Military Discount

mjwcruising

In the past one of the qualifying factors for a military rate was:

“3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.”

Now I notice the requirement states:

“Is an active or retired member of the U.S. Military or Canadian forces

A valid US or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for any applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.”

There is no mention of a Veteran discount. Do veterans no longer get the discount when a military rate if offered or am I missing something?

In the past one of the qualifying factors for a military rate was:

“3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.”

Now I notice the requirement states:

“Is an active or retired member of the U.S. Military or Canadian forces

A valid US or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for any applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.”

There is no mention of a Veteran discount. Do veterans no longer get the discount when a military rate if offered or am I missing something?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but I want to say that I think Veterans should get a discount, even larger than 10% off. NCL are you listening? I would also like to thank you for your service to the USA…

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but I want to say that I think Veterans should get a discount, even larger than 10% off. NCL are you listening? I would also like to thank you for your service to the USA…

I will relay your thank you to my hubby...he is the veteran ;)

I noticed that too. I just upgraded today on a cruise that offered the military discount, and my TA told me to make sure I bring my DD-214 to the pier to check in, which implies prior military service only, because you don't need a DD-214 if you have a retired or active ID card. :confused:

I've been on 4-5 cruises where I got the Military discount and have yet to be asked to provide an ID or DD-214. Most of them have been out of European ports where they probably wouldn't know what a DD-214 looked like or how to read one. :rolleyes:

I noticed that too. I just upgraded today on a cruise that offered the military discount, and my TA told me to make sure I bring my DD-214 to the pier to check in, which implies prior military service only, because you don't need a DD-214 if you have a retired or active ID card. :confused:

I've been on 4-5 cruises where I got the Military discount and have yet to be asked to provide an ID or DD-214. Most of them have been out of European ports where they probably wouldn't know what a DD-214 looked like or how to read one. :rolleyes:

We have taken a copy of hubby's DD214 on previous cruises when we rec'd a military rate but I don't believe he ever had to show it.

Are you saying veterans still get the discount even though the website doesn't mention veterans? I certainly hope this is the case.

Edited by mjwcruising

We have taken a copy of hubby's DD214 on previous cruises when we rec'd a military rate but I don't believe he ever had to show it.

Are you saying veterans still get the discount even though the website doesn't mention veterans? I certainly hope this is the case.

I would think so, but I would call the Captain's Club just to verify.

I would think so, but I would call the Captain's Club just to verify.

Customer Service with Celebrity phone calls isn't too dependable. I usually call Captain's club when making changes or inquiries, hopefully they will have the correct answer on this one.

I did send Celebrity an e-mail to captainsclub@celebritycruises.com on the 14th but they have not responded yet and now the military rate for the particular cruise I was interested in no longer longer has that discount. :(

I figure I might as well find out the answer anyway should the opportunity arises again.

Royal Carib website still shows the definition for mil discount that includes 2+ yrs with honorable discharge with 6 mos in combat zone with DD214 proof so I'm hoping that the recent description on Celebrity that does not address that qualification is an oversight. :eek:

I think everyone is making this more complicated than it is: retired military=veteran :cool:

Yes, but veteran =/= retired military. To be retired military generally means having served 20+ years. For example, my grandfather, father and husband have all served in the military. My grandfather served for 20+ years and retired. He had a retired ID card for the rest of his life. My father served for 6 years. He is a veteran, but not retired military. He doesn't have an ID card, but does have a DD-214. My husband is currently active duty Army. He has an active duty ID card. Clearly, my grandfather, if he were still alive, and my husband would qualify for Celebrity's military rate. The question is, would my dad? He is a veteran but not retired military.

I would hope this change is an example of civilians not understanding military terminology and thinking, for example, that anyone who has been in the military but is no longer active duty is considered retired.

I would hope this change is an example of civilians not understanding military terminology and thinking, for example, that anyone who has been in the military but is no longer active duty is considered retired.

Yes and the same terminology is used for the law enforcement/EMS discount.

I think everyone is making this more complicated than it is: retired military=veteran :cool:

Retired military does = veteran but veteran does not = retired military and I am wondering if my husband who is a veteran would get the military rate.

runningaway2 explained it quite well.

not all veterans are retired. my stepson is a veteran. he only did 5 years AD.

only Retirees get an ID Card. veterans do not.

as to whether or not (just)veterans are entitled to it.. well my personal feeling is.. do EX teachers or EX firefighters get the discount when offered? do EX residents of a state get a discount?

regardless the discounts are few and far between and I have yet to be able to partake for our chosen cruises anyway so it is not like the odds are ever in your favor.

Wording is everything!

Retired medically or served 20 years, grants the ID card. My husband is medically retired after being wounded in Vietnam and we both have ID cards.

If you are "retired" from active duty, under 20 years, you do not get the card.

Celebrity should clarify this.

I think I might send them an e-mail also. Of course our TA is wonderful and picks up on this every time. We carry a copy of his DD214 with our passports, just in case. Just like making that color copy of our passport page with our info, they remain with us during the entire time we are away and go back in the safe when we return.

Makes life really easy.

Pat C

I made sure that my husband and dad had their military ids out. They are both retired from the Air National Guard. This was the only time that we were asked for military ids to substantiate the great 15% off that Celebrity gave us and the guy barely glanced at it. They had something that looked military and it was ok with him. I think that the policy was written by someone who is non military and was not really thinking because I am certain that they intend that veterans of wars, no matter the length of their service, to get a discount.

Be sure to watch for discounts on Veteran's day weekend next year and possibly other holidays like 4th of July, etc. 15% was super!

My TA told me just to bring a copy of my DD214 to the pieir when we board in Seattle. My reciept from TA shows a sizable discount for our cruise.I told the TA I was drafted and served two years in the Army and he said I was eligable as long as I had a honorable discharge.

J.

I posted the same question on the board when we were booking our last cruise sometime in September. Celebrity responded on the board. They said that veterans are included in military rates and promotions despite what their website indicates. They also stated that they were working on the website and would clarify this when they implemented the fix. We were able to get the military rate with no problem.

not all veterans are retired. my stepson is a veteran. he only did 5 years AD.

only Retirees get an ID Card. veterans do not.

as to whether or not (just)veterans are entitled to it.. well my personal feeling is.. do EX teachers or EX firefighters get the discount when offered? do EX residents of a state get a discount?

regardless the discounts are few and far between and I have yet to be able to partake for our chosen cruises anyway so it is not like the odds are ever in your favor.

Spookwife: My personal opinion is that if you were willing to put your life on the line at ANY point and you did not get dishonorably discharged from military service, police service, fire service and you have proof that you did these jobs- then you should be able to get the discount if you have the required paperwork. I am especially passionate about the military provisions.

I have numerous friends who have had to get out after service related injuries who have not yet received all of their appropriate paperwork for being medically retired. I don't know completely how that works even. But if you were a military member who was willing to go out and take a chance that you might have a limb blown off- then just because you don't have a "retired" ID card should not mean you can't get a discount. My husband retired and is perfectly fine health wise, but he has friends who had to get out early for service related injuries- amputations and such. Who deserves the discount? Not sure, by your logic.

Same here, we always have our ID cards on us anyways, but we have never been asked to show them at check it. I hate that they cannot be combined with the 123 offer. When I booked our upcoming cruise there was $440.00 off our room rate for military, but I had to choose between the 123 offer or the military rate, :-( of course the 123 was the better deal so I went with it.

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser