First time cruise on the Azura - with a baby too!

lauraandgordon

Hello all

So we have never cruised before, and are taking our baby (who will be 20 months) at time of the trip.

I have a few questions:

- Our cabin (inside stateroom) is literally right next to the Riviera deck pool. I am a bit concerned that we will be able to smell cigarette smoke from the smoking areas in our cabin - obviously not good for the baby. Has anyone any experience of cabins right next to smoking areas?

- If it does turn out to be an issue (e.g. if we can smell smoke once we get there), how likely is it that we would be able to switch cabin?

- Regarding the night nursery - our baby will definitely not go to sleep if we are in the room with her - and might take ten minutes or so to settle; how strict are they about paging you if the baby wakes up? She will settle eventually, but a bit worried about just settling down for dinner, and them paging us because she's having a little moan! Of course, I totally understand that other babies are trying to get to sleep, so might be tricky for the nursery staff.

- Also, how much in demand is the night nursery? Do we need to be queuing outside its door at 6 p.m. on the first night to ensure a place?

- Although the baby will be under 2 when we travel, if she is accompanied by us, will she be allowed into the kids' club?

- Any other tips for travelling with a little one?

Lots of questions - thank you in advance for your help!

Hello all

So we have never cruised before, and are taking our baby (who will be 20 months) at time of the trip.

I have a few questions:

- Our cabin (inside stateroom) is literally right next to the Riviera deck pool. I am a bit concerned that we will be able to smell cigarette smoke from the smoking areas in our cabin - obviously not good for the baby. Has anyone any experience of cabins right next to smoking areas?

- If it does turn out to be an issue (e.g. if we can smell smoke once we get there), how likely is it that we would be able to switch cabin?

- Regarding the night nursery - our baby will definitely not go to sleep if we are in the room with her - and might take ten minutes or so to settle; how strict are they about paging you if the baby wakes up? She will settle eventually, but a bit worried about just settling down for dinner, and them paging us because she's having a little moan! Of course, I totally understand that other babies are trying to get to sleep, so might be tricky for the nursery staff.

- Also, how much in demand is the night nursery? Do we need to be queuing outside its door at 6 p.m. on the first night to ensure a place?

- Although the baby will be under 2 when we travel, if she is accompanied by us, will she be allowed into the kids' club?

- Any other tips for travelling with a little one?

Lots of questions - thank you in advance for your help!

Laura,

There is no smoking around any pool so there little chance of any smoke getting into your cabin. The smoking area is on the main deck, near the middle of the ship, well away from where you are.

Errrrr no idea about the other matters. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can use the kids club facilities for under twos if you are supervising

From the P&O website:

What activities are arranged for children?

Activities For Children

A full programme of age appropriate activities will be provided for 2-17 year olds. You will receive a copy of this when you arrive on board.

Activities For Infants

The minimum age for children to participate in supervised daytime activities without parent/guardian is two years old, however for families travelling with children under two we would encourage you to come and use the facilities and activities with your child under your supervision. On the Ventura and Azura there are designated rooms for families to use with their under twos.

I have a few questions:

I've had cabins in the same position on Ventura and not noticed any smell of smoke.

More chance of getting the ship up the Panama Canal (ie none)

Sorry - not travelled with a little one, so can't answer the other questions. Probably you should raise these with the relevant staff when you are on board.

Try not to worry - P&O are very experienced, and I'm sure that many other parents have had similar questions in the past. Things usually work out fine, and as they say in the US - "Don't sweat the small stuff"

Have a good holiday!

Hi I'm sure you will really enjoy your holiday on Azura.

The only place I have ever smelt smoke inside, was in the corridors which the lido deck cabins were on. I think this was more due to the " vacuum effect " when the outside doors open. I certainly don't think it would have any impact on the inside of any cabin. As another poster has stated, it would be extremely unlikely to be able to change cabins but you shouldn't need to.

The kids clubs are fantastic and you will be able to take your little girl to play in the dedicated toddler area.

My children are 7 & 11 now but we have cruised since the first one was 3 so remember the baby days well ;)

The staff in the night nursery must see 1000's of babies / toddlers who all have different ways of going off to sleep. If you explain to the member of staff on duty your toddlers sleeping habits, then they will quite happily give her time to settle. If on the other hand you would prefer to be paged straight away then they will also do this. It is entirely your choice.

The spaces in the night nursery are fairly limited but it obviously depends on what time of year you are booked. There are always far more children and babies on board during school holidays so it might be more difficult to get a place during these times.

A few other tips.

1. Take a few washing powder tablets. There are laundrettes on most decks and with a little one you may need it !!

2. Take a good supply of wipes & nappies. I think they can be bought on board but are quite pricey. It is possible to buy them ashore if you should need to.

3.The buffet has a kids tea at 5pm every day. This is great as it has such a good choice of bits and bobs that even the fussiest eater will find something !

4. Your cabin steward will be only to happy to help with any requests for milk etc you may need.

5. Take a set of reins. They are handy for wandering around the ship safely and ideal ashore to stop any dashes for freedom !! My little girl had a little pink rucksack with a rein attached which she thought was wonderful as she could put her drink & snack in it.

6. Get used to all the attention that your little girl will receive. Most of the staff adore the children, many will not have seen their own children for many months. She will be made a fuss of but will probably love all the attention :D

I'm sure you will get lots more help from other members.

Just gutted we haven't been able to book ourselves a cruise this year !!! Going through the advice has made me want to pack my own suitcase !! :D

There is smoking allowed on starboard side of pools on Azura there are tables set out with ashtrays so people who eat from self service restaurant, pizza/ grill can eat and drink and smoke.

Is this on the Lido deck because the OP is talking about the small pool at the back of Riviera deck.

Hi lauraandgordon

Not done the baby thing, but what we do know is the Kids Clubs are great. The staff are all well trained, qualified and really do care. The spaces are custom built and very well equipped. How you chose to use the clubs is up to you.

Unless you are going at peak school holiday times you will have no issues getting booked in.

Smokers tend to congregate on the Starboard side around the Coral pool and breakers bar. Well away from where you are so I very much doubt you will have any issue at all. There may be a few at the very back of the ship as well.

Have a really great time, and remember, this is a break for you as well as your baby :)

Thank you everyone - that's really helpful. So great to hear that the nursery staff are accommodating.

My husband and I will probably take shifts with the baby during the day, so that each of us gets some "relaxing" time too. Has anyone had any experience with walkie talkies in order to communicate whilst on board?

It's all well and good making plans and trying to stick to them, but an unplanned outfit change (the baby, not my husband!) can throw the best plans right off schedule!

We took our 14 month old boy on Ventura last May. The nursery staff were excellent. We never had any problem getting him in the nursery from 6 onwards but it fills up later in the evening. They will only page you if the baby wakes up and they can't settle them. This happened to is once in 14 nights. Our boy also used the kids club and got a lovely leaving present at the end of the cruise :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is this on the Lido deck because the OP is talking about the small pool at the back of Riviera deck.

And you replied i quote "There is no smoking around any pool so there little chance of any smoke getting into your cabin". Which was false information as there is smoking allowed by side of pools.

Laura

Please don't get me wrong here. I think you are worrying far to much......

Yes small people have the knack of causing total chaos at the worst possible times. Just adapt and make do, the same as you do every other time.

Walki Talkies won't work well on a ship. They are made of steel so the radio waves won't get very far, esp if one of you is inside.

You will probably find 2 or 3 spots on the ship that you chose to frequent. OK these ships are big, but we have never come close to losing each other (unless one of us wants to get lost and hide somewhere)

Just relax, chill out and enjoy your cruise :)

Hi Laura, not much to add to the above except to reiterate please don't worry!

One extra thing, there are phones positioned all around the ship which are available to use, so you can communicate with the cabin if one of you are doing the resting cover! Also if you do end up eating as a family in the MDR the waiters are really speedy in getting either a children's meal, bread or fries if you need to pacify, this happened to us a lot first cruise!!

Enjoy, it is the only way to travel as a mummy!!

Suzy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app