Lost Fujifilm camera in Grand Cayman February 12, 2014

maritimer2

My friends lost there camera while in grand cayman last week. It was late in the day and most ships had already left. We were on the Silhouette. They think it fell out of there bag between the Tikiki beach bar, possibly a taxi or jewellery store in Georgetown. If anyone has seen or heard about this please let me know. Thanks

My friends lost there camera while in grand cayman last week. It was late in the day and most ships had already left. We were on the Silhouette. They think it fell out of there bag between the Tikiki beach bar, possibly a taxi or jewellery store in Georgetown. If anyone has seen or heard about this please let me know. Thanks

The odds of recovering their camera are slim to none. I sure hope that they backed up their pictures on a daily basis so that they have most of the pictures from their trip. Most people do not bother to we ever back up their pictures.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

How would you backup pics from a digital camera while on a cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take my netbook and transfer my pics at the end of every day. Then I back them up from the netbook to a portable hard drive. I take LOTS of photos and don't want to risk losing them. It not only protects my once in a lifetime visit photos but allows me to keep them categorized - a file for each day.

Wish you luck in getting the camera back. But the chances are very slim.

I take my netbook and transfer my pics at the end of every day. Then I back them up from the netbook to a portable hard drive. I take LOTS of photos and don't want to risk losing them. It not only protects my once in a lifetime visit photos but allows me to keep them categorized - a file for each day.

I no longer take a laptop with me on cruises.

Instead I have a bunch of chips and use each one for a couple of days.

I was going to take the Canon D10, my iphone and that's it. I've got a usb drive I backup my photos at home on, but I don't have an interface from the camera to usb drive.

On the ship's computers available to use, do they have usb ports? I wonder if I could cable my camera to the computer and upload my photos daily to flickr and to the usb drive.

Great minds think alike. The only additional things that I do is that I backup to a hard drive and a flash drive. When we pack, my wife carries the flash drive in her carry on, the hard drive and the tablet (I use a tablet instead of a netbook) goes in my carry on.

DON

I was going to take the Canon D10, my iphone and that's it. I've got a usb drive I backup my photos at home on, but I don't have an interface from the camera to usb drive.

On the ship's computers available to use, do they have usb ports? I wonder if I could cable my camera to the computer and upload my photos daily to flickr and to the usb drive.

No. Basically you can not connect anything to a ship computer. Can you imagine how quickly the ship computers would be infected with viruses or malware if they allowed it. Also, upload speeds are very slow on a ship.

DON

For your Canon, take a bunch of memory cards and swap them out, so that you won't lose all of your photos if something happens to your camera or the card that's in it. (The general advice above to do this is excellent and it's what I do, even when I have a netbook or laptop along for backing up my photos.)

As for the iPhone, I imagine if you were using this a good bit and had important pictures on it from the trip that you did not want to risk losing, you could make sure your iCloud photo stream is doing backups during the trip. This requires Wi-Fi. You could try to find free Wi-Fi on shore, or pay for it on the ship. Again, depends on how important the photos are to you.

OP: all the best to your friends, I hope they get their camera back.

I no longer take a laptop with me on cruises.

Instead I have a bunch of chips and use each one for a couple of days.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I have lots of chips lying around and I never thought to take them on a cruise before, but now I will. :)