luggage weights

bandmp

We are new to Cunard, and just received our info packet for May cruise. I noticed that luggage must not exceed 20kg. YIKES - that is less than airlines permit. Is Cunard strict regarding this policy?

:eek:Mary

I've never known them to be and I cannot understand how they could possibly enforce it. I believe that they have to set a level for Health and Safety reasons only. By the time someone picks up your suitcase and is anywhere near a scale, which I have never seen anyway, you are a speck in the distance and uncontactable. Don't worry about it.

We are new to Cunard, and just received our info packet for May cruise. I noticed that luggage must not exceed 20kg. YIKES - that is less than airlines permit. Is Cunard strict regarding this policy?

No. Our nearly 30kg suitcase arrived in our QM2 cabin at the same time as our lighter ones. If the curb-side porters can lift your luggage onto their carts, you're good to go. At least that's been true a dozen times in NYC, our only embark/disembark port so far.

I have to agree with pmb1 and the good cap'n. Unless your case was REALLY, stupidly, over-weight (such that your average, not-quite-as-fit-as-used-to-be, passenger couldn't lift it in and out of a car/taxi without two people to help :eek: ), you'll be fine.

I've also never seen scales used (either in Southampton or New York). Have a great time :) .

What are they going todo if the bas is overweight, send you home?

David.

Supposedly you may be called down to repack your bag - perhaps to carry the excess in your arms? I don't see how they could find you to do that, actually, unless a message was sent to your room.

I think it's a good safeguard for Cunard in case someone decided to bring in 50 kg trunk.

Mary, unless you're flying then I think you'll find that the limit applies to EACH case but you can take as many cases as you want to :)

Gill

Edited by Gilpet

I've never known them to be and I cannot understand how they could possibly enforce it. I believe that they have to set a level for Health and Safety reasons only. By the time someone picks up your suitcase and is anywhere near a scale, which I have never seen anyway, you are a speck in the distance and uncontactable. Don't worry about it.

I always decide if I cannot lift it ,then why should I expect anyone else to.

That is still a fairly hefty amount to have to fill up. I constantly over pack and have never been overweight yet.

Make sure you have lightweight case. We have trip ones, which at the time we purchased them were the lightest around.

You can get really really lightweight ones, but I would not go with them (nylon round a frame)

Smart packing is the way to go-cut down on shoes...Black and or beige ones will cover most colours. If you want to take toiletries , buy them airside.

If you are going from Southampton that each of your cases can be up to 20kg. I think I read on here a few years ago of someone taking 14 cases onboard!!!!!!

When I arrived in Southampton this past January, I counted fifteen bags for one passenger... Well, the was only one person walking behind the porter who was pushing the cart. I used the White Star service and there was a limit on each bag - bags were being sent via FedEx... I took much more than I needed but I didn't go over any limits with three bags - four if you count what I managed to get into a 'carry on.'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I arrived in Southampton this past January, I counted fifteen bags for one passenger... Well, the was only one person walking behind the porter who was pushing the cart. I used the White Star service and there was a limit on each bag - bags were being sent via FedEx... I took much more than I needed but I didn't go over any limits with three bags - four if you count what I managed to get into a 'carry on.'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

15 bags for one person? How did they manage to fit everything in only 15?!

When I arrived in Southampton this past January, I counted fifteen bags for one passenger... Well, the was only one person walking behind the porter who was pushing the cart.

Now that must be someon like me! When I parked my car at Southampton and was taken in a mini-bus to the ship, I was the one who watched all the luggage being taken out of the mini-bus and walked with it to make sure that MY case was not left in the bus and that it was put on the conveyor belt. There is a time and a place to make sure of things - and following your luggage to the ship is one of those occasions for me.

;)

Now that must be someon like me! When I parked my car at Southampton and was taken in a mini-bus to the ship, I was the one who watched all the luggage being taken out of the mini-bus and walked with it to make sure that MY case was not left in the bus and that it was put on the conveyor belt. There is a time and a place to make sure of things - and following your luggage to the ship is one of those occasions for me.

;)

VERY sensible.

(A few years back a honeymoon couple disembarked QM2 in New York and loaded their cases onto a coach that was conveying passengers (incl me) and luggage to a 7th Ave. hotel. They did not tell anyone that they were not intending to board the coach. They then got into a taxi and went to see the sights of New York. While they were having a great time, the coach went to a Sheraton Hotel (mine and, as it happens, theirs as well) where passengers claimed their luggage... except they were not there to identify their cases. So the coach then went on to a few other hotels around midtown, dropping passengers and their luggage where needed. When the couple returned to the hotel their luggage was nowhere to be seen. Cunard allowed them to buy clothes and essentials of course (a generous sum was involved so I remember). There was talk of the cases having been re-loaded onto QM2 and going onwards to New England and Canada for a little cruise. Later the cases were found... in the lobby of a different Sheraton Hotel where they had been keeping themselves company quite undisturbed for two days. They were reunited with their owners (which I witnessed) as they (and me) left for the airport and the flight back to the UK).

Again, you are VERY sensible :) .

Edited by pepperrn

• 1 month later...
Don't worry about the bag weight! It is determine by your airline carrying allowance (usually 50 Lb/bag) and not by the cruise liner.

If you are a risk taker, then by all means follow this advice. However, the luggage instructions from Cunard clearly state:

"The weight of each piece of individual luggage should not exceed 20kg. to ensure ease of handling.

If an individual piece of luggage exceeds 20kg, you will be delayed at embarkation, and may be asked to remove items or re-pack your bags. You may also find that your luggage is delayed at disembarkation, if your bags exceed this weight.

Note: You may bring as many bags as you can comfortably fit in your stateroom"

Personally, I'm not willing to risk it and will just take an extra small bag to keep all of our bags within the Cunard specified weight limit of 20kg/44lbs.

Bob

"The weight of each piece of individual luggage should not exceed 20kg. to ensure ease of handling.

If an individual piece of luggage exceeds 20kg, you will be delayed at embarkation, and may be asked to remove items or re-pack your bags. You may also find that your luggage is delayed at disembarkation, if your bags exceed this weight.

Note: You may bring as many bags as you can comfortably fit in your stateroom"

Unless your bags are very overweight there is never any problem. We have embarked many times with weights 5kg or so overweight and the cases have been half way to the ship before we were out of the car or bus.

David.

Unless your bags are very overweight there is never any problem. .

David,

The same could have been said about the airlines a few years ago. I don't think anyone here can guarantee that the overweight bag situation today is the same now as it was in the past. I don't recall seeing this explicit warning on the printed luggage tags prior to this year. In any event, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Bob

Why are people who are saying about how HEAVY their cases are, not worried about the poor guys who actually have to lift them and move them around.A hint of selfishness there one feels.

As I said earlier if I cannot lift them, why should I expect anyone else to!

Unless you are flying you can take more than 1 case.

Why are people who are saying about how HEAVY their cases are, not worried about the poor guys who actually have to lift them and move them around.A hint of selfishness there one feels.

As I said earlier if I cannot lift them, why should I expect anyone else to!

Unless you are flying you can take more than 1 case.

You're quite right, it is selfish to expect porters to be able to lift suitcases.