Great webpage regarding Noro and Hand Sanitizer Brands

CHAMPDDS

There is no immunity to Norovirus. I also haven't had it even though a local private school was shut down last year for a couple of days. Whether that was due to good hand washing or luck, who knows. Even on a ship's closed environment, a significant portion of folks are not infected but again, luck, hygiene or the ship's response, who knows.

You can develop immunity to viruses, can't you? That's the point of a flu jab, to develop your immunity. And with flu, some people are more vulnerable and are targeted to have the jab, some are not. Some people get colds and flu every year, some don't -or else get them in much milder form. Doesn't noro work that way?

You can develop immunity to viruses, can't you? That's the point of a flu jab, to develop your immunity. And with flu, some people are more vulnerable and are targeted to have the jab, some are not. Some people get colds and flu every year, some don't -or else get them in much milder form. Doesn't noro work that way?
Immunity

Since there are many different types of noroviruses, people can get infected many times during their lifetime. It is possible to develop immunity to specific types. But, it is not known how long immunity lasts. This may explain why so many people of all ages get infected during norovirus outbreaks. Also, whether someone is susceptible to norovirus infection or not may be determined in part by his or her genes.

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/hcp/clinical-overview.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/flu/in-depth/flu-shots/ART-20048000

Viruses change rapidly. That is why there is not a cure for the common cold. Since there is no cure, prevention is the best defense. For the average, healthy adult, a cold or a bout with a Norovirus (not The Norovirus since the virus changes) is an unpleasant interruption in your life, there are folks who are very vulnerable to serious complications from a Norovirus or the flu. So, prevention and reducing the spread of these viruses is the best we can do.

From the article-

Why do I need to get vaccinated every year?

New flu vaccines are released every year to keep up with rapidly adapting flu viruses. Because flu viruses evolve so quickly, last year's vaccine may not protect you from this year's viruses.

After vaccination, your immune system produces antibodies that will protect you from the vaccine viruses. In general, though, antibody levels start to decline over time — another reason to get a flu shot every year

But my point wasn't that I think I'm immune to norovirus. My point is that people who live in an antiseptic bubble, or at least have as little contact with bugs and germs as they can manage, have less effective immune systems for dealing with viruses, compared with people who have "eaten their peck of dirt". Give your immune system work to do when it's quiet and it'll be more ready to go when the big stuff comes along. All else being equal, of course.

(I know someone who did live in an antiseptic bubble. His mother kept the house squeaky clean and wold never let him crawl on anyone else's floor, she kept him germ-free until he was 4. Then he went to school, but not very often - he was forever off sick.)

But my point wasn't that I think I'm immune to norovirus. My point is that people who live in an antiseptic bubble, or at least have as little contact with bugs and germs as they can manage, have less effective immune systems for dealing with viruses, compared with people who have "eaten their peck of dirt". Give your immune system work to do when it's quiet and it'll be more ready to go when the big stuff comes along. All else being equal, of course.

(I know someone who did live in an antiseptic bubble. His mother kept the house squeaky clean and wold never let him crawl on anyone else's floor, she kept him germ-free until he was 4. Then he went to school, but not very often - he was forever off sick.)

There are very few who live in this kind of bubble and yes, they may have weaker immune systems. Except when it comes to the ever changing Noroviruses and flu viruses, we are all equal. You might have been knocked on your keister five years ago with the H1N1 2009 flu version but unless that very specific virus shows up again, you will be sicken again if you are exposed. If the 2014 flu has a piece of that 2009 flu, you might not get hit as hard as someone who didn't but you will get sick.