My next cruise deserves a better camera

hulamoon

By "big old Nikon," what kind do you mean? Film? DSLR?

I'm a big proponent of the it's-not-about-the-gear approach. Whether you're shooting with an iPhone, a point-and-shoot, or a high-end DSLR, what will take you furthest is your eyes. So if you feel like you're seeing photos that are better than yours, I'd say that gear may not be the reason, and would suggest investing in education and training -- through websites and online courses (e.g. Kelby Training), books, and/or at your local schools/colleges.

(I teach photography at a community college)

It's an d7. (I also have a aw100 Nikon) have good pictures from it, but not the amazing color and sparkle people are posting. I am looking at something less bulky for the Caribbean and want to save the big Nikon for wildlife and dogs in motion photos.

Thanks for the tips on classes I will look into it.

Edited by hulamoon

I'm a big proponent of the it's-not-about-the-gear approach. Whether you're shooting with an iPhone, a point-and-shoot, or a high-end DSLR, what will take you furthest is your eyes. So if you feel like you're seeing photos that are better than yours, I'd say that gear may not be the reason, and would suggest investing in education and training -- through websites and online courses (e.g. Kelby Training), books, and/or at your local schools/colleges. (I teach photography at a community college)

Very wise, smart and thoughtful comments above from our Canada photo expert.

For recent Australia-NZ adventure on the Celebrity Solstice, I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens. It is a good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans that make the difference. It's also the skill, attention to detail and interest of the camera user. I had been using a Nikon D3100 camera that is now down to less than $300 for that body with a good and versatile 18-55mm lens.

Recently, I got a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens for lower light and other such needs/specialities, including most of the food pictures I have posted recently. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their Aperature software tools. Fairly quick and easy!! These "post" steps can be half or more of the secret for what takes a good picture to being excellent.

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Does this help? Any other questions or needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on this ship and these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 36,032 views for this fun posting.

Many of the "AMAZING" photos you see are the result of a process called HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE photography. You basically take more than one photo of a scene, from under exposed (to make the sky pop) to over exposed ( to make the shadow detail emerge) they are combined to make a photo that seems surrealistic. sometimes the colors are very over saturated as well.

Are you shooting raw with your nikon or just jpeg? try using raw and adjusting the various controls and i bet you will make a big leap forward in your photography.

as for composition, take a class at the local community college, or search online there are an infinite number of resources to help you.

I bet the camera you already have has a lot of potential, you just have to get it out of the camera. a smaller, lighter camera is not a bad thing either, if you want a new camera look at the fuji x100s for instance, a very highly rated camera that is small and easy to carry.

Best compact camera available.

Sorry; there's no such thing as a "best compact camera" any more than there's a "best compact car".

Some have better lenses, some have better zoom ranges, some have better imaging software, ditto menu system, ease of use, sensor size, etc etc etc.

On dpveview.com are several tests of sets of similar compacts; a few hours there would be worthwhile to help the OP decide on what it most important for them.

Stuart

Panasonic ZS20, with 20 times optical zoom!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Sensitivity-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZBA2

BILL

My Nikon died a few days before we boarded Millie in Nov for a 35 day trans Pacific cruise.

I bought one of these at a Honolulu Costco and it was awesome the long lens could zoom in from boats to shore.

I have some amazing shots, I bought a 32gig chip and got a lot of great video as well.

There are so many new cameras out there that it makes you head spin. As someone said, no 1 camera is best. It's what you need, like and want.

I just saw Samsung's new Galaxy camera which marries a 16.3 MP, 21X camera with the entire back being an Android tablet w/ WIFI. All the reviews seemed to be great and it's less than 1" thick for around $499. Very tempting and I'm surprised that Apple seems to have been scooped on this.

Sorry; there's no such thing as a "best compact camera" any more than there's a "best compact car".

Some have better lenses, some have better zoom ranges, some have better imaging software, ditto menu system, ease of use, sensor size, etc etc etc.

On dpveview.com are several tests of sets of similar compacts; a few hours there would be worthwhile to help the OP decide on what it most important for them.

Stuart

If you check different reviews you will find that even reviewers say it is the best compact camera available - best means "best pictures" in this case. And most reviews show the RX100 and RX100 II as the one with the best overall score.

There are no similar compacts that have such a big sensor combined with a very good Zeiss lens and an effective processor that fit in your pocket - thats the point I mentioned. I did not say "if you want THE best", i did say if you want a camera that fits into your pocket - there are lots of compact cameras that simply won't fit.

The OP should indeed specify what he wants to do with his camera, if size is a matter etc.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 with 25-600mm f/2.8 (constant) Leica lens - $398 at amazon.

Great price for a great camera. I have had mine for a year and a half and have taken over 50,000 pictures with it. Video works well too!

My personal preference these days is to carry a full featured compact point and shoot in my pocket all the time and my "luggable" SLR with three lenses for those occasions where there's time for setup (tripod, filters, angles, depth of field, etc.)

The old days - I had a Polaroid that I used for "test shots", then a nice Canon EOS (analog) film camera for the real shots and had to be careful financially because the cost of consumables and processing sometimes exceeded the cost of a cruise. Really.

These days, the digital cameras have changed everything, especially the cost of consumables, and the major expansion of creative opportunities are marvelous.

Very wise, smart and thoughtful comments above from our Canada photo expert.

For recent Australia-NZ adventure on the Celebrity Solstice, I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens. It is a good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans that make the difference. It's also the skill, attention to detail and interest of the camera user. I had been using a Nikon D3100 camera that is now down to less than $300 for that body with a good and versatile 18-55mm lens.

Recently, I got a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens for lower light and other such needs/specialities, including most of the food pictures I have posted recently. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their Aperature software tools. Fairly quick and easy!! These "post" steps can be half or more of the secret for what takes a good picture to being excellent.

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Does this help? Any other questions or needs?

Just back from doing a 14-day Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on this ship and these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 36,032 views for this fun posting.

Superb advice from someone who knows. Thank you for posting your best shots on your live from the Solstice thread.

By "big old Nikon," what kind do you mean? Film? DSLR?

I'm a big proponent of the it's-not-about-the-gear approach. Whether you're shooting with an iPhone, a point-and-shoot, or a high-end DSLR, what will take you furthest is your eyes. So if you feel like you're seeing photos that are better than yours, I'd say that gear may not be the reason, and would suggest investing in education and training -- through websites and online courses (e.g. Kelby Training), books, and/or at your local schools/colleges.

(I teach photography at a community college)

I have heard that Ansel Adams had his students use Kodak Brownie cameras to prove to them that the quality of the photographer mattered more than the quality of the camera.

Nevertheless, prior to our trip to SE Asia last February, I invested in the Canon 6D because I wanted a camera capable of doing a superb job in low light. When I say there was no noise at a speed of 1600 when shooting indoors without flash or outdoors at night, I am not kidding. I have no regrets other than the weight of the gear.

I have heard that Ansel Adams had his students use Kodak Brownie cameras to prove to them that the quality of the photographer mattered more than the quality of the camera.

Nevertheless, prior to our trip to SE Asia last February, I invested in the Canon 6D because I wanted a camera capable of doing a superb job in low light. When I say there was no noise at a speed of 1600 when shooting indoors without flash or outdoors at night, I am not kidding. I have no regrets other than the weight of the gear.

One of my students has a 6D and shoots concerts and whatnot in low light (fast lenses of course). The results are great, and the same could not be fully achieved with 'lesser' gear, at least not without noise reduction in post-processing with some (albeit less and less nowadays) loss of detail.

Speaking of post-processing and Ansel Adams, something that dates back to his time and before... The big difference is that we have so much more at our fingertips with digital means, and sometimes it's taken too far. Nonetheless, I encourage people to shoot in raw (getting it right, or as 'right as possible' in camera) and finish (not fix) images in post. Going back to the "color and sparkle" to which the OP refers, this can be a helpful step in the process.

Thanks everyone,

I have a lot to digest here. I have done pretty well with shots. Taking thousands of moving wildlife photos. Endless photos of famous buildings and sites. Probably room for improvement but many I am proud of. I was less satisfied with the all weather snorkel Nikon for shore duty.

My post camera skills are none existent. I am not sure how to enhance color and get some of those awesome but not exactly realistic, but yet they way you wish you saw it photos. Lol

And I think I also want a smaller camera for shore and ship shots.

Good to know CC has dedicated space for photos.

My first camera was a brownie. Lol

Edited by hulamoon

My post camera skills are none existent. I am not sure how to enhance color and get some of those awesome but not exactly realistic, but yet they way you wish you saw it photos.

Start with setting the white balance in the camera. Choose the preset that most closely matches the 'main' light in your scene, and you'll at least see more consistency in your colors (as long as you change the WB when you change lighting scenarios). Later, either shoot in RAW, use custom WB, or do both.

Thanks everyone, I have a lot to digest here. I have done pretty well with shots. Taking thousands of moving wildlife photos. Endless photos of famous buildings and sites. Probably room for improvement but many I am proud of. I was less satisfied with the all weather snorkel Nikon for shore duty. My post camera skills are none existent. I am not sure how to enhance color and get some of those awesome but not exactly realistic, but yet they way you wish you saw it photos. Lol And I think I also want a smaller camera for shore and ship shots. Good to know CC has dedicated space for photos. My first camera was a brownie. Lol

emileg: Superb advice from someone who knows. Thank you for posting your best shots on your live from the Solstice thread.

Host Walt: My personal preference these days is to carry a full featured compact point and shoot in my pocket all the time and my "luggable" SLR with three lenses for those occasions where there's time for setup (tripod' date=' filters, angles, depth of field, etc.) The old days - I had a Polaroid that I used for "test shots", then a nice Canon EOS (analog) film camera for the real shots and had to be careful financially because the cost of consumables and processing sometimes exceeded the cost of a cruise. Really. These days, the[b'] digital cameras have changed everything[/b], especially the cost of consumables, and the major expansion of creative opportunities are marvelous.

wf083145: There are so many new cameras out there that it makes you head spin. As someone said' date=' [b']no 1 camera is best[/b]. It's what you need, like and want.

Appreciate the follow-up and the honest "confessions" in several areas by hulamoon. WOW!, mentioning a "brownie" does date you. That's even before the Kodak Instamatic! As I mentioned and encouraged earlier, those "post" steps on your laptop make a huge difference. When you have time to consider how to fine-tune the cropping, lighting, contrast, etc., it can really make a hugely positive improvement. Lots of excellent, added suggestions from YOW, etc.

Like the nice "shout-out" from emileg. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

The Nikon AW110 that I used for underwater pictures at the Aussie Great Barrier Reef, also did a very good job with regular pictures. Below are a couple of examples that I did on Feb. 9 right before departing from Hawaii's Big Island to return to the cold, windy, snowy Midwest/Ohio. That camera does not have a bigger RAW file, but it can work well, too!!

As correctly noted by Host Walt, digital has changed EVERYTHING!!! Embrace the opportunities. Lots of great cameras and equipment out there. I have always liked Nikon, but many other brands offers some super options, also. As Nike says . . . Just Do IT!! Don't wait too long and/or confuse yourself hoping for the "perfect" camera.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on this ship and these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 36,335 views for this fun posting.

Here is where we were mid-day for Sunday, Feb. 9, on the Hawaii Big Island at the pools of the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort. I used my Nikon AW110 waterproof camera (last used at Great Barrier Reef) to capture these fun images. Tested all three pools, did the waterslide downward, etc. It's hard work to check out such challenging locations. It was another perfect weather that day!! Ohio now is not that sunny or warm.:

BigIslandDepartA1_zps820ac087.jpg

BigIslandDepartA_zps69d2a9f8.jpg

Thanks for the pictures of my former place of business Terry. I have enjoyed your posted pictures many times. I am not sure I understand what an honest confession is. Why not be honest?

I am actually not that old. But if I were, would it be so bad?

Thanks for the pictures of my former place of business Terry. I have enjoyed your posted pictures many times. I am not sure I understand what an honest confession is. Why not be honest? I am actually not that old. But if I were, would it be so bad?

Appreciate the great follow-up from Sharie. Being "experienced" is super good. That's my story and I am sticking to "IT"! Glad to know you work at that Marriott on the Big Island. Loved that part of Hawaii.

On being honest, some are. BUT, a few get into "denial" about certain realities. Knowing where you need to improve is an important first step. Good luck in your work to improve those photo and computer skills. Fun things to do and where we can all learn so much more.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,693 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923