Please sign the petition for Carnival to bring back the reggae/calypso bands

ShanteS

It's possible. But there's a huge difference between Royal and Carnival. Royal charges more and allocates more towards entertainment, including better quality bands. That's their "claim to fame"; entertainment that "wows" you.

Unfortunately for those discerning cruisers who appreciate quality, Carnival will sacrifice some of that quality and variety in order to keep prices low, which is why this thread even exists. Quality entertainment and budget prices don't quite go hand in hand.

So what's going to happen? Either Carnival execs will say "Nah, that costs too much, lets just keep the DJ", or they'll say "Let's bring the band back, but let's cut something somewhere else....quietly".

Ah...economic reality! :)

Unfortunately that sort off thing doesn't go down well on this board

where we want all of the plusses but none of the minuses!

*sigh* I LOVE the fact that we have so many Carnival "experts" here. It always makes for interesting conversation...bottom line is this, it's alllll speculation!! All we can do is wait and see. And when it comes to me myself, I have no problem whatsoever spending extra for something I really want or for quality. Prior to my 2013 cruise I hadn't been on a cruise in 2007 and I was shocked by how much everything had changed. It was still a great cruise but it wasn't "the best time of my life" like my previous cruises were and that was due in part to the lack of entertainment. If they never bring back the live bands then I know I'll eventually take my money elsewhere because it is important to me and all of the 261 people that signed the petition (their comments on the petition says it all). In the mean time, I'll enjoy my two upcoming cruises and see what happens. *shrug*

Anyway thanks to everyone who signed. We're up to 261 signatures which is pretty good if you ask me. I like the idea of having a group that can play a multitude of different genres and I would also have NO problem with reggae/calypso band playing at the Aft pool. I guarantee you the Aft pool area would be at capacity. :)

Edited by ShanteS

People want the Waldorf Astoria experience but only want to pay Motel 6 prices.:rolleyes:

I'd be for it if they had live music on the Lido that included some Steel Drum songs in their repertoire.

But I fully support NOT having an all Steel Drum band on the cruise.

It's been stated plenty of times throughout this thread that we are not asking that they scrap ALL entertainment and ONLY have steel drum/reggae music for cruises. Not only is that ridiculous and unreasonable but it would eventually get on everyone's nerves too. If you signed it, thanks!

so i'm suppose to pay extra because some people want the steel drums back. really? i don't think so. smh...... but i do remember reading on jh's fb that the beards will NOT bring them back. the dj doesn't play all the music i don't want to hear but guess what i do? listen to the music i have on my phone and it doesn't cost me a thing nor does it make anyone upset. (smh while mumbling to myself) *man i swear. first world problems worrying about some steel drums*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People want the Waldorf Astoria experience but only want to pay Motel 6 prices.:rolleyes:
Yes, but these folks are entitled to the stuff they demand for ten bucks.

Next thing. Two hundred and sixty-one signatures!! :eek:

Now that's going to impress the Carnival Corporation at headquarters in Miami! :D

I'm thinking you guys should strive to get more like 26,100 signatures

before the Corp. take your expensive wants into consideration.

Has anyone considered how much it costs the cruise-line(and consequently YOU)

to house and feed a whole band-full of musicians, on a ship?

Edited by Aplmac

I enjoyed hearing the music on the Lido but I would rather Carnival bring back the 7 piece theater band on all ships. We missed that on the Breeze last year. Looking forward to having the band on the Dream in May. :)

*sigh* I LOVE the fact that we have so many Carnival "experts" here. :)

Although there are indeed a lot of "armchair execs" here, and as you say, a lot of speculation, there are also lot of of people on these boards that may have a bit more inside knowledge and true expertise than they'll ever publicly admit to.

So don't assume that "it's all speculation". :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Although there are indeed a lot of "armchair execs" here, and as you say, a lot of speculation, there are also lot of of people on these boards that may have a bit more inside knowledge and true expertise than they'll ever publicly admit to.

It's unfortunate they don't post more. I'm tired of seeing threads with 40 people and 40 different answers to a simple question. We have 20 threads a day about Cheers! and FTTF and wrong information is still constantly posted.

People don't post facts anymore. They post their opinion. For example, just because you do not like it, per Carnival policy, jeans can be worn in the MDR on cruise casual evenings.

I believe this philosophy is embraced by multitudes that are not on this board as well.

It's been stated plenty of times throughout this thread that we are not asking that they scrap ALL entertainment and ONLY have steel drum/reggae music for cruises. Not only is that ridiculous and unreasonable but it would eventually get on everyone's nerves too. If you signed it, thanks!

ShanteS, I signed a couple of days ago. Can you tell me what "500 needed" for the number of petitions signed, on the change.org Petition site, means?

I enjoyed hearing the music on the Lido but I would rather Carnival bring back the 7 piece theater band on all ships. We missed that on the Breeze last year. Looking forward to having the band on the Dream in May. :)

Last January The Dream had a 7 piece band every night in the theater ,

Last January The Dream had a 7 piece band every night in the theater ,

The Dream is next up for me and I must admit am am looking forward to this as much as the potential return of the reggae bands.

It's funny Carnival can afford to provide quality entertainment on some ships but not others. (We were on Valor last year and they also had the theatre band and a reggae band.)

It seems to be slipping away. I guess it's "get it while you can." Book a cruise on a ship that still has the "old" entertainment, the "old" MDR menu and the "old" productions while you still can. I am.

After reading most of these post it occurred to me that we spend wayyyyy less time on lido deck (drinking foo foo drinks) than we used to. There is no longer anything to draw us there and keep our attention. The stuff the DJ plays is all the same stuff we hear at home on the radio. We go on a Caribbean cruise for a different experience, and that includes giving us a taste of the Caribbean through their music.

I feel a petition is futile. If it were as easy as charging everyone an extra $5 to defray the costs it would have been done. Who would know if they were charging an extra $5 anyway? I have a feeling its some other reason. I don't know what that reason is though. I would be shocked if the bands ever come back. Since I haven't cruised any other line in my last 7-8 cruises I wasn't aware some of the others still had the bands. Maybe its time to 'vote' with my wallet and go back to Royal Caribbean.

By the way $5 per person on a 3500 passenger ship would be $17,500. I would think that could pay for a really good band for a week.

After reading most of these post it occurred to me that we spend wayyyyy less time on lido deck (drinking foo foo drinks) than we used to. There is no longer anything to draw us there and keep our attention. The stuff the DJ plays is all the same stuff we hear at home on the radio. We go on a Caribbean cruise for a different experience, and that includes giving us a taste of the Caribbean through their music.

I feel a petition is futile. If it were as easy as charging everyone an extra $5 to defray the costs it would have been done. Who would know if they were charging an extra $5 anyway? I have a feeling its some other reason. I don't know what that reason is though. I would be shocked if the bands ever come back. Since I haven't cruised any other line in my last 7-8 cruises I wasn't aware some of the others still had the bands. Maybe its time to 'vote' with my wallet and go back to Royal Caribbean.

By the way $5 per person on a 3500 passenger ship would be $17,500. I would think that could pay for a really good band for a week.

You finished by making my rebuttal to your contention. In other words, I don't see any financial reason why they can't provide a live Caribbean band.

I think someone gave them studies indicating that DJs would bring them more passengers. If so, they may now be reconsidering.

We'll see.

Yes, but these folks are entitled to the stuff they demand for ten bucks.

Next thing. Two hundred and sixty-one signatures!! :eek:

Now that's going to impress the Carnival Corporation at headquarters in Miami! :D

I'm thinking you guys should strive to get more like 26,100 signatures

before the Corp. take your expensive wants into consideration.

Has anyone considered how much it costs the cruise-line(and consequently YOU)

to house and feed a whole band-full of musicians, on a ship?

Well the petition obviously caught their attention and we had less than we do now which is 281 signatures. :) We know how much YOU hate it but there are many of us who do like the live bands and miss it. We've had numerous discussions about it here and instead of having yet another conversation about it and no solution I decided to be proactive about it and so far it seems to have worked and that's all we wanted.

So don't assume that "it's all speculation". :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well that very well maybe true but it's still all speculation to me until I see it with my own eyes or its officially announced by Carnival or John Heald (and even then sometimes his information isn't accurate). *shrug*

I believe this philosophy is embraced by multitudes that are not on this board as well.

ShanteS, I signed a couple of days ago. Can you tell me what "500 needed" for the number of petitions signed, on the change.org Petition site, means?

Nothing happens once we reach 500 sigs, I guess they just consider it a major milestone or accomplishment. They had it at 100 sigs when the petition began and once 100 sigs was reached it went up to 200 sigs needed and now its at 500.

I considered the fact that this petition could possibly still NOT work but I'd rather have tried than done nothing at all. It's ridiculous how many discussions and polls about this very topic I've read and/or participated and something in me just got fed up with it on Thursday. Enough talking about it, let's try and do something about it. I love Carnival and aside from this I have no other complaints. I'm familiar with Carnival, I know how things operate with them and I'd have to "learn" a new line. I don't want to go anywhere else just yet but I will eventually if this is just something they're not willing to provide anymore because it's an important part of my cruise experience. I'll pay the "Waldorf-Astoria" prices if I feel it's worth it.

You finished by making my rebuttal to your contention. In other words, I don't see any financial reason why they can't provide a live Caribbean band.

I think someone gave them studies indicating that DJs would bring them more passengers. If so, they may now be reconsidering.

We'll see.

Yes we shall see. I'm hoping and hoping we can get what we want, if not a band that plays at different venues and times around the ship during a cruise, for at least the embarkation and/or sailaway. Like a previous poster said above, we too don't spend as much time on Lido as we used to. When they had the live bands on Lido I could spend HOURS out there and the drinks were always flowing. Yes they'd have to spend money to house and feed a band but they'd also earn additional revenue too.

I enjoyed the steel drum bands, but I also enjoy listening to the music that I have on my phone so that I can listen to what I want to listen to.

But listening to music on your phone (which ONLY YOU can hear) does not lend itself to a party atmosphere on the pool deck, which is the whole point.