Help me understand the Lido Restaurant please?

cw2go

I have cruised Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival... is the Lido restaurant basically a buffet and if not how is it organized for lunch and dinner? Also what is the suggested dress attire?

I would search but as many have posted, I can't...

I am curious of options for dining if we opt to pass on the main dining room a few nights... :confused:

Looking to sail Canada/New England on the Veendam.

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Yes, the Lido is a buffet service breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snack. Dress is casual, including for dinner.

Dinner choices on the Veendam include the main dining room and Pinnacle, which have a dress code; the Lido and Canaletto, which is casual; and room service, which is come as you are.

The Lido is all buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is not open all the time. Check your daily "On Location" program for the times for each meal.

You can wear shorts, slacks, etc. -- no set rule for dress code here -- all day.

If you decide not to eat in the main dining room on formal nights you can eat in the Lido or have dinner in your cabin -- you can even order from the main dining room for dinner. You do need to place your order within the first hour of the main dining room opening -- check to see what the rules will be for the Veendam as they differ by ship. You can ask dinner to be delivered any time you want to eat.

There is also a wonderful menu to order from.

If you want to go to the Canaletto for dinner on formal night you do not have to be all dressed up but no shorts here. It is $10 per person.

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Lido is a nice alternative for a casual dinner. This past cruise, we also availed ourselves of the late night buffet for the 1st time. That was a nice change. It's actually mostly crew there...spa, entertainment, etc., since it's from 10:30 to 11:30. Interesting.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Another question...In the main dining room on formal nights are button down dress shirts and ties common for men or more so a suit atmosphere?

Either is fine just trying to get a feel for the Holland vibe? I've prefer to travel light and keep it easy so only plan to bring what's necessary.

Patty

Another question...In the main dining room on formal nights are button down dress shirts and ties common for men or more so a suit atmosphere?

Add a sport coat to that button down dress shirt & tie to meet the code.

There may be a few more suits than sport coats, but both tend to exceed the number of tuxedos/dinner jackets by quite a bit.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Either is fine just trying to get a feel for the Holland vibe? I've prefer to travel light and keep it easy so only plan to bring what's necessary.

Patty

On our last cruise in the Carribean, it was button down dress shirts for smart casual, suits for formal. We saw a few men that were only dressed in casual polo shirts during smart casual night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the Lido HAL staff will serve you for the first 48 hours to prevent Noro. After that you serve yourself - providing no illness is detected onboard. I think it works very well and never have problems getting what we desire.

On the Vista ships even after the initial 48 hours a lot of the food is still served to or plated for you by the staff. At breakfast they make your egg order, Omelets, fried eggs and poached eggs to order and plate it for you along with your meat choices. At lunch they make sandwiches to order and will also serve you any of the food in the steam trays. Fruit and salad is "help yourself". At dinner again food in the steam trays will be plated for you and if you want to customize your meat selection (rare, med, etc) they will cook it to order.

On the Vista ships even after the initial 48 hours a lot of the food is still served to or plated for you by the staff.

What you describe is not limited to the Vista ships; all the HAL ships cook and plate the hot foods for you.

What you describe is not limited to the Vista ships; all the HAL ships cook and plate the hot foods for you.

Ruth I suspected as much but since I’ve only sailed on the Vista class ships and the OP was going to sail on the Veendam I wanted to make certain that I qualified my comments. And, I so very much like the way HAL handles the “buffet” over Princess or RCCL as there is a certain level of civility to it. :D

Go as you are.

The equivalent of an all you can eat buffet for those that like to over indulge.

You can also get smaller portions for those who have already been overindulging and want less. :)

Last year on the Noordam, you could get the same dinners as in the MDR. It's also easier to get the mix of main dish and vegetables you want. It's a good alternative for those nights you don't want to spend much time at dinner. I like the atmosphere of the MDR, but sometimes I just want to have a quicker, lighter meal and then do something else.

Trish

When we were on the Oosterdam, the Lido had delicious Greek yogurt parfaits with fresh berries and just a little bit of granola every morning. I would have one, go to the gym, and then come back for my custom made veggie omelet.

Disagree to that comment, its a lovely alternative for those who find being waited on, in a more formal setting, not for them, it is not all you can eat... a lot of the mains , especially the meats ,are carved and served in very genteel helpings...If you are greedy ..you are so... where ever you may be... at sea or anywhere...

Its nice to have choices ,and that is why there is something for everyone on a cruise...