To Old For Excursion??

notree

I was signing up my family for a beach/snorkel excursion and I was denied early booking because of my age? This would not really bother me but just having finished a half marathon ..my feeling are hurt! I really believe I can snorkel a bit! Is this the providers policy or Royal Caribbean's? Is the ship board policy the same as on line?

I was signing up my family for a beach/snorkel excursion and I was denied early booking because of my age? This would not really bother me but just having finished a half marathon ..my feeling are hurt! I really believe I can snorkel a bit! Is this the providers policy or Royal Caribbean's? Is the ship board policy the same as on line?

There are age restrictions on some excursions, and generally these are insurance-liability related.

Just book a private excursion. Usually they are less expensive and often better than ship's excursions.

:)

There are age restrictions on some excursions, and generally these are insurance-liability related.

Just book a private excursion. Usually they are less expensive and often better than ship's excursions.

:)

Make sure you take a private excursion that involves snorkling that is not to tiring. You may be required to swim away from the boat and then get back to be picked up. <ake sure you are with someone when you are snorkling at all times. Currents and boat waves can easily push you away from the boat that you have to return to.

Unfortunately, this type of age discrimination is allowable for liability reasons. We did a Segway excursion that had an age 65 limit and I know a lot of people older than that who would have no trouble driving a Segway. Oh well, as Merion Mom suggested, look for a private tour instead - do your research and I'm sure you will find a reputable one.

But, went to the tour desk....gave them the chance to see me, they immediately allowed me to sign up.

Note, it is not RCI that placed the restriction, it was the tour operator.

Yes, you will get some seniors who have "accumulated' excess weight over the years, thus the exclusion.

I would prefer they gave an IQ test before they let some clowns sign up for snorkeling...Over the years have seen too many LOW IQ folks, stand on coral and yell "Look at me" or words to that effect...Not remembering that they were told to stay off the coral..it will KILL it.

Good Luck getting what you want.

I was in pretty good shape several years ago when I did a pirate ship snorkeling excursion. They anchored a ways from the reefs and it was a real effort to get back to the ship. I almost decided not to wear a life jacket but was glad I did as the currents made the trip back to the ship really tough and I'm a pretty good swimmer. Probably at 71 couldn't make it now.

Congratulations on the half marathon! 13.1 is diverging to be proud of at any age, young or old. Was this your first?

I have been running for a very long time. several full marathons a long time ago and 12 1/2 marathons. As stated above I had to slow down as age does become a factor and knowing your limitations is always prudent. But this was a shocker!! first time I have been told NO in a long time!

Ridiculous age discrimination! There are much younger people in terrible shape and who would not be up to many of the excursions. Age does not preclude health and/or fitness. My husband and I are 69 and 61 and usually pass up the younger people. But I agree. Private excursions are usually cheaper and better. All of those we have booked on our upcoming b2b Caribbean cruises are private and many include snorkeling.

and in great shape, play racquet ball with young guys and win once in a while. However no matter I am 73, not ever one is like me and unfortunately many believe they are still in there 40's or deny that they are older and more frail. We have been on toooooo many excursions where some just could not do the exercise needed and held the group back.

Having said that, I do not know how anyone can realistically judge how fit a person is regardless of age, so they just set a arbitrary , unfair or not, of a age limit, for legal reasons.

But I heard that after 75 I will not be able to rent a car!!!!!!!

Hello Notree, Would you mind saying how old you are? It just never occurred to me that one of these days, they might refuse me for my age. I'd like to know how close I am to that day.

Hello Notree, Would you mind saying how old you are? It just never occurred to me that one of these days, they might refuse me for my age. I'd like to know how close I am to that day.

You can check out all the excursions here, you will get any age restriction and weight limit also

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/shoreExcursions/types.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=2&snav=11

On my last cruise I did a private Segway tour, the ships excursion said I was too old

Edited by setsail