My next cruise deserves a better camera

hulamoon

There are no similar compacts that have such a big sensor combined with a very good Zeiss lens and an effective processor that fit in your pocket - thats the point I mentioned. I did not say "if you want THE best", i did say if you want a camera that fits into your pocket - there are lots of compact cameras that simply won't fit.

umm... Nikon Coolpix A has a APS-C sized sensor (same as entry level DSLRs), and with a DxOMark score of 80, scores significantly higher than either the RX100 (DxOMark score 66) or RX100-II (DxOMark score 67). Given the Nikon Coolpix A is almost the identical size to the RX100, they could both be considered pocket cameras.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II-versus-Nikon-Coolpix-A-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100___896_867_812

The RX100 series cameras have much smaller 1" sensors, like the Nikon 1 series, not an APS-C sized sensor like the Nikon Coolpix A.

And even my el-cheapo Sony Action Cam has a "Ziess" lens, which is meaningless. They are just licensing the Ziess name... it's not a true high-end Zeiss lens, which cost 4-figures.

So you see, as soon as one camera is called "best", another one can be found that is better.

Edited by awboater

Start with setting the white balance in the camera. Choose the preset that most closely matches the 'main' light in your scene, and you'll at least see more consistency in your colors (as long as you change the WB when you change lighting scenarios). Later, either shoot in RAW, use custom WB, or do both.

IF you are shooting RAW the WB setting doesn't mean squat. A simple click in a program such as Lightroom you can have what ever effect you want. But with most modern cameras auto WB does a pretty good job of getting it close.