Travel insurance

Ken Greco

If you buy travel insurance for a cruise and you cancel the cruise prior to the first deadline and you get all your cruise deposit back can you get the travel insurance portion back also?

You pay nothing towards your cruise except your initial deposit. If you cancel prior to final, you will get your initial deposit back.

Edit to add. If you have RCI Cruise Care added to your booking, and cancel prior to final you are not charged. If you have purchased insurance independently, then that is something you would have to ask your insurance company about.

Edited by cruisenfever

Not sure about that but I'll tell you this. I had a cruise back in January that I had to cancel the day of the cruise due to my daughter becoming ill. I got everything back except the insurance.

Wouldn't that be because you used the insurance to reimburse you for the cruise.

Not sure about that but I'll tell you this. I had a cruise back in January that I had to cancel the day of the cruise due to my daughter becoming ill. I got everything back except the insurance.

of course you would not get that back. It reimbursed the cruise cost

If your house burns down you don't get reimbursed for the insurance cost

Edited by SeaUs

I don't believe you would ever get back the insurance premium you have paid for your vacation...regardless....If there is a company out there that gives it back to you I would love to know this .

I had to cancel several and received a voucher for the value that I could apply to a future cruise. Looks like they woul dhave given a refund if within 15 days of effective day of policy but they did at least give the voucher whihc is good for 2 years.

Thank you for your request. We have reviewed your request for a premium refund. It is our policy that all premium refund requests must be submitted within 15 days of the effective date of the policy, however, we are pleased to offer you a travel insurance credit voucher in the amount of $274.

This voucher is valid for two years toward the transfer of your original premium to an alternate travel insurance policy. This voucher must be redeemed through the original travel agency listed. If the premium of your future policy is less than the value of your voucher, a refund or additional voucher will not be provided.

The cruise line's own insurance is often cheaper than what we might buy through a separate company, but not nearly as comprehensive. But yes it is refundable prior to final payment.

If I buy a travel insurance policy from another company,( like Travel Guard, Travelex, HTH etc) and buy my airfare on my own, (often cheaper than the cruise line) and buy the hotel through Priceline (also cheaper) the policy will cover all that. It may even include other extras. The cruise line policy will not.

Like mentioned above, the premium is not refundable, after the initial (usually 10 days) review period (chance to read the fine print), but they do let your change the date of the vacation to another when you can go (within reasonable time frame).

Edited by Gayle V

• 3 months later...
The cruise line's own insurance is often cheaper than what we might buy through a separate company, but not nearly as comprehensive. But yes it is refundable prior to final payment.

If I buy a travel insurance policy from another company,( like Travel Guard, Travelex, HTH etc) and buy my airfare on my own, (often cheaper than the cruise line) and buy the hotel through Priceline (also cheaper) the policy will cover all that. It may even include other extras. The cruise line policy will not.

Like mentioned above, the premium is not refundable, after the initial (usually 10 days) review period (chance to read the fine print), but they do let your change the date of the vacation to another when you can go (within reasonable time frame).

RCI cruise care does cover independently booked airfare. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V2.pdf