Lunch in Main Dining Room Embarkation Day

LovetheSea

One down side to eating in the dining room on our last cruise was they would not give us a table for two. Guess they wanted one less table to clear. so we went to the buffet.

We had no trouble getting a table for 2 on both the Emerald and Ruby in January.

I do not eat in the MDR on embarkation day because I don't eat a FULL 3-5 course meal at lunch and again at dinner. That combined with the time to do a proper sit down lunch makes this a "not" on my cruise list. But good to know there are people who like it!

• 3 months later...

We boarded the Star at 1 today and found the DR at 1:25, because they herded us to the buffet. we were denied access stating we were too late! Went up to buffet , all out of. Salad!

Not impressed so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to which dining room will be opened on the Island Princess on the first day? I would love to try something different from a buffet on our first day.

Just check the back page on the embarkation day Patter which will be in your cabin when you embark.

Just check the back page on the embarkation day Patter which will be in your cabin when you embark.

Are we allowed to go directly to our cabins when we board the ship no matter what time it is? On Carnival, this is my first cruise on Princess but I have sailed Carnival 11 times, you can't unless you are Platinum. Most guest can't until they 'open' the cabins at 1:30..

I don't know why so many people eat in the buffet on embarkation day? Every Princess sailing I have been on, when you get on the ship, they tell you lunch is being served in the buffet. But fail to tell you it is also being served in one of the main dining rooms as well. They post it on the Princess website that it is available. Our best lunches ever have been on embarkation day in the dining room. If you prefer the buffet, great. I just want to let the people who don't know that it is available.

Also the rest of the cruise we never seem to take the time to eat lunch in the dining room because we are busy and don't want to take the time.

I couldn't agree more. We just got off the Grand and we had a wonderful lunch on embarkation day in the MDR, got there about 12:15. I had a wonderful Bacon/Cheese burger, fries and a glass of milk. For desert we each had a Apple tart. The only time we go to the buffet is when we absolutely have too.

Are we allowed to go directly to our cabins when we board the ship no matter what time it is? On Carnival, this is my first cruise on Princess but I have sailed Carnival 11 times, you can't unless you are Platinum. Most guest can't until they 'open' the cabins at 1:30..

Princess tries very hard to start boarding about 1130 but sometimes it can be a tad later and yes you can then go to your cabin and deposit any carry-on. You will find a "Welcome Aboard" Patters on your bed and on the back page should be information as to which MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day.

The issue of finding the open MDR used to be a real challenge, the staff, contrary to company policy, was instructed to direct you to the buffet. So you had to print the page from the Cruise Answer Place, put in your pocket and go from MDR to MDR until someone let you in. Happily that is no longer the case.

Our last two experiences with trying to have lunch in the dining room on embarkation day weren't the best. In March, we were told we were too late. We did arrive a little after 1:00so we somewhat understood that. In May, we arrived at noon and were told you had to be part of a 'special group'. Not sure if it was BVE or something else. We explained we often eat at the MDR on 'E' day. They then said they could probably find a table for us. The odd part was the room was half empty the entire time we were there.

In March' date=' we were told we were too late. We did arrive a little after 1:00 so we somewhat understood that.[/quote']

I do not understand that. You are supposed to be able to enter the dining room until 1:30 PM.

I do not understand that. You are supposed to be able to enter the dining room until 1:30 PM.

I appreciate your comment. I wasn't sure and gave in. I suppose that is why I felt a little more assertive the next time.

Does anybody know about the Pacific having lunch in the MDR? We generally get something light at the buffet when we skip breakfast. But as we booked so late we are waitlisted for first seating so will want to eat lunch on E day. To have a sit down lunch 12:30-1:00 would be perfect. I will miss the IC (for lunches) but finally on a small ship, and found out I can still get my afternoon Latte :).

I do not eat in the MDR on embarkation day because I don't eat a FULL 3-5 course meal at lunch and again at dinner. That combined with the time to do a proper sit down lunch makes this a "not" on my cruise list. But good to know there are people who like it!

Lunch in MDR is not a 3-5 course meal. They offer lite fare, salads, soup, sandwiches, etc. You can get more if you desire.

The only problem with the DR is that it takes to long to eat & we always like to unpack & put everything away before the drill. That lets us enjoy the sail-a-way knowing our cabin is set for the rest of the trip. There's plenty of other days to enjoy the DR for lunch.

You can control this in several ways-- order fewer courses, tell the server you're in a hurry, and/or get a table for two. We always eat in the MDR on embarkation day if possible, and our luggage is rarely at our cabin when we get back from lunch.

Edited by FritzG

Love eating in the dining room. Do not do Buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto.

Lunch in the dining room on embarkation day has a very limited menu. For a wider choice the Horizon is probably better. Also better and faster for those who want to explore the ship.

The grill and International cafe are also available for lunch on embarkation day.

For me an unhurried lunch in MDR just seems the perfect way to start my cruise vacation. Kind of gives me that "how lucky I am to be back" feeling.

And I know it will be the only time on the cruise where it will have such a peaceful atmosphere. I just love it!

I haven't been able to make the MD for lunch on embarkation day my first two Princess cruises; it was closed by the time we got there. Maybe next month...

I generally like the buffet, but not on embarkation day. It's just too crowded and noisy.

But - next month will be our first cruise with a child (8 months) - anyone have experience in the MDR on embarkation day with a child they'd care to share??

We enjoy sitting in the Horizon Court and looking all around outside and seeing the sights at the port. Granted some ports are just industrial areas but it is still interesting to us. Where our ship was docked in Singapore was fascinating-they were off-loading thousands of white pick up trucks and it was a sight to see.

I enjoy the MDR during sea days