Limited to 20kg per suitcase on embarkation

Stellenbosch

Hi All,

I have just read up that you can bring as many suitcases you like, but each individual case must not be more than 20kg . If it is over the limit you can be asked to repack your bags at embarkation . I do understand that it is for handling purposes, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this on embarkation? We are boarding the QV in Sydney and our airline is allowing us more than 20kg per suitcase and as we will be many days at sea I am taking full advantage of the airline limit........I know hubby is quite happy with 20kg, less for him to carry, but what about all my shoes!!

We have sailed before with Cunard and was not aware of this and I am sure I was way over the 20 kg each time so would be interested to hear if this is something new and has it happened to anyone when boarding.

Many thanks

It's annoying I know. To join our cruise in Dubai the airline allows us 32 kgs per case per person, but can only take 3 cases per person - therefore because of the dockside and ship restrictions, we can really only take 3x 20 kgs each. Unless of course, we repack at the pier!!!

Edited by cruiseluvva

Hmm -- last year, we had 3 back to back cruises with Cunard (from Southampton) -- so luggage was going off and on, off and on. Our cases were about 28 Kg each and we had no problem with that. In fact, I didn't even know of a 20 Kg restriction.

Barry

Thank you all for your input. We probably will put a fold up soft bag in one of the suitcases and if this issue arises then we will repack!!
It is always a good idea to carry an extra soft bag in your luggage. Nothing to do with Cunard's weight restriction (our largest suitcase is always at least 30kg and has never been questioned boarding at NYC) and everything to do with returning home with lots of gifts and goodies.

I have had a situation with weight of a bag once on a Voyage. The bag weighed in at 54 lbs. about 24.5kg for those that use metrics. The first problem was with AMTRAC train service forcing me to unload 4 lbs of items or they would not allow me to carry the bag onto the train. Really!!

Then at the dock for QM2 I got out of the way to expensive yellow cab and started to repack my bag that I was going to role on the ship myself and the baggage handler came up and insisted he would take the bag and get it on the ship. He saw me putting my shoes and stuff back in the bag and said "stop, is that bag over 50 lbs??" and I related my story to him about the 4 lbs over weight for AMTRAC train travel and he started to laugh, sharing the story with another guy on the dock and they both laughed. I finished putting my stuff in the case and rolled it up to him. He looked at me, picked up the case a bit, put it down and said "nope, over weight". Loud laughter ensued after a brief moment of silence. And he took the suit case and put it in the cart with one hand. He stood there a moment, looking at me and I said, "do you want a tip?" then a brief moment of silence and I started to laugh loudly.

Of course I slipped him 10 dollars. But it just goes to show you it all depends on who you run into at the place they take your bags. Or this story has no point at all because it is too cold to think here.

It's annoying I know. To join our cruise in Dubai the airline allows us 32 kgs per case per person, but can only take 3 cases per person - therefore because of the dockside and ship restrictions, we can really only take 3x 20 kgs each. Unless of course, we repack at the pier!!!

Are you sure abut this? The economy luggage allowance to Dubai is 32 kg per person in total. Additionally you can have up to 3 cases, but the total weight of the 3 cases must not exceed 32kg.

Even flying business class and with a Gold Card, you wouldn't get an allowance per person of 3 cases at 32kg. That would be 96kg! Would hate you to incur excess baggage charges!

Edited by Bedruthen

Are you sure abut this? The economy luggage allowance to Dubai is 32 kg per person in total. Additionally you can have up to 3 cases, but the total weight of the 3 cases must not exceed 32kg.

Even flying business class and with a Gold Card, you wouldn't get an allowance per person of 3 cases at 32kg. That would be 96kg! Would hate you to incur excess baggage charges!

Thanks for your concern, but the BA economy allowance is 23kgs unless on a fully flexible economy ticket, in which case it's 2x23kgs.

First and Club are 3x32kgs pp, the same as VA. I promise you this is correct, it's on their site, on our E-ticket paperwork and in any case it's the allowance we always get. But it's academic since we can't have luggage that heavy to comply with Cunard.

Edited by cruiseluvva

When we go to Dubai, I've got 3 x 32kg on my luggage allowance with VA and hubby has 40kg with Qantas, combined in whatever way he wants, so will try to keep it within a reasonable amount. We use the digital scales at home to check before we leave anyway.

Whenever we've rolled up at Southampton though our cases have always been taken off us without any diffciulty. We usually load the medium one up heavier and the weight always surprises the men taking it compared to the larger ones which tend to be a little lighter. They've always been over 20kg, usually in the region of about 25kg each and so far, we've never had a problem.

Usually, I carry munchies in the case to eat in the cabin at various times of the day, ie Pringles (and Haribo for him) but won't bother this time and will just pick them up in Dubai so will carry those on by hand. The weight can often be the champagne I pack inside each case to drink in the cabin and of course shoes which is a compulsory :D for me.

Lynne

Hi Lynne

We always take a few bottles of fizz in our cases too. Is that ok going into Dubai I wonder? Have never thought of taking nibbles for in cabin munching, but thinking of the fabulous food on offer, maybe best if I leave it at home :D

Last time we asked to swap our canapés for assorted nuts, which wasn't a problem, trouble was every evening we got another enormous bowlful, that we munched our way through! And nuts are very calorific - must remember not to do that this time!

Edited by cruiseluvva

Bedruthen - I think you're on our voyage. Emirates has the best economy baggage allowance at 30kg around whereas VS and BA have only 23kg. It's when you start going up the cabins the allowances get better.

BA do offer the best hand baggage allowance though at 23kg (as long it's within a certain size). EK/VS only offer 7kg.

Gill - Dubai allow 4 litres of spirits into the country against the UK 2 litres and you don't have to buy it at LHR, you can purchase it in arrivals at DXB which is quite convenient. My plan is to pack some in cases and then buy a couple of vintage at the airport as a treat, while hubby purchases his single malts. 20 nights is a long time (+1 night in Dubai) with a lot of sea days. We only usually go for shorter voyages.

I always pack munchies as I enjoy a tipple while on the balcony watching the waves and very rarely have lunch so it tides me over until dinner quite nicely.

Lynne

imo the weight limit is to protect the many people who sort and move the luggage by hand.

These people are mainly ordinary staff and move thousands of pieces of luggage on an embarkation/disembarkation day and we try to respect that by not exceeding that limit.

A foldable bag is always a good idea - just in case.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Lynne

Well I think you've sold me on the idea of taking a few nibbles! Although we are on a couple of days less than you, we actually have as much time at sea, if not more, especially as I don't plan to go ashore at all in Egypt :eek:, but I love sea days best, so it isn't in anyway a hardship.

Thanks for the info that taking some champagne in won't be a problem. We'll be given spirits onboard, but bubbles are always my favourite ;) apart from the dreaded Pol Acker!

Just waiting for a cabin number now.......

imo the weight limit is to protect the many people who sort and move the luggage by hand.

These people are mainly ordinary staff and move thousands of pieces of luggage on an embarkation/disembarkation day and we try to respect that by not exceeding that limit.

A foldable bag is always a good idea - just in case.

I absolutely agree with you but it doesn't seem reasonable for Cunard to have a lower allowance than the airlines. The airline employees move the baggage as well. I think it's a lot to expect...to have passengers pay the airline fees for extra bags for a few pounds difference. With Cunards dress codes, it's not easy to even stay within the airlines limit, so we already have to pay for one extra bag.

I absolutely agree with you but it doesn't seem reasonable for Cunard to have a lower allowance than the airlines. The airline employees move the baggage as well. I think it's a lot to expect...to have passengers pay the airline fees for extra bags for a few pounds difference. With Cunards dress codes, it's not easy to even stay within the airlines limit, so we already have to pay for one extra bag.

I tend to agree with Brigitteton as we are flying with Emerites and they allow 30kg and on our return we are flying with BA and their allowance is 23kg......more than what Cunnard is requesting us to keep to.

We today watched the QM2 sail from Cape Town and we noticed people with rather large suitcases and they were not asked to repack. On a side note, felt sorry for the passengers on QM2 this evening as the ship left in very unexpected thick fog which denied them the view of the famous Table Mountain. On the other hand they went down to a scrumptious 5 course dinner, where as hubby and I came home to scrambled eggs!! LOL

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. I will pack in a fold up bag just in case.

I pity the poor crew who have to shift some really heavy bags and many crew are quite small people - not generally 6 foot heavyweights.

On the subject of taking alcohol into Dubai, I read recently that bottles bought in duty free London were confiscated as they were not in sealed bags. Don't know how common this is.The wine is more expensive in Dubai duty free than LHR and LGW duty free. I would be afraid of bottles bursting in suitcase.

I tend to agree with Brigitteton as we are flying with Emerites and they allow 30kg and on our return we are flying with BA and their allowance is 23kg......more than what Cunnard is requesting us to keep to.

We today watched the QM2 sail from Cape Town and we noticed people with rather large suitcases and they were not asked to repack. On a side note, felt sorry for the passengers on QM2 this evening as the ship left in very unexpected thick fog which denied them the view of the famous Table Mountain. On the other hand they went down to a scrumptious 5 course dinner, where as hubby and I came home to scrambled eggs!! LOL

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. I will pack in a fold up bag just in case.

I have never had any query raised when boarding any Cunard ship and I assure you that my bags have often weighed more than a girly 20kg. The logistics of a stevedore weighing the bag and then catching up with me or contacting me boggles my mind. I believe that it is or may be a health and safety requirement to have limits but I would offer that if the bag is too heavy for one man to handle, he might ask a co-worker to give him a lift.

Actually, thinking it over......I would guess they came up with a limit simply because of some extreme baggage brought by some. Many drive to the port and don't worry about baggage weight whatsoever. Setting a low limit will get the desired results.....knowing most will exceed the low limit but will not abuse.