Bring beer on board legally

2red4u

There is a beer we can't get anywhere near where we live. We love this beer. However I have found a place at one the ports that sells it. Can I bring it on board to take home. And if I can can we pay a corkage fee to open some a drink in the ship? Also can u fly with beer in a checked luggage?

There is a beer we can't get anywhere near where we live. We love this beer. However I have found a place at one the ports that sells it. Can I bring it on board to take home. And if I can can we pay a corkage fee to open some a drink in the ship? Also can u fly with beer in a checked luggage?

I believe that you may check it in your luggage but be mindful of any potential overweight fee that you may have to pay. I am thinking about bringing back some Kalik beer from the Bahamas myself.

Yes, you can fly with beer in checked luggage. Declare it on the customs form though. Make sure it is wrapped well if in bottles. Bring some bubble wrap with you, and large plastic yard bags if bringing more than a sixer back. Also swaddle/nest the bottles in dirty clothing in your luggage. All to reduce breakage and minimize any spillage.

What beer are you talking about, what port(s) is it available? Hae you checked your ships home port area? As beer distributors vary in what they carry, it might be available where you board. Assuming FLL or Miami, then a Total Wine Store would be a good place to check as they have a very large selection of beers.

On our Dawn cruise in March, 2012, a fellow Canadian mentioned near the end of our cruise how you could bring a six pack on board and they would not confiscate it from you. We decided to give it a try on our last port and purchased a 6 pack. Our 6 pack was placed inside a bag (can't recall if it was a plastic or paper bag), placed on the scanner when re-entering the ship and promptly given back to us after being scanned. I believe we had a two day sail back to Miami after that. The worse that can happen is that they will take it away from you and give it back to you on the last night of your cruise. My suggestions would be to at least try buying a 6 pack each.

As a beer snob that hauls a lot of beer around, yes, you can take it in checked luggage with no problem. It's best if you have hard-sided luggage. Make sure you pad the bottles well. Don't let the bottles touch each other (glass on glass). Men's shoes make good padding for small bottles.

Your biggest issue will be the additional weight it adds

The beer is kronenburg 1664 blanc. We leave from seattle.

I checked Total wine's beer list. Both the Miami and FLL stores show the green bottle 1664 but are out at the moment. IIRC the Blanc is in a whitish bottle. Not listed.

Best of luck with getting it on your cruise.:)

I was thinking bottles in my earlier post. My mistake

Since that beer comes in cans, you're going to want to pack them in something crush resistant. I'd put them in a tied off garbage bag inside of a shoebox or something. Crushing combined with the higher than normal can pressure due to altitude has created a fair number of messes.

The craft beer snob in me has to interject that you can find far better beers than this all around the Northwest.

Sdmike I am sure there are better beers. I am actually a whiskey girl but I did enjoy this beer. My husband doesn't normally drink different beers but this was recommended and he actually tried it! He loved and now I have been searching high and low to get some for him. We had it last year in Florida.

Sdmike I am sure there are better beers. I am actually a whiskey girl but I did enjoy this beer. My husband doesn't normally drink different beers but this was recommended and he actually tried it! He loved and now I have been searching high and low to get some for him. We had it last year in Florida.

I understand completely. That style is called "Witbier", which is an unfiltered Belgian style made mostly with wheat and has various spices. I'm a big fan of Belgians since they can be complex, flavorful and still very drinkable. One of my favorites is called "BBQ" (bourbon barrel quad) made by Boulevard. Take what he likes and age it a year in bourbon barrels and things get VERY interesting. :)

Having said that, here are a few beers you might find locally that are very similar. If it's the style he likes more than it just being the beer, your task of finding beer might get much easier if he likes one of these:

Hoegaarden - This is real mainstream, but really good too. It's actually produced in Belgium. You can find this at grocery stores here

Allagash White - These guys are in Maine, but distribute nationally. Probably my favorite wit

Blue Moon isn't great, but it's made by Coors now so it's easy to find

If he doesn't normally drink beer, he might not realize that it's a fruity white wheat beer, of which there are numerous brands available in the US, both domestic and imported. (I prefer Hoegaarden). You might tell your husband to inquire at his local beer store, and see what brand they can recommend. I'd bet he'd find something he enjoys just as much without the hassle.

Blue moon = yucky in our house. Thanks for the others I'll be looking for them this weekend!

Oh, I agree about Blue Moon...but at least it's better than Shock Top. lol

I bet he'll like Hoengaarden. It's very well done for a mass market beer. It's available in 12oz bottles, likely at the local grocer.

The Allagash will be in a large 22oz bottle or in 12oz bottles. It's world class quality, so I think it's worth driving down to the local beer/wine place to find it.

here's what you're looking for. I'm not sure they distribute to WA, but you can check here: http://www.allagash.com/locator/ Just put in your zip code

allagashwhite.gif

I'll be curious to hear what he thinks!

Edited by sdmike

He drinks miller lite and usually doesn't order anything else. I was quite shocked when he asked about the others on the menu, even more shocked when he told the waiter to pick one for him!!

I like Miller Lite. It's great for hydrating after drinking real beer... sort of like flavored water

- signed, the craft beer snob :D

I like Miller Lite. It's great for hydrating after drinking real beer... sort of like flavored water

- signed, the craft beer snob :D

Mike, since you know your beers, can you suggest a similar beer to "Red Trolley" I think it was a red ale I had this beer while visiting Disneyland and just loved it! I've tried many beers, ales, here on the east coast , and have yet to find anything even close to it..So please make a suggestion..Thanks in advance!

Mike, since you know your beers, can you suggest a similar beer to "Red Trolley" I think it was a red ale I had this beer while visiting Disneyland and just loved it! I've tried many beers, ales, here on the east coast , and have yet to find anything even close to it..So please make a suggestion..Thanks in advance!

Not to hijack (forgive me, OP), but Red Trolley is made by Karl Strauss here in San Diego. It's an "ok" Irish Red Ale. It's a little on the caramel/malty side, and since it's not hoppy at all a lot of casual beer drinkers like it. I'll drink it with pizza. :) If you get desperate and want to pay for shipping I can send you a bunch of it. The problem is that the only reliable way to do it is using Fedex. It makes a $7 six pack into a $30 six pack. :eek:. That's why we generally only ship around pricy beer.

Here are a few you might find back east...

Sam Adams Irish Red - Yes, that Sam Adams. This is a decent red ale. A lot of my craft beer buddies agree that Sam Adams is underrated as a craft brewery. This should be all over the place

Boulevard Brewing in KC makes an Irish ale too. I've not tried it, but Boulevard tends to make very nice beers, especially their smokestack series

If you're in Indiana/Illinois, Three Floyds makes a really good Irish ale called Brian Boru. It's worth finding. It's got a pretty copper color and some great flavors of caramel and toffee mixed in.

If you're down south, like Florida, Cigar City makes something called Hornswaggled. I can't get it out here but I tried it when i was down in Tampa. It's very good

Hope that helps. Again, I can get you a ton of that beer if you're willing to pay to have it shipped to you :)

oops..saw you're in NY. My 3 favorite NY breweries don't make that style (Brooklyn, Southern Tier, Ommegang). Maybe Sam's Irish Red will do the trick, unless a Yankee's fan owns the store and refuses to sell Boston beer. :)

Edited by sdmike

Thank you very much for the information Mike! I will source locally your recommendations, if all else fails I will be in contact, to take you up on your generous offer to source the red trolley for me..Thanks again Mike, sorry op for the sidetrack!

A case of Red Trolley is around $15. Shipping would be probably double that, unfortunately

Good beer?

Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc is a premium wheat beer that turns every beer moment in to a sip of French pleasure. Brewed in Alsace, France, Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc uses an old Belgian Wit beer recipe, and adds citrus, giving it a fresh fruity flavour.

Readily available in BC Liquor stores (Vancouver isn't too far from Seattle). It seems a bit pricey to me but since I'm a member of the W.I.N.O.S. (women in need of sanity), it don't matter to me :)