Renting an apartment vs. hotel in Rome (4 days)

cpl100

I've often seen mention of people renting apartments in Rome rather than hotels. We are one couple. Do most people rent them because they have more people and want to stay together, for better price or kitchen facilities, or ????

For those who have rented apartments, do they come with linens? What would you say are the pros and cons in taking this option? And how would I find a reputable rental agent or source?

Any other information you care to share would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much!

I always rent apartments when staying for more than a few days, even when traveling alone. I do it because I like having more room to spread out and I like the ability to "eat in" sometimes. I find it wearing to eat three meals a day in restaurants; often after a long day of touring I just want to sit in my sweats and eat in front of the TV.

Yes, linens and towels are provided.

As for reputable agents, I look for multiple sources of recommendations. I used to use the Slowtravel web site and their messages boards for recommendations but there hasn't been as much activity over there in the past few years so many of the recommendations are older. You can get good names of rental companies there, however: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/

I agree with Euro Cruiser that having an apartment has benefits for all travelers!

If you research carefully you might even find an apartment with a washer/dryer, which would be useful. A terrace is also a plus and easier to come by for less money in an apartment rental vs. hotel. We've booked through HomeAway & VRBO. I strongly recommend you stay in the Centro Storico or Trastavere.

I don't know the name of the apartment our cruise critic friends stayed at in June 2012, but it was affiliated with a hotel and just down the street from ours on Via Guilia.

Edited by TMLAalum

We did the apartment choice precruise last fall. Fabulous. We were with another couple, so this put some limits on our choices because of numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms we wanted. We had a terrace, which was lovely, enough room to enjoy, and most important we were right in the centre of things off the piazza Barberini. We were able to walk virtually everywhere we wanted. Would highly recommend VRBO as a source, but would also warn you do need to do your research carefully to avoid extra costs for things like cleaning and internet, and occasionally air conditioning. We would absolutely make this choice again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are a couple who have also rented apartments….in Rome and many other locations !!!! We stay in hotels too but it just depends on how long and where.

We have stayed in apartments twice while in Rome.

We like having the extra room, a kitchen for breakfast or snacks and the feeling of "living like a local" :)

We have used VRBO and SleepinItalty in Rome but there are others such as Cyberrentals and Homeway that we have used in other countries.

We have had wonderful results but yes you must ask questions to know exactly what you are getting. We have found that many will even stock basics in the kitchen for you (but not all) and most will have a binder with TONS of information about the area, including restaurants, where to grocery shop, emergency info, maps, sightseeing info with what and hours of operation. We always find this helpful.

Last but not least, you WILL save money over a hotel by staying in an apt.

We prefer the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area but other areas are the Trevi or Spanish steps area that are nice too.

Look around - find a few that appeal to you and then contact the rental management company or the owner and ask questions….. and have fun finding the perfect apartment for you :D

I stayed in an apt in Rome (Piazza Navona area) 3yrs ago and have reserved the same apt for my trip this Oct. Love having the room (the hotel rooms in Europe are soo small!) and having a kitchen for breakfast, coffee, snacks, etc. I have used http://www.vrbo.com both for the Rome apt and for rentals here in the US.

Have a great trip!

I've often seen mention of people renting apartments in Rome rather than hotels. We are one couple. Do most people rent them because they have more people and want to stay together, for better price or kitchen facilities, or ????

For those who have rented apartments, do they come with linens? What would you say are the pros and cons in taking this option? And how would I find a reputable rental agent or source?

Any other information you care to share would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much!

This is the only way to spend 3 to 4 nights in Rome. Was there in Nov for 3 night in a beautiful apartment that had everything. Was in a great location 2 blocks from Campo Di Fiori. Was able to walk to all the sites. If you want info on the one I rented email MRSERENITY1990@HOTMAIL.COM and ill get you some info. I renting it again next your for a Sep 2015 Med cruise. Larry

This is the only way to spend 3 to 4 nights in Rome. Was there in Nov for 3 night in a beautiful apartment that had everything. Was in a great location 2 blocks from Campo Di Fiori. Was able to walk to all the sites. If you want info on the one I rented email MRSERENITY1990@HOTMAIL.COM and ill get you some info. I renting it again next your for a Sep 2015 Med cruise. Larry

While apartments are indeed a great option, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are the ONLY way to spend time in Rome. You can also find hotels in great locations. Perhaps because I don't spend much time in either an apartment or a hotel, I don't miss the extra space. And while I'm mostly content to eat out while in Rome, I've also been known to "bring in" some food for a meal in my hotel room from time to time.

I suppose I also feel just as much a local when I'm walking around in Rome whether I stay in a hotel or an apartment!