chip and pin

riandei

I know I read some threads here regarding chip and pin credit cards.

as the search function is unavailable .....

We are sailing on Azamara Quest in May of 2014.

We will land in FCO and will be needing cash to pay our driver.

Can I use the ATM at FCO to obtain cash ? Is it unwise to do so ?

does anyone have a chip and pin that has been issued by a US bank ?

thanks for any info

Click here for the most recent thread.

You can use your debit card to obtain cash from an ATM at the airport. We always use a bank-owned ATM if possible.

There are US financial institutions that issue chip & pin credit cards. Some are mentioned in the above referenced thread.

Lew

I know I read some threads here regarding chip and pin credit cards.

as the search function is unavailable .....

We are sailing on Azamara Quest in May of 2014.

We will land in FCO and will be needing cash to pay our driver.

Can I use the ATM at FCO to obtain cash ? Is it unwise to do so ?

does anyone have a chip and pin that has been issued by a US bank ?

thanks for any info

You should not have a problem using an ATM at FCO with a regular US-type debit card, and there's not any particular reason why it would be unwise. As always, it's a good idea to make it difficult for anyone to see your pin, etc.

It's not ATM machines (at least not so far) that have been the problem for those without chip and pin cards -- it is the unmanned ticket kiosks, gas pumps, toll booths, etc that are a problem.

So far, in all of our European travels (which is pretty extensive) we have never had an issue using a regular magnetic strip Debit card at ATMs. The Chip/PIN issue (and it has become a major issue) has to do with credit card use in various places.

As to US Banks that issue Chip/PIN cards, one suspects that we will soon see many of these cards issued in the USA. But for now, there are only a few US institutions that issue true Chip/PIN cards. We do have one issued by Andrews Federal Credit Union...who does this because they have many customers (mostly military and civilian contractors) who live and work in Europe.

Hank

You should not have a problem using an ATM at FCO with a regular US-type debit card, and there's not any particular reason why it would be unwise. As always, it's a good idea to make it difficult for anyone to see your pin, etc.

It's not ATM machines (at least not so far) that have been the problem for those without chip and pin cards -- it is the unmanned ticket kiosks, gas pumps, toll booths, etc that are a problem.

Can you use a debit card at those unmanned locations if a credit card won't work?

Can you use a debit card at those unmanned locations if a credit card won't work?

As a general rule NO. All the various ticket vending, automatic gas pumps, parking lot ticket dispensers, some automatic garages, etc. only work with a Chip card that is compatible with the EMV system. There might be some older machines around that will take a magnetic strip card...but we have not encountered one in several years.

Hank

Thanks for the information. I thought that maybe because the debit card needs a pin, it might work. I have a couple of "chipped" cards, but they are "chip and sign", not "chip and pin". Evidently useless in Europe for unmanned locations.

Always read in the past that it was fairly easy for unscrupulous folks to attach some type of "readers" onto the ATM and grab some of your info. Anyone know about this? This has always made us very hesitant to use ATM machines and debit cards.

Always read in the past that it was fairly easy for unscrupulous folks to attach some type of "readers" onto the ATM and grab some of your info. Anyone know about this? This has always made us very hesitant to use ATM machines and debit cards.

Yes, this can happen -- in Europe or the US or anywhere else. But it's not very common. If it were, you'd find very few people willing to take such a risk. Of course you'll hear about people from time to time who got scammed. But the vast majority who use ATMs (anywhere) never encounter any problem. I've used ATMs regularly for travel in and outside the US for at least the past 15 years with no problem.

Your best bet is to use an ATM that is clearly associated with a bank and if possible is located inside the bank. Never let anyone see your pin number. Even if you are alone, best to cover the keypad with one hand while you input the number.

This has become a problem world-wide including in the USA. You can Google(ATM Skimmers) to learn more about the issue and even find some online sites that will show you what to look for and how to minimize your risk. Personally, we prefer to stick with bank owned ATMs located in busy areas (preferably at a bank) and avoid using the independent owned ATMs. We have seen a few online posts (and know somebody who had it happen in Mexico) and they got their money back from their bank. Of course it did mean they needed a new ATM card as the bank quickly voided the old card.

Some basic precautions can also go a long way to helping. Whenever I use a walk-up ATM I have DW watching my back. I also am always careful to hold something (or my hand) over my hand as I type in my PIN (some of the scams involve using a hidden camera to record your PIN).

Hank