ANY MILITARY USE THE NAS IN KEY WEST

sea_u_onboard

Just realized there is a Naval Air Station in Key West. Any military people use the facilities there? How far is it from the pier? Is it big? How do you get around on the base? Anyone use their MWR? What do they offer?

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

I'm not sure what NAS is but we are looking into renting a house on the base in Key West next January (retired navy). Is this what you are talking about? I'd like to know the answers to your questions also.

llanning - I just posted a thread about the tours on Key west. I can email you the ITT price list. Send your email address to seauonboard@yahoo.com and put Tour List (or something similar) in the subject line - I delete emails from people I don't recongize - too many BUGS out there.

I'm (we're) still waiting to hear if anyone has used the services at the Key West base. Anyone?

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

• 2 years later...

My husband and I and our family have used MWR in Key West several times now, have rented a 4 bedroom condo for 120 a night, you can't even think of staying in Key West in a run down 2 room shack for that kind of money!!! the condos are clean and big and furnished decently, nice large screened porch out back with a grill too......they are fully furnished including washer and dryer, and kitchen supplies!! Excellent value!! We also stayed in the trailers, much smaller but kept very clean and fine for 1 or two couples and using it just to sleep and eat. they are only 50 bucks an night. Plus of course you have use of the hotel on base as well , and the 2 bed room condos.............plus you can book all your tours to MWR right there on base at the military rates, and eat on base if you wish and certainly shop on base at the commisary and exchange!! so close to Duval.........perfect!!! WE stay there as often as we can (when they have availability). Enjoy!!!

The MWR in Key West is GREAT.........condos for 120 a night (a4 bedrooms) , trailers, and 3 bedroom condos as well. Hotel.............Super deal trust me , we have used it ALOT!!! Information and Reservations (305) 293-5000

townHouses (condos)

2 adults 80.00

each additional adult 10.00

Children under16 FREE

Four Bedroom townhouses 120.00

Trailers at Trumbo Point 2 bedrooms

up to four person Occupancy 60.00

navy Lodge-sigsbee park 305-292-7556

Hope this helps! book your excursions through the MWR, great military prices!!!:D

Hi, I am currently stationed here at NAS Key West.

The other posts mention the condos, but if you are looking for a more affordable stay I recommend the Navy Lodge, which is $60 a night. The Navy Lodge is also next door to the ITT/MWR office where you can browse through a huge list of things to do for a much cheaper price (water sports, attractions, etc).

Because the island is so small the base is broken up into different sections. Truman annex is the one that is next to the pier (and where I work) but there is only work buildings there. Boca Chica is the same, work only. You'll find the Navy Lodge and ITT/MWR at Sigsbee, which is located on Roosevelt ave. Commisary and NEX are on that section too.

Let me know if you have more questions!

I used to work for MWR at Trumbo where we rented the condos and trailers. Trumbo is in walking distance from the pier but there's nothing there if you're not staying there, and currently all condos are under renovation so only trailers are being rented. You need a taxi to go to Sunset Lounge at Sigbee or the Fly Lounge at the Boca Chica station.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, I'm SO glad I found this thread. I started looking for Key West hotels, and was either concerned about the quality of the places I found, or the very high price. I will call MWR tomorrow and see what I can do.

It DOES pay to be in the military sometimes! :)

• 1 month later...
I used to work for MWR at Trumbo where we rented the condos and trailers. Trumbo is in walking distance from the pier but there's nothing there if you're not staying there, and currently all condos are under renovation so only trailers are being rented. You need a taxi to go to Sunset Lounge at Sigbee or the Fly Lounge at the Boca Chica station.

A group of us (7) are planning a fishing trip down there in May. We were really looking forward to getting a condo. :( Do you have any idea when the condo's will reopen again? Do you have any info on the trailers? i.e. How many will they sleep? We have 3 couples and 1 single in our group.

Any info you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget about the Fly Navy building. Rooms there are about $35 - 40. per night and 2 room suites under $50.00 per night, if I remember correctly. You may need an active duty type to sign you in though, not sure about that.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...
Don't forget about the Fly Navy building. Rooms there are about $35 - 40. per night and 2 room suites under $50.00 per night, if I remember correctly. You may need an active duty type to sign you in though, not sure about that.

Mary

What's the Fly Navy building? I have a reservation for a trailer right now, since the condos are being renovated. Would be interested if there's a better option, though. (I am active duty, if that makes a difference)

What's the Fly Navy building? I have a reservation for a trailer right now, since the condos are being renovated. Would be interested if there's a better option, though. (I am active duty, if that makes a difference)

It's the BOQ at Trumbo Point Annex. It's called the "Fly Navy" because of a painting on the top that can be seen across town.

We are stationed here in KW and live on Sigsbee.

It's correct that is rare to get a room at Fly Navy - especially if there are squadrons in town.

Many posts say to try the Navy Lodge which is availabe. It is on Sigsbee and is close to the commissary, exchange, Sunset Lounge, base marina, and MWR/ITT office. Might want to look into the availability.

The marina just recently began renting fishing boats, if you are interested.

ITT/MWR has decent discounts for all the sightseeing and watersports.

Sigsbee is either a $13.50 or $4/pp cab ride to Duval. I think it is $4/pp if you have 4 or more in your group.

The exchange and commissary have the basics. We have only about 1200 active duty .

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Although I do not know much about the condos or trailers.

I guess we've been luck with the Fly Navy building since we've stayed there several times. They offer single rooms as well as 2 room suites, which are very nice and a fantastic bargain. The biggest problem there is that unless you are active military and are PCS (permanent change of station) which has priority, you must renew your reservation every day with the front desk. I imagine this is in case there are trainees stationed there. But usually one room isn't too hard if they know you want to stay for a week or so, at least that's been my experience. Also, as I mentioned before, you must have active personnel sign your original check in. (Our daughter is married to active an Coast Guard and are currently in their secound tour in KW).

The condos are the better choice in my opinion. We've stayed there a few times also, and will make reservations for next May (Grandson's communion) as soon as that time slot opens. I can't remember the exact price, but you get 3 or 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms and a complete living area with equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, and a screened in porch. We'll stay there with our son and his family, so it works for us, and the condos are more comfortable than the trailers (stayed in those, too).

Mary

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been calling for two days and a machine answers and says they are busy and to leave a message. How long does it take to reach them and if I can't will they really call back. How hard is it to get ressies? Thank you for any info.

• 3 months later...

I'm a retied cpo and want to spend a few days in Key west prior to our cruise. I have a party of eight that will be staying there and would likw to know which one of the NAS Key west rental facilities are the nicest and if they will accomodate all of us in one unit? Are they on a beach, is there a pool around the rentals, do you need to get a pass to go on or off the instalation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, CPOJON

The MWR in Key West is GREAT.........condos for 120 a night (a4 bedrooms) , trailers, and 3 bedroom condos as well. Hotel.............Super deal trust me , we have used it ALOT!!! Information and Reservations (305) 293-5000

townHouses (condos)

2 adults 80.00

each additional adult 10.00

Children under16 FREE

Four Bedroom townhouses 120.00

Trailers at Trumbo Point 2 bedrooms

up to four person Occupancy 60.00

navy Lodge-sigsbee park 305-292-7556

Hope this helps! book your excursions through the MWR, great military prices!!!:D[/quote

Hi there, I'm a retired CPO and am taking my family to Key west for a vavation. There are eight of us and I see that MWR has several options for rentals. Which facility would be the best for us as far as being able to put us all in one rental close to a pool or the beach? Thank you.

CPOJON

Archived