Another sexual assault reported - Carnival Victory

Gypsywych

This was in the local news today. I think the media is fishing for any story they can dig up, after what happened on HAL last week.

This particular incident took place in May 2013. The article doesn't mention Carnival by name, but does mention Freeport, and Port Canaveral, and the only cruise ship with both ports in 2014 is the Carnival Sensation. Do you CC Carnival folks know if that ship did the same itinerary last year? At any rate, I know we're not supposed to ever blame the victim but sheesh!

http://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/utsa-student-sexually-assaulted-during-cruise-vacation/-/478436/24606872/-/naxtorz/-/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

This is horrible but this girl cant even remember how she got there she needs to accept some respinsibilty for her bad choices and poor self control when it comes to drinking .Not that I in anyway feel she deserved this ...its awful

I agree.... could not have said it better!

Easy to blame a victim. Someday it might be a family member, then it will be a different story.

Well, I wouldn't let a female family member or friend drink herself into oblivion and then go off with any guy who's not with our group. It's called "looking out for each other".

Sorry to hear about this woman's ordeal, but there are two sides to every story and I'd like to hear one without the tabloid media presenting it.

No one here is blaming the victim. No should always mean no and no one ever has the right to violate another human being like that. Most here are just using the incident to remind others to take care of themselves.

I'm probably the only one here who is wondering at the timing and yes... odd facts in the article. I'm not saying it's untrue, just odd.

I'm just going to point out that the first link is to a website that is operated by a lawyer who makes his living pursuing cases against cruiselines. He typically posts anything that puts the cruiselines in a bad light. And frequently brings up "old" cases.

Not saying that this situation didn't happen, just pointing out that some people like to sue anyone they can.

Edited by Shmoo here

Looks like the authorities including the FBI decided not to prosecute. Case should be old news by now and done and over with.

Never understood the getting "wasted" part of cruising. What's the point? There has to come a time when people need to take responsibility for their actions. Getting that trashed and winding up in ANYBODY'S room other than your own (or passed out in the hall, etc), is, sadly, only your own fault. It's no different than doing stupid things such as getting behind the wheel drunk. Know when to say when and don't put yourself in that situation.

Sucks for the young lady involved and I wouldn't wish that on anyone because it's something she has to live with for the rest of her life.

I'm in no way saying she deserved it. Simply saying that she did not have to have that happen. And for the record, I would feel the same if it was a family member or even myself. I would be crying my eyes out too knowing how stupid I was for letting it get to that point. The difference is I wouldn't have a lawyer trying to milk some cash out of the cruise line. Then again, I sure would like to not have to work for he rest of my life.......:rolleyes:

It's OK if you don't agree with me, you don't have to. I'm a no BS type of person and say it like I see it.

This was in the local news today. I think the media is fishing for any story they can dig up, after what happened on HAL last week.

This particular incident took place in May 2013. The article doesn't mention Carnival by name, but does mention Freeport, and Port Canaveral, and the only cruise ship with both ports in 2014 is the Carnival Sensation. Do you CC Carnival folks know if that ship did the same itinerary last year? At any rate, I know we're not supposed to ever blame the victim but sheesh!

http://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/utsa-student-sexually-assaulted-during-cruise-vacation/-/478436/24606872/-/naxtorz/-/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I'm from San Antonio ... I had read this earier. So...you're in a strange country drunk, you go off with a strange man to a dark area to buy drugs, and are surprised when something bad happens?

I was SMH at this one today.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

Edited by christyran1228

Maybe instead of blaming the victim, we should teach men not to rape women regardless of what state of mind they're in. Whether they're black out drunk let completely sober, they have no right to sexually assault anyone.

Well said??? For goodness sake, it is a completely trivial comment to which no one would disagree.

I do wonder, though, that no one is even considering the possibility the young lady was drugged. Of course, it would be complete speculation, but so is the assumption that the lady chose to overdrink, since the appearance in both cases would be quite the same.

Am I blaming her for being raped? No. But I will blame her for putting herself in that situation.

I had a wonderful father. He was the best and to this day I remember a lot of the life lessons he taught me.

1. Don't ever put yourself in a situation where there are multiple men and you are the only female.

2. Drinking is fine. But not to excess that you can not make you own decisions.

3. Never drink anything that was not handed to you by the bartender and do not leave your drink unattended.

All the above can only lead to problems. And I have a son and yes I teach him the importance to respecting people and not to take advantage of any situation.

I am sorry that this girl did not have a friend or family member onboard looking out for her.

That is right never blame the victim. How do you know they didn't put a drug in her drink? I am sure she did not agree to be gang raped.

Maybe instead of blaming the victim, we should teach men not to rape women regardless of what state of mind they're in. Whether they're black out drunk let completely sober, they have no right to sexually assault anyone.

True. And we also have to stop women from crying rape when it's consensual and then they have regrets later. Not saying that's what happened here, but you never know.

I always find it odd that even though this happens so much on land the ones on ships make more news.

Yes she made poor choices but the real blame is the guy who did it to her and where ever he got his twisted ideas from.

Just because a girl goes back with a guy for whatever reason it does not mean she is up for it or deserves it.

Yep, I suggest you start that teaching today.