How formal on Formal Nights

SEAEDP

First of all I have no idea why, in 2014, a company sees fit to have a Formal Dress Code on any of its ships. No other means of transportation or vacation venue has Formal Dress Codes. Possibly some luxury hotels and vacation spots have a dress attire for a specific restaurant, dinner club, or show, but nothing in the order of an entire cruise ship with 4,000 people as residents. It kind of smacks of a bygone era where everyone dressed formally and sometimes in their own houses. Now, if the cruise lines are going to specify formal attire on certain nights, they should possibly limit it to European cruises. Why in the world would anyone want to dress formally on a Caribbean cruise? Yet, they still have formal nights even then. I am not complaining or trying to change anything, which is beyond my control anyway. I am just questioning a policy that probably satisfies only 10% of the passengers and maybe irritates the other 90%. Not very good marketing strategy, if you ask me. If Norwegian can do away with formal attire so then can HAL and other cruise lines.

First of all I have no idea why, in 2014, a company sees fit to have a Formal Dress Code on any of its ships. No other means of transportation or vacation venue has Formal Dress Codes. Possibly some luxury hotels and vacation spots have a dress attire for a specific restaurant, dinner club, or show, but nothing in the order of an entire cruise ship with 4,000 people as residents. It kind of smacks of a bygone era where everyone dressed formally and sometimes in their own houses. Now, if the cruise lines are going to specify formal attire on certain nights, they should possibly limit it to European cruises. Why in the world would anyone want to dress formally on a Caribbean cruise? Yet, they still have formal nights even then. I am not complaining or trying to change anything, which is beyond my control anyway. I am just questioning a policy that probably satisfies only 10% of the passengers and maybe irritates the other 90%. Not very good marketing strategy, if you ask me. If Norwegian can do away with formal attire so then can HAL and other cruise lines.

Here's a thought...since you love NCL's dress code so much why don't you just make them your cruise line of choice?

I CHOOSE HAL because of its current policies which include 2 formal night per week. Why are you so arrogant to think that policies should be changed to suit you? There are MANY OTHER CRUISE LINES that you can select from that many better suit your needs.

BTW where in the world did you get your 90/10 percentages...again ARROGANCE.

Here's a thought...since you love NCL's dress code so much why don't you just make them your cruise line of choice?

I CHOOSE HAL because of its current policies which include 2 formal night per week. Why are you so arrogant to think that policies should be changed to suit you? There are MANY OTHER CRUISE LINES that you can select from that many better suit your needs.

BTW where in the world did you get your 90/10 percentages...again ARROGANCE.

Wow. Such anger. So, I guess nobody can ask a question or offer an opinion on your forum. Oh, that's right. It's not your forum, it's Cruise Critic's forum. I specifically stated that I was not complaining or trying to change anything. But, guess that didn't satisfy someone like you. Talk about arrogant. There's one born every minute, I'm afraid.

I have no issue whatsoever with HAL enforcing a dress code in the MDR on formal evening, or indeed having formal evenings in the MDR. It is very nice for those who like this sort of thing.

My one wish would be for HAL to keep the Lido open a few hours later on formal evenings.

I think that HAL can easily satisfy both groups. Not certain why this is such a big deal.

Edited by iancal

I will argue that everyone CAN travel with formal clothes ... but not everyone WANTS to :rolleyes:

I admit I could if I wanted to. There is also "Need to" or "Desire to".

I guess we could go on and on. I will just stay away from the MDR on formal nights.

You are the first in my memory to make reference to the concept more stewards are required in Lido with so many more cruisers having dinner there rather than MDR. I think you make a very good point. It had not occured to me in exactly that way that could be part of the reason there are fewer dining stewards in MDR.

Very valid point.

Perhaps if there are less people dining in the MDR than you would need less stewards there...It would make sense to me to move the extra stewards to the Lido where they may be needed.

I am looking forward to my first HAL cruise. I am reading a lot of 'less than happy' remarks about dress codes and slower service. It makes me wonder why those who feel that way don't just change cruise lines if HAL no longer is what makes them happy? Options. There are a lot of them out there.

Just got back from a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and we ate in the Pinnacle Grill the 2nd night at sea. We only wore smart casual, slacks and open neck shirt, women wore slacks and blouse and that is what most everyone in there had on. On formal nights in the MDR there were plenty of men with open neck shirts, but they did make you wear a suit coat..they had a supply of them behind the desk when you walked into the MDR and you could find one to fit and wear it.

On a recent (as in right now, at this very moment) 10 day/21 day Noordam sailing, I would guess it's about 15% tuxedos, 40% suits, with the remaining men in sport coats. There were some people in casual garb, but not in the MDR.

There were open collars in the MDR.

We eat second turn, which tends to be more dressy.

For women, long gowns were the exception. The majority wore cocktail length dresses.

We did not see the guy who wears the T-shirt with the tuxedo print, but I'm sure he's around somewhere. :eek:

Edited by POA1

Thanks so much for the replies. I was kinda worried that I would have to go out and buy a Tuxedo or a formal white dinner jacket. I will just plan on wearing a dark suit one night and a 'casual' sport coat and slacks on the second night.