ANY MILITARY USE THE NAS IN KEY WEST

sea_u_onboard

They dont have anymore 4 bedroom condos they are now all 3 bedrooms :confused: sorry we use to love to get the 4 bedroom ones. But the 3 bedroom ones are great, very clean! We were just there 3 weeks ago it was alot of fun

Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping we get to take advantage of this lodging sometime very soon!

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

I will be in Key West the 9th thru the 13th of November with my husband and 2 teenage kids. I want to know what location would be better, the Navy Lodge on Sigsbee or a 3 Bedroom Townhouse on Trumbo. Do both places have a pool? Which is closer to down town? I have not been able to find any pictures of either, so I am taking everyones word. As long as it it clean, it is just a place to spleep. Should I book my excursions at the MWR or Online?

Thanks Blondie

definatly the townhouses at trumbo point are the closest to Duval! They are very clean and comfortable, again the the ritz carlton but for the $$$ a GREAT deal ! Your teenage daughers will be kicked out of most places by 9pm on Duval but durring the day there is plenty to do espeically if your go snorkling or on a boat or a million other things you can book at great discounts at the ITT OFFICE over on Sigsbee. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just came across this site and thread so will try to give some info on Key West.

We are retired Navy and travel in a motorhome. Have spent the winter in Sigsbees RV park on KW in 05 and 08. So we got to visit a lot of the Navy places there. At Trumbo Point there is a pool by the rv sites which I am sure is open to all.

There is beach access (mil/dod) nearby. You can rent scooters all over the place,. Also small electric cars like golf carts that can hold at least 4.And can get you all around the island.

The atmosphere is kinda honky-tonk and is a lot of fun, even in the daytime. A lot of cruise ships pull int there.

The island is onlky 4miles long and 1-1/2 wide. Plenty of walking tours-train tours that run on the street. Called Conch Train. There is always something going on. They have a Passport book available at the ITT that covers a lot. Or they did? May be not anymore ,not sure but you can ask.

There is a Navy bus that runs between all the facilities too.

I was supposed to be there now but health issues prevent us from going this year. Being in an RV and staying there for at least 6-8 weeks you make a lot of friends that we won't see this year.

There are plenty of boats that offer fishing, dinner, whale watching and all kinds of things.

Punch up the MWR site and follow links.

I will try to attach some pics.

I could only find 1 worth posting. Which is the home of Hemingway.

Ther is also the Truman White house to see, a butterfly museum. The wreckers museum.. Sloppy Joes Bar of course. Plenty places to eat and all in walking distance.If you like to walk.

If you rent a golf cart bring quarters for the parking meters which are scarce ,especially when the cruise ships are in.

Its a GREAT place have fun.

kw49.jpg.fd9b072abe34a454483de66a41b8dc75.jpg

• 2 months later...

Is there any chance that the MWR has discounts on the trip to the Dry Tortugas? My husband is really interested in this - but our day in Key West is fairly short.

Are there any sea planes still going there?

Are golf carts rented on the base?

I'm really glad I ran across this thread!

Is there any chance that the MWR has discounts on the trip to the Dry Tortugas? Yes, I believe they do but the trip is 8am to 5pm. My husband is really interested in this - but our day in Key West is fairly short.

Are there any sea planes still going there? I don't think so.

Are golf carts rented on the base? No, not at all.

I'm really glad I ran across this thread!

Enjoy your stay.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this forum while looking up Key West military discounts. I am a retired EM1.

I have a room booked for $68 a night for 7 nights at the Gateway Suites, formerly the BOQ. Supposedly it is minutes from Duval. I am excited about the trip and glad I have found that rate.

I do have a few questions that maybe someone here can answer...

Is there a pool near the Gateway Suites?

Does anyone know if MWR has Dry Tortuga discounts?

Thanks!

Just stumbled on this forum while looking up Key West military discounts. I am a retired EM1.

I have a room booked for $68 a night for 7 nights at the Gateway Suites, formerly the BOQ. Supposedly it is minutes from Duval. I am excited about the trip and glad I have found that rate.

I do have a few questions that maybe someone here can answer...

Is there a pool near the Gateway Suites?

There is one on that base but it is really for kids and young teenagers, definitely not an adult pool.

Does anyone know if MWR has Dry Tortuga discounts? Yes. It's a MUST see! We saw floating sea turtles and the snorkeling was awesome. Definitely snorkel around the old dock pilings - all the fish hang out there. I even saw a 6' tarpon!! There are two boats The Fast Cat and the Yankee Freedom II. It's a 2.5 hr ride to the fort. The Fast Cat you cannot walk around during the ride but Yankee Freedom you can. We took the YF and had a great time. I talked to the skipper, the lunch was nice, and they were helpful when I was slightly stung by something like a jelly fish. They have plenty of vinegar!

Thanks!

We moved in February and before we moved we did a bi-plane ride. It was awesome! And I would highly suggest it.

Plus if you dive, they just sank the Vandenberg and are already during dive trips if you're interested.

Hello everyone! I am a federal employee at DFAS (the Dept of Defense accounting service), does anyone know if I would be able to use the NAS?

Sorry, but I do not believe so. However, if you have a military ID that says "civilian," and your place of business is on a military installation, you may be able to swing it, but it will be difficult.

Does anyone have any info about the trailers at Trumbo? I know the condo's are preferred, but I couldn't get a reservation for a condo, although I was told I'd be put on the list if there was a vacancy. What are the trailers like? Clean and comfortable, I would assume, but are they dated and dreary? I'm not expecting "upscale", but I was hoping for something not dark and depressing. Are these trailers mobile homes with kitchens and living room? There is no website or pictures, so I have no idea what to expect.

Also, we're driving a rental car, but I'm assuming no one drives in Key West. How far is Trumbo from Duval St, and what's the best way to get there - Taxi, is there public transportation, or is it close enough to walk?

Does anyone know about how much it costs to rent a golf cart? Are there golf cart, bike or scooter rental discounts at ITT?

I am planning a girls get-away with 2 of my friends and will be down there 6/23-26 and wanted to know what to expect. Although we're on a budget, if the trailers are pre-WWII disasters, my friends will never let me live it down!

Archived