COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

The hull of Regal Princess and the ship itself has actually already been 'blessed'. That occurred at the first ceremony when she was floated out last year, and the blessing was done by a priest. So that should ease some minds.

And her name is already painted on the hull. ;) So no worries there.

As others have indicated this has happened before: ships sailing with passengers for months before the official naming ceremony occurs. Although rare, it's not really 'unlucky'.

So. No worries.

:D

Thank you!! So appreciate your wealth of knowledge. Wish you were coming on OUR cruise (Aug 6 Venice to Barcelona).

Thank you!! So appreciate your wealth of knowledge. Wish you were coming on OUR cruise (Aug 6 Venice to Barcelona).

It's a team effort, as Ernie (eroller) and Andy (APH) have cited some fine examples within the Princess Cruises history when this has happened.

And I wish I could be on your Med cruise too, but my cat is going to kill me if I disappear again for that long! ;)

Grey Kitty

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/13737819215_2e432123dc_z.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

............... On the other hand, it is lucky to wear tattoos, to sail with a black cat onboard and to throw a pair of old shoes overboard when possible .........

........... And I wish I could be on your Med cruise too, but my cat is going to kill me if I disappear again for that long! ;)

Grey Kitty

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/13737819215_2e432123dc_z.jpg

Hi Dave - what a delightful picture of Grey Kitty. Maybe a quick dye job to turn her into Black Kitty, and she could be your sailing companion. ;) Kay

...We still have no confirmation of the other changes i.e. amid ship stairs above Deck 8 being refitted for passenger use or the opening up of be space behind the lifeboats for passenger access...
Additional information stated the Promenade deck is fully accessible on each side to allow for long strolls to enjoy the sea breezes, the water shows (Watercolor Fantasy) are in color and will have 4 different shows, MUTS is bigger, the Retreat pool area has been “enhanced” and the shows in the Princess Theatre will be “Fiera!,” “Bravo,” “Spectacular, and “Sweet Soul Music.”
Dave, I copied my post #427 above. There is a Princess Academy course for TAs that in part discusses differences between the Regal and the Royal. The information in that post was from that course. That appears to be confirmation of the accessibility of the Promenade deck behind the life boats :). No mention of the center stairway public access above the Promenade deck :( I wonder what the enhancement is to the Retreat Pool? The new "sail" in front to help block the wind?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Dave - what a delightful picture of Grey Kitty. Maybe a quick dye job to turn her into Black Kitty, and she could be your sailing companion. ;) Kay

Hi Kay,

Funny you should mention Black Kitty, as that was Grey Kitty's 'brother' when they were adopted as a pair from the local shelter. They would run through the apartment like inseparable best friends. Black Kitty went to kitty heaven in January 2013, and that's why I found it so hard to leave Grey Kitty this past December. After this one passes on, no more kitties for this old man.

Anyways, I heard cats really don't like water. At least not when you try to give them a bath!

Grey Kitty and Black Kitty enjoying the sunshine

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8556/8985339471_1615d56a6e_z.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Dave, I copied my post #427 above. There is a Princess Academy course for TAs that in part discusses differences between the Regal and the Royal. The information in that post was from that course. That appears to be confirmation of the accessibility of the Promenade deck behind the life boats :). No mention of the center stairway public access above the Promenade deck :( I wonder what the enhancement is to the Retreat Pool? The new "sail" in front to help block the wind?

Hi Brian,

THANKS for the reminder of your information source! I look forward to first impressions of the accessibility of the Promenade Deck, and hopefully we'll get pictures from those on the pre-inaugural or Maiden Voyage. And I think the enhancement to the Retreat Pool may very well be the addition of the wind break.

As always, and with the original Everything thread, we will learn so much 'after the fact' from those first passengers who will soon board the ship and will actually experience all that we have talked about. I look forward to hearing from them, and hope to have Live threads all summer long!

Edited by dmwnc1959

Bob, I may be fanning the flames myself... ;)

I have noticed that on this thread and others there are people that feel very passionate about the Royal, almost like it was a family member, and they don't tolerate dissenting views very well. They are fully entitled to their opinions of course but so are those that have concerns. The Regal shows various improvements over the Royal. Are these improvements the result of the complaints? Would they have been implemented if everyone had rated the Royal a 5+ ?

Too many people are confusing the fact that some people actually use the reviews to rate their overall experience, NOT the entire ship as a whole, or 'design faults' that did not affect them.

You missed the point. If no one had expressed any concerns and if everyone had rated the Royal a 5+ the impetus to make changes would not have been there. Instead, with the Royal at 65% approval, the lowest of the fleet, you can bet the execs at Santa Clarita are paying attention, whether it is for the Regal or for future designs.

Regarding the justification some use for a 5+ rating, everyone is free to write a review as they wish however most people, whether they are reviewing the Royal, the Allure, or the Reflection, write a review of the ship, not their overall vacation.

Thank you for your Regal updates and pictures.

Oh Dear! This is not good. Even the old sailors in wooden boats with sails had their superstitions. Going out on an un-Christened ship is scary.:(

Don't worry, she has been christened I watched the ceremony myself on youtube.

Not that I have any such worries myself but for those who do, watch the ceremony on youtube and you will see she has had her blessing.

Don't worry, she has been christened I watched the ceremony myself on youtube.

Not that I have any such worries myself but for those who do, watch the ceremony on youtube and you will see she has had her blessing.

Was she just chrisened recently? Because if it is an older video I beleive that is the float out which is different than the official christening. The royal had this as well. Victoria Nash was the madrina of the float out and duchess kate is the official godmother of the Royal. For the Regal we know the CC editor Carolyn Spencer is the Regal's madrina of the float out and still waiting to hear who the official Godmother is.

Some updated information on Regal Princess from Marine Traffic:

- registry has been changed from Italy to Bermuda

- now has a designated Call Sign

- departure for Trieste listed

13907739398_aa8b5010fb.jpg

13907739418_56d223a85c_n.jpg

13907739438_0f61417d5d.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

9 Days until Regal Princess is officially handed over at Monfalcone (May 15, 2014)

10 Days until her 4-night Pre-inaugural from Trieste (May 16, 2014)

14 Days until she arrives in Venice for her Maiden Voyage (May 20, 2014)

181 Days until the inaugural US arrival in Fort Lauderdale (Nov. 3, 2014)

257 Days until she is reunited with her sister Royal Princess (Jan. 18, 2015)

I did find one picture from Regal Princess (sadly it's badly out of focus) showing the art sculpture in the mini-piazza of the Passenger Services Desk. This view is looking forward towards the Shore Excursion Desk...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/beha5ete.jpg

And a few more rough 'snapshots', not very revealing...

Area outside of Sabatini's

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/rebahuzu.jpg

Inside Sabatini's

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/agaruvy8.jpg

Wheelhouse Bar and Crown Grill

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/ahy8uteg.jpg

I also saw a 'selfie' taken in the atrium that shows the floor medallion and overhead light feature are the same as on Royal Princess

http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/detail/713140651776744414_267580709

Atrium

http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/detail/713135473883290430_267580709

I imagine the interior of Regal Princess will be quite similar to and as elegant as Royal Princess, but the art will of course be different in the stairwells, public areas, and passenger hallways.

Hi Dave - thank you so much for posting these - great shots.

Question for anyone who has been in a stateroom under the SeaView Bar:

Did it seem "dark or shadowy" on the balcony?

On the Royal we were on the Starboard side under the SeaWalk, but the sunlight could shine down through the opening. It just occurred to me that being on the Port side puts you under a large "saucer" protruding over your balcony and several of the photos show the balconies in shadow, depending on the location of the sun. Our stateroom is on Baja.

Just curious. Thanks - Kay

It looks like someone has installed some art at the Retreat pool.

[url= image]

Try this...

I don't get it. :confused:

Do you mean the new covering over the bar or the crane in the background. :confused: