Alternative ideas for touring in Istanbul

We're going to be starting our cruise in Istanbul the beginning of May and we've both been there before so wondering if there's any other ideas for tours/sights to see besides repeating the highlights?

Will be going to Cappadocia for 2 days as well...

Thoughts? :rolleyes:

Well, without knowing what you've already done, here are some ideas:

Chora church, to see the fabulous Byzantine mosaics (nice restaurant next door also)

The Great Palace Mosaics Museum in the Arasta Bazaar (alongside the Blue Mosque) -- plus Arasta Bazaar has some of the best shopping in Istanbul

Visiting some of the other great mosques in Istanbul, such as Suleymanye

The Istanbul Archaeological Museum (don't miss the busts of Alexander the Great and the Alexander sarcophagus)

Doing a Turkish bath at one of the traditional hamams

Visit the Turkish and Islamic Arts museum

Thank you Cruisemom....sounds better than rehashing what we've seen before!

I did the Archaeological Museum last time also and it was amazing.

Are these places we can get to on our own or should we get a tour guide to customize a tour for us???

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I believe that both the Archaeological Museum and certainly the Turkish & Islamic Arts Museum are closed this year for renovations.

We are returning to Istanbul after a more than five-year gap since our first visit and some places I plan to go are: Hagia Sophia, which has uncovered much more of its Christian mosaics since our first visit, the Suliyemane Mosque, which was closed in 2008, the Rustem Pasha Mosque, a cruise up the Bosphorus, and the Military Museum, which has a traditional band performance daily.

I personally believe that Istanbul is easy to do on your own without the need of a guide. However, I highly recommend you purchase the Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook, actually written by two local guides, which just was updated last month and has excellent transportation, walking tours and site tours. (For hotels and restaurants, use sister website tripadvisor because the Rick Steves' suggestions for those are a bit too downscale IMO.)

Cynthia, any other suggestions for fellow ruins fans? Thanks.

Edited by CintiPam

Unfortunately I believe that both the Archaeological Museum and certainly the Turkish & Islamic Arts Museum are closed this year for renovations.

......Cynthia, any other suggestions for fellow ruins fans? Thanks.

Glad to hear you're headed back to Istanbul; I remember how much you enjoyed it previously.

I will be there again in October prior to the start of a cruise. Thanks for the heads up on the Archaeological Museum, I definitely was hoping to go back there -- I'll have to check on the situation.

Here are some other things on my Istanbul "to do list" for those who enjoy history and ruins:

• Investigate northern end of Hippodrome, there are supposed to be some remnants of the actual structure still visible (but I'm not sure how visitable)
  • Walk down to the Sea of Marmara to get close to the ancient walls and remains of the Bucoleon Palace. I've seen from a distance (e.g., in a vehicle) but not up close and on foot. Only problem is that there is a lot of traffic and not the most pleasant walk. Also maybe not best done by oneself. So I've put it off.
  • Investigate the old forum of Theodosius, of which the Cemberlitas column was the center. Did you know that the so-called "peacock feather" columns, of which you see remnants around Istanbul, are from this forum? Apparently Theodosius had all the columns carved to resemble the wooden club of Hercules -- not peacock feathers -- and the capital was a huge fist "holding" the column. I've seen the columns but not the fists; there are supposedly remnants around that area.
  • Visit the small (previous) church of SS. Sergius and Bacchus, built by Justinian and said to resemble a small Haghia Sofia (hence the current name of Kucuk Ayasofya Camii). No original interior decoration but beautiful architecture. I've given up thinking of getting into Haghia Eirene, maybe one day.
  • There's at least one good cistern (but not as good as the Basilica Cistern) that I've not seen.
  • Visit the somewhat intriguing Column of Marcian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_Marcian

Glad to hear you're headed back to Istanbul; I remember how much you enjoyed it previously.

I will be there again in October prior to the start of a cruise. Thanks for the heads up on the Archaeological Museum, I definitely was hoping to go back there -- I'll have to check on the situation.

Here are some other things on my Istanbul "to do list" for those who enjoy history and ruins:

• Investigate northern end of Hippodrome, there are supposed to be some remnants of the actual structure still visible (but I'm not sure how visitable)
  • Walk down to the Sea of Marmara to get close to the ancient walls and remains of the Bucoleon Palace. I've seen from a distance (e.g., in a vehicle) but not up close and on foot. Only problem is that there is a lot of traffic and not the most pleasant walk. Also maybe not best done by oneself. So I've put it off.
  • Investigate the old forum of Theodosius, of which the Cemberlitas column was the center. Did you know that the so-called "peacock feather" columns, of which you see remnants around Istanbul, are from this forum? Apparently Theodosius had all the columns carved to resemble the wooden club of Hercules -- not peacock feathers -- and the capital was a huge fist "holding" the column. I've seen the columns but not the fists; there are supposedly remnants around that area.
  • Visit the small (previous) church of SS. Sergius and Bacchus, built by Justinian and said to resemble a small Haghia Sofia (hence the current name of Kucuk Ayasofya Camii). No original interior decoration but beautiful architecture. I've given up thinking of getting into Haghia Eirene, maybe one day.
  • There's at least one good cistern (but not as good as the Basilica Cistern) that I've not seen.
  • Visit the somewhat intriguing Column of Marcian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_Marcian

Thanks, Cynthia, I will check out all of these (except for the walk down to the sea, which simply is not very nice)!

Are you doing another Voyage to Antiquity! We just received a brochure from them so it is on my mind.

Don't miss a visit to the Galata Tower - easy to find & well worth a trip; amazing views all across the city.

Bosporus Cruise - nice relaxing morning / afternoon.

Sulieymane Mosque; much more beautiful & in nicer surroundings than the Blue Mosque.

Thanks, Cynthia, I will check out all of these (except for the walk down to the sea, which simply is not very nice)!

Are you doing another Voyage to Antiquity! We just received a brochure from them so it is on my mind.

Yes, sailing with them again in October on a cruise that departs from Istanbul and visits some ports that are new to me including Thessalonica, Kavala, Volos. We also get an overnight in Kusadasi which will finally allow me to visit Aphrodisias. And it revisits some favorites like Delos and Nauplia.

I recently got back from a land tour of Turkey. I had also spent about 5 days in Istanbul previously (before taking a cruise). A few thoughts:

Take a balloon ride in Capadoccia, we went with Kapadokya Balloons

The Sulamanye (sp?) Mosque was great

As of the end of February, the Archeological Museum was open

The Bosphorus cruise was very nice

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in Istanbul, I strongly recommend Giritli. When we were there (early March), we ate inside a very nice house--in the summer they have outdoor seating. It's a seafood restaurant with a fixed price menu--about 25 different mezes, a choice of 3 fish entrees, desert, all the wine/beer/raki you can drink, and a shot of homemade carnelian cherry liquor (fabulous). It was very enjoyable meal. About $65 US/person.

Here is the trip advisor link http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d919972-Reviews-Giritli_Restaurant-Istanbul.html

Thanks CintiPam and Cruisemom re. Istanbul's Archaeological Museum. I'll be in Istanbul, also, in October (taking V2A) and was planning on spending time in the museum. Any up-to-date info you can find about it's being opened or closed would be much appreciated.

Thanks CintiPam and Cruisemom re. Istanbul's Archaeological Museum. I'll be in Istanbul, also, in October (taking V2A) and was planning on spending time in the museum. Any up-to-date info you can find about it's being opened or closed would be much appreciated.

I know that there is a lot of renovation going on there, so perhaps it would be best to check in with the local destination experts on the Istanbul forum of sister website tripadvisor right before your trip. They are very prompt in replying and usually very up-to-date on their information.

If open, do not miss the beautiful ceramics building and the absolutely amazing Alexander Sarcophagus. Breathtaking!

I know that there is a lot of renovation going on there, so perhaps it would be best to check in with the local destination experts on the Istanbul forum of sister website tripadvisor right before your trip. They are very prompt in replying and usually very up-to-date on their information.

If open, do not miss the beautiful ceramics building and the absolutely amazing Alexander Sarcophagus. Breathtaking!

The Alexander Sarcophagus is right up there with my very favorite museum pieces (which include the Alexander mosaic in Naples, the Marcus Aurelius bronze equestrian statue in the Capitoline in Rome, the frescoes from Livia's villa at the National Museum in Rome, and the Parthenon marbles in London, among others).

The Alexander Sarcophagus is right up there with my very favorite museum pieces (which include the Alexander mosaic in Naples, the Marcus Aurelius bronze equestrian statue in the Capitoline in Rome, the frescoes from Livia's villa at the National Museum in Rome, and the Parthenon marbles in London, among others).

I believe we will be returning to the National Museum in Rome on our one port day in late May. We ran out of time on our last visit; never got to the basement. Livia's villa frescoes were so lovely that I would like a more leisurely look!