Luggage for formal clothes

JustJamie0418

I have a garment bag that I've used before. But usually , I put them in dry cleaner bags and fold on top of my other clothes that I've rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them on hangers, with dry cleaning bags over them. Only difference is I put therm in first, hanging over the edges, then put in the rest of the clothes, then fold the hangover around the clothes. If I can find my more detailed post (without the search feature) I'll post a link to it.

My mom's best friend owned dry cleaning shops and taught her this way, and she taught me. My clothes always come out of the suitcase wrinkle-free.

Hang what clothes you can on hangers. This trip I'm using both the flocked skinny hangers and women' suit hangers. Hang multiple items on each one. For instance I have a formal dress hanging over a more casual dress. I have two sparkly tops, one over the other, and two pair of dressy pants on one suit hanger. If you have something that wrinkles especially easily, put a dry cleaning bag over the hanger, then the garment over the bag, or decide to leave it home.

Divide your loaded hangers into three groups by length. Put a dry cleaning bag over each group of hangers. Then starting with the longest one lay it in your suitcase with the bottom edge of the longest garment right at the edge of the suitcase. Gently fit it into the suitcase, leaving the hanger end hanging over the other side. Take the next longest bundle and lay it in the opposite direction with the bottom edge of the garment against the previous bundle. Do the same with the last group, again switching directions.

Then pack shirts, underwear, etc in ziplock bags (several per bag) and seal them, squeezing as much air as possible. Arrange these bags over the clothes on hangers. Now lay the hangers back over the ziplock bags, alternating shortest to longest. If using a clamshell type suitcase, put your shoes, toiletries, etc. in the other half. Otherwise tuck them around the edges.

I've done this for years and have packed my suitcase stuffed tight. When I get to the ship I put the bagged items in drawers and just hang up the hanger items and I'm unpacked.

This sounds way more complicated than it is. It packs up fast, both at home and when it's time to pack up to come home.

My mom's best friend owned dry cleaning shops and taught her this way, and she taught me. My clothes always come out of the suitcase wrinkle-free.

Hang what clothes you can on hangers. This trip I'm using both the flocked skinny hangers and women' suit hangers. Hang multiple items on each one. For instance I have a formal dress hanging over a more casual dress. I have two sparkly tops, one over the other, and two pair of dressy pants on one suit hanger. If you have something that wrinkles especially easily, put a dry cleaning bag over the hanger, then the garment over the bag, or decide to leave it home.

Divide your loaded hangers into three groups by length. Put a dry cleaning bag over each group of hangers. Then starting with the longest one lay it in your suitcase with the bottom edge of the longest garment right at the edge of the suitcase. Gently fit it into the suitcase, leaving the hanger end hanging over the other side. Take the next longest bundle and lay it in the opposite direction with the bottom edge of the garment against the previous bundle. Do the same with the last group, again switching directions.

Then pack shirts, underwear, etc in ziplock bags (several per bag) and seal them, squeezing as much air as possible. Arrange these bags over the clothes on hangers. Now lay the hangers back over the ziplock bags, alternating shortest to longest. If using a clamshell type suitcase, put your shoes, toiletries, etc. in the other half. Otherwise tuck them around the edges.

I've done this for years and have packed my suitcase stuffed tight. When I get to the ship I put the bagged items in drawers and just hang up the hanger items and I'm unpacked.

This sounds way more complicated than it is. It packs up fast, both at home and when it's time to pack up to come home.

Wow Amy, that is exactly what I do! All my formals and cocktail dresses come out wrinkle free. To me, it's worth a little extra effort at home so I don't have to send things out to get pressed. Walt also does this now with his tux. :D

Lisa

I have a garment bag that I've used before. But usually , I put them in dry cleaner bags and fold on top of my other clothes that I've rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do the same, garment bag and plastic dry cleaner bags

I do find my floor length beaded gowns, although heavy, they don't show wrinkles :) We have never had a garment bag weighed at the airport so I put my heavy dresses in there.

We use a rolling garment bag and dry cleaner bags for anything that will be hung in the closet. Jackets & slacks go in first. Then my dresses & skirts. Next DH's shirts and my tops. I roll up t-shirts and put them across the bag where the dresses will be creased. Makes unpacking very quick, nothing to put on hangers.

Mary Lou

I love the "bundle" method, too! Depending on the size of bag, I either put the most wrinkle-resistant things in the middle or shoes/toiletries. Think of it this way - the things on the outside are on the outside of a big roll so they aren't getting wrinkled. I also find it helps to pack the bag full enough so things aren't sloshing around but not so full that you're cramming and forcing wrinkles on stuff.

i have a garment bag that i've used before. But usually , i put them in dry cleaner bags and fold on top of my other clothes that i've rolled.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

That's exactly what I do.:) The air in the plastic bags cuts down on wrinkles. If need be, you can always have your clothes pressed by the staff. My tip is send your stuff out the first night of your cruise because on formal night way too many people do this.

Edited by mousey