)

I like Dave's ideas too - but I'd hate to have the HAL Dining Rooms chopped up - they are among the few elegant large dining rooms at sea. I'm hoping that the new "Vista-plus" ships will have the rooftop lounge and Asian restaurant like P&O Arcadia

I like Dave's ideas too - but I'd hate to have the HAL Dining Rooms chopped up - they are among the few elegant large dining rooms at sea. I'm hoping that the new "Vista-plus" ships will have the rooftop lounge and Asian restaurant like P&O Arcadia

Nooo! Not "chopped up," but elegantly divided :rolleyes: .

<eave the lower level as is, leave the stairway but use minimalist glass & basketweave at the rear of the upper level so that there are two "rooms":

SplitDR1.gif.e0a7b620e5be168f18fb6bfb40e1612f.gif

I'm wondering if the addition of Cedar Planked Scampi might be one reason no one reports lobster tails in the Pinnacle recently, though lobster never was on the permanent menu and was just a special.

The scampi are the size of lobster tails and are grilled on the cedar plank. There was a post on another thread about scampi swimming in butter. Pinnacle's scampi are not at all like the shrimp scampi preparation we are familiar with. These are true 'scampi' and are not sauteed in any fat. There is a ramekin of garlic butter sauce on the side, which of course can be ignored. Delicious. :)

S7S--

Just lemme know, and I'll be there cooking for you and your DH too!

;)

You're so sweet, Brian. Ya know what??? I really think you mean it. :)

I hope your kitchen renovation moves along smoothly and you can get back to enjoying cooking. Maybe you'll post some pics of it when it is finished?

I remember well the inconvenience we went through when we rebuilt our kitchen. :eek:

I'm still wondering if I am totally 'losing it' but do they /have they ever served prime rib in Pinnacle? I don't ever recall seeing it on the menu or seeing it served???

I'm still wondering if I am totally 'losing it' but do they /have they ever served prime rib in Pinnacle? I don't ever recall seeing it on the menu or seeing it served???

No you are not losing it, because when I saw that post where someone said they had Prime Rib, I thought "they don't serve PR in the Pinnacle" :confused: Having eaten there many times, I have never seen it. I think it's only on the menu in the dining room.

There is a Rib Steak - I wonder if they are getting this mixed up with Prime Rib.

You're so sweet, Brian. Ya know what??? I really think you mean it. :)

I hope your kitchen renovation moves along smoothly and you can get back to enjoying cooking. Maybe you'll post some pics of it when it is finished?

I remember well the inconvenience we went through when we rebuilt our kitchen. :eek:

Of course I do!

Anyone who thinks I'm still 30... ;)

My apartment is sort of a continual 'work-in-progress' - it takes up all the time and money that I don't devote to cruising... :cool:

Archived