Spirit Itinerary Changer - Letter from NCL

rhinomike

This is what I received by email yesterday afternoon:

IMPORTANT: ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners, Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Jade's 7-Day and 14-Day Adriatic, Greece & Turkey sailings from Venice, Italy from May 10, 2014 to October 11, 2014. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of the change and travel professionals are kindly asked to forward this information to their clients.

In order to enhance the guest experience in Turkey, the previously scheduled call to Izmir will be changed to Kusadasi, arriving at 8 am and departing at 5 pm. Kusadasi is only minutes from Ephesus, allowing guests to spend additional time on site.

If you booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Izmir, your reservations will be automatically cancelled. Shore excursions for Kusadasi will be available for booking starting Friday, February 28. Please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Should you have any general questions regarding your cruise, please call us at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8 am to midnight ET or Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 9 pm ET and a Norwegian Cruise Line representative will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding Senior Vice President, Passenger Services

Just for those doing sailings - Venice to Barcelona May 6th till November 14th 2014 , I just received my 2nd email with time change 7am -2pm not 9am as in original email .

That's a much better time! I think I will still do the private tour - 9:00-2:00 was just cutting it too close! Thanks for the update.

Something we are interested to do... but checking on Google Maps shows an one-way transit time of approx. 4 hours.

Regards

HeinBloed

That's odd, I found it at 2h37 mins: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Kusadasi,+Turkey&daddr=Pamukkale,+Turkey&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.425119,118.564453&geocode=FUG7QQId8QKgASknVGqVK6m-FDH0Lg8QXXKb2A%3BFUiaQgIdkDS8ASkv2iBWyRPHFDHW_B5FXw8ZsQ&oq=pamuk&mra=ls&t=m&z=10 and I've never taken as long as Google Maps predicts,

because it's based on the speed limit... which I might (perhaps) occasionally surpass. ;)

Edited by sjbdtz

Setting aside the issues of NCL informing guests we have been to Kusadasi twice now on cruises. The port has more of a holiday feel and the cruise terminal has been purpose built. The surrounding area is nice to walk around. There are shops close to the port.

On our first visit a few years ago we found the shopkeepers to be very persistent and quite aggressive. On our visit last year we found it a more enjoyable experience and they seemed to have eased their attitude towards shoppers. We did notice some people who treated them with little respect received similar treatment back but we didn't have any problems at all.

I don't remember Ephesus being minutes away however I don't believe it was a long trip and it is certainly not to be missed. I hope everyone who now has Kusadasi on their itinerary enjoys what the area has to offer - as we did.

As of today (March 1st) there are still no shore excursions for Kusadasi shown on my NCL. It must be taking longer than they thought to arrange them. Hopefully by next week. Since I had booked an NCL Izmir excursion, I will have to call their shorex dept. to rebook a new Kusadasi excursion with the amount of the old one credited to it. Or if I don't do that, I would have to apply for a credit card refund. It's weird because on the shore excursion pages on the NCL website it says on the sidebar that "if you miss an excursion due to an itinerary change, we will either rebook a new excursion or credit your onboard account". If we decide to just do Kusadasi on our own, I would rather have OBC than have to apply for a refund.

Ephesus Deluxe was happy to rebook the tour from Kusadasi previously booked from Izmir. So we have at least four slots available at $50 each. (Sorry if this is a repeat. My wireless keyboard has been giving me more trouble than it is worth.)

Kusadasi can be more stressful than Izmir.

Street touts and bazaar hawkers are amongst the most aggressive in Europe, they will do anything for a sale.

This is one of the ports I would always be vigilant.