Do you sleep with your balcony door open?

towel-animal

I do for the most part I always have a suite. The only time I did have a problem was several years ago when a rouge wave hit the Dawn. I was not on that sailing but a month later when two officers came to my suite and posted a notice that the bulkhead door was only to be open while in port I was in the front of ship and we did have waves hit out bulkhead located on the 9th floor.

Once we got to the caribbean left this door open and loved it

Have my first balcony cabin cruise coming up, and just curious if it's nice and relaxing to sleep with the door open? Can you hear the waves? Or will it get too cold?

I don't.

I've heard people say that it's nice to do so if your cabin is aft, with the sound of the wake. Whether you will hear the waves depends a bit on where you are. If you're up on deck 16 then you're quite a way above the waves. Deck 8 is a different matter. Having said that, I do like the sound of the waves from the balcony on deck 13 of the Epic.

As for whether it's too cold, I suppose that depends on where you are. You wouldn't want your door open on a Transatlantic in April, but the Caribbean or Med in August is a different matter. Perhaps then the problem would be that you wouldn't be getting the effect of the air conditioning.

Edited by KeithJenner

We enjoy having the balcony door open at night in good weather, very peaceful and relaxing. The only problem we have ever had is when the lights are left on outside on the balcony or balconies beside us. Then the cabin is too bright and we close the balcony and pull the drapes.

Hope you have a great cruise!

It depends on when and where you are cruising to.

Since we cruise during the summer, no, we do not leave our balcony door open at night. It's usually too hot. We need the air conditioning to remain on in order to have the cabin temp comfortable enough for sleeping.

I do love my balconies, though!! Yes, you can always hear the waves while sailing!!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

I've always heard leaving it open affects the temperature in the surrounding cabins, but I'll admit to doing it. I do NOT recommend leaving it open after dark with the lights on if the ship isn't moving. We did once n Cabo and a swarm of little black bugs flew in. One bit my hubby on his bare butt when he sat on it !!!

I don't. If gets too humid for us. We try to sleep with the curtains drawn though. I enjoy opening my eyes and seeing out. Only one cruise was this spoiled by inconsiderate neighbors who insisted on keeping their balcony light on all night. This made it too bright in our cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did when I was on the Jewel in an Aft Penthouse. It was peaceful until the crew washes the decks off the back of the ship and water came crashing down onto the balcony and scared the day lights out of us at 3am lol

We tried it on the Breakaway but it got too hot in the cabin bc the balcony door controls the air conditioner and we had to keep the door closed to keep the cabin cool.

I do like the sound of the waves from the balcony on deck 13 of the Epic.

I'm on Deck 12, so I think it will probably be nice!

I do NOT recommend leaving it open after dark with the lights on if the ship isn't moving. We did once n Cabo and a swarm of little black bugs flew in. One bit my hubby on his bare butt when he sat on it !!!

Oh no!!!! That's terrible, lol!

We don't sleep with the door open. We prefer to control our comfort level with heat (AK) or AC (Caribbean). Also, NCL requests that you keep your balcony doors closed since rooms are not air tight and it affects their ability to heat and cool the ship.

I've also found the wind tunnel affect mentioned by a previous poster. We've had 20mph gusts of wind sucking through our cabin when both the balcony and cabin doors are opened.

Edited by sdmike

I've also found the wind tunnel affect mentioned by a previous poster. We've had 20mph gusts of wind sucking through our cabin when both the balcony and cabin doors are opened.

Yep, it's always fun when someone opens the cabin door when the balcony is open. That's when you discover how many freestyle dailies and bar slips you have laying around the room, as they fly past you. :)

In January my parents were on the Gem and had their balcony door open while in port in DR. A bat flew in their room. :eek: They had to call the room steward to come help them get it out. That pretty much soured me on keeping my door open during my trip this past week. I love it in theory, but worries of bats would have had me sleeping with one eye open, so not worth it to me!

On our past Mexican Riviera cruises, we left the balcony door open as much as possible...including while sleeping. I even slept on the balcony a couple of times. I prefer the fresh outside air over A/C air.The curtains are always open no matter what!

Edited by TinCan782

In January my parents were on the Gem and had their balcony door open while in port in DR. A bat flew in their room. :eek: They had to call the room steward to come help them get it out. That pretty much soured me on keeping my door open during my trip this past week. I love it in theory, but worries of bats would have had me sleeping with one eye open, so not worth it to me!

That is just disgusting to me! I would have had a fit!

We like to have the balcony door open at night, but just a crack so we can hear the waves. We have the curtains closed up to the opening, usually about a foot. My husband is usually worried about people peeking over the balcony, but now I will have to mention the bats!:eek:

I've always heard leaving it open affects the temperature in the surrounding cabins, but I'll admit to doing it.

Hmmmmh, interesting ... perhaps this would explain why my cabin on my recent Epic sailing was always hot. We never could seem to cool it down enough to be comfortable (yes, I know - we should have called the front desk about it but didn't).

My previous sailing on the ship was quite comfortable.

OP, to answer your question - no, I don't leave it open (especially in this case when we didn't want to add humid, hot air into an already hot room. LOL!).

Have a great cruise!!!

I always leave the balcony door open~~such a nice breeze and the sound of the ocean, except one cruise~~my friend woke me up and said the guy in the balcony next to us had a bat fly into his cabin. He was screaming! When I went on the "Breakaway" last fall the door was open all the time!:)

We keep it closed. It's way too hot for us with it open. I need the AC to work.

You used to be able to use a magnet to trick the system into thinking the door was closed, but I'm not sure if that still works. Even so, if it's humid, nothing will help other than closing the door!

You used to be able to use a magnet to trick the system into thinking the door was closed, but I'm not sure if that still works. Even so, if it's humid, nothing will help other than closing the door!

Exactly. I don't do humidity. (Yet I live in Indiana, go figure).