Should we or not.....

nanaj1

How good is the pre booking of cruises, while on board.

There are benefits of booking a cruise whilst on board, and the only way to do it would be to log onto the internet (which is admittedly free).

What they do have are Future Cruise Credits, which are worth $250 but only cost $150. They can be used as a deposit on a future cruise, even if a higher deposit would normally be required (except for some high end suites).

We bought a future cruise credit on Epic. We started looking at cruises about a month ago for the 3 of us, decided the one that we wanted, selected our cabin online, and then called in to NCL within 24 hours to place the deposit (as required). When we called, they asked if we wanted to apply our FCC, and we did. That held our room for 3 people, instead of requiring a deposit from each of us (which I think would have been $375, if I'm not mistaken). Pretty nice!

You mean, they don't have a Latitudes rep who can do this onboard for you???

Forgive me, but I find that odd.

I received a form with my edocs that I was planning to use to place the deposit--- it simply says "Put a deposit of $250 onboard and receive $100 OBC, blah, blah,....". I'm interested in the Jade, for 2015 in the Med.

I received a form with my edocs that I was planning to use to place the deposit--- it simply says "Put a deposit of $250 onboard and receive $100 OBC, blah, blah,....". I'm interested in the Jade, for 2015 in the Med.

I am glad that they don't have a rep. I suspect that someone could be a little "too happy," book a cruise and once home decide that they did not want that ship, or that location, or that date. Getting a FCC to use in 4 years is only sensible. We always have at least one FCC ready to book when we want to book.

That is correct. You will likely be inundated with reminders on board that you can purchase this Future Cruise Credit and the Latitudes (Loyalty Ambassador) will be one of many who promotes them on board. But they do not directly hard sell you on signing up for a particular cruise date/ship. In fact, they won't really do that for you. Get the Future Cruise Credit and then once back home, do your research and make your own choice when you want to. You have 4 years to sail.

That is correct. You will likely be inundated with reminders on board that you can purchase this Future Cruise Credit and the Latitudes (Loyalty Ambassador) will be one of many who promotes them on board. But they do not directly hard sell you on signing up for a particular cruise date/ship. In fact, they won't really do that for you. Get the Future Cruise Credit and then once back home, do your research and make your own choice when you want to. You have 4 years to sail.

Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

And, just to be clear, the $100 OBC is for the cruise you are currently on when purchasing the FCC - not the future cruise you would take when you use your FCC as a deposit.

Edited by rpb718

And, just to be clear, the $100 OBC is for the cruise you are currently on when purchasing the FCC - not the future cruise you would take when you use your FCC as a deposit.

Yes, thank you ...it does say on the form. I appreciate your response.

So how you do it is to buy your $250 future credit when you get abourd your cruise next month. This gets charged to your onboard account, along with a $100 OBC--so net $150. Then when you get home, you book your 2015 Jade cruise with the $250 credit as deposit--and it will count for the full deposit, except in suites. Sail on Jade--lather, rise, repeat...:D. Works all too well! (As I found again last night...:o)

But no--they won't sit down with you and directly book your next cruise onboard.

Oh, and to answer your title question: Yes, you should!

Edited by quercus alba

Are there any restrictions at all with these, or are they "same as cash"? By restriction I am talking about thing like not getting OBC deals, not being eligible for free category upgrades, and things like that. I know there is a 4 year time limit, but is that the only limitation? Does anyone know when they stop selling them? Are the available up to the last day of the cruise or only specific times? Thanks for the help.

Are there any restrictions at all with these, or are they "same as cash"? By restriction I am talking about thing like not getting OBC deals, not being eligible for free category upgrades, and things like that. I know there is a 4 year time limit, but is that the only limitation? Does anyone know when they stop selling them? Are the available up to the last day of the cruise or only specific times? Thanks for the help.

No, no restrictions as you're talking about. We got ours in Dec. and have booked a cruise in Sept. 2015... we chose to book a balcony.. because the cruise is 12 days, not 7, it would have been $400 but we only had to use the FCC and it covered the deposit. There are no restrictions as far as upgrades, OBC or other deals. I saw pax going to buy them up to the last full day of our cruise, they're very popular.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I do want to be sure you understand that the $100 OBC they talk about is really just used to reduce the amount you pay for the FCC from $250 to $150.

As far as the 4 year limit goes, yes they're pretty strict, but you have options even there, sell the FCC, or ask NCL for an extension, or book a cruise using it, then change it later, although I'd rather sell it, that's the easiest way if necessary. JMHO

Hope this helps,

No, no restrictions as you're talking about. We got ours in Dec. and have booked a cruise in Sept. 2015... we chose to book a balcony.. because the cruise is 12 days, not 7, it would have been $400 but we only had to use the FCC and it covered the deposit. There are no restrictions as far as upgrades, OBC or other deals. I saw pax going to buy them up to the last full day of our cruise, they're very popular.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I do want to be sure you understand that the $100 OBC they talk about is really just used to reduce the amount you pay for the FCC from $250 to $150.

As far as the 4 year limit goes, yes they're pretty strict, but you have options even there, sell the FCC, or ask NCL for an extension, or book a cruise using it, then change it later, although I'd rather sell it, that's the easiest way if necessary. JMHO

Hope this helps,

This is perfect. Sometimes you buy things like these and they put so many restrictions on them they become next to useless. Sounds like a good deal. This is my first NCL cruise in about a decade so I want to experience the cruise before I decide to do another with NCL, so these being for sale till the end of the week is important to me. Thanks for the help.

6&8

So how you do it is to buy your $250 future credit when you get abourd your cruise next month. This gets charged to your onboard account, along with a $100 OBC--so net $150. Then when you get home, you book your 2015 Jade cruise with the $250 credit as deposit--and it will count for the full deposit, except in suites. Sail on Jade--lather, rise, repeat...:D. Works all too well! (As I found again last night...:o)

But no--they won't sit down with you and directly book your next cruise onboard.

Oh, and to answer your title question: Yes, you should!

thank you very much for this...very helpful!

I'm not the OP but I was concerned about this also. I guess I'm a little old fashioned because I like to have a person in front of me to transact business....I have been using the same TA for 15 years (and she's awesome.) She did call me this morning and left a message to not be afraid to do this and then call her when I got back. Her message, plus your answer helped alot . Thank you very much again.

Med cruise on the Jade here I come in 2015!!! (This is such an awesome deal! )

This is perfect. Sometimes you buy things like these and they put so many restrictions on them they become next to useless. Sounds like a good deal. This is my first NCL cruise in about a decade so I want to experience the cruise before I decide to do another with NCL, so these being for sale till the end of the week is important to me. Thanks for the help.

6&8

I'm in the same boat as you (sorry...couldn't help it.) NCL has been trying to get me back for about 11 years....following me from address to address...LOL...sending me letters, sending me brochures...sending me "personal" invitations (from PR department...LOL) This is such a good deal, I can hardly believe it and that's why I'm so skeptical....it sounds too good to be true . But I had a phone call from my TA this morning and she followed up with a full length email about this. That, plus the answers I got here, are very re-assuring. I am sailing on the Star in 2 weeks and this might be the very first thing I do, besides lunch at Versailles. LOL

There are some restrictions.

If you have bought it on a cruise you booked in the US and find a superdeal in for example United Kingdom you can not use it because you have it in $ and the superdeal shall be paid for with £. Probably not a likely scenario but possible.

I once bought a FCC on a cruise I had booked from NCL in United Kingdom and when I should book my next cruise they first said no because my new cruise should be paid for with euro. They finally did changed my FCC from pound to euro so that I could use it but they told me that it had been impossible to change from or to dollar.

When I booked my coming cruise I couldn't use my FCC for deposit, it will be used when I pay the rest of the fare.

How good is the pre booking of cruises, while on board.

Don't do it. I hated being locked into a single cruise line with an expiration date hanging over my head. There are always good deals around.